Upcoming News Story

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Upcoming News Story

Post by oldsalt1 »

I had a very pleasant interview with reporter from the NY POST . Dave who also read her previous article also feels that she is at least sensitive to our cause. She asked me all of the normal questions what type of skirts do I wear, when do i wear them . where do i wear them and of course the big one WHY DO I WEAR THEM.

I guess I gave her all of the stock answers They are comfortable. its nice to have a choice .they are cooler in the summer. we talked on for a while . all of the time trying to come up with that deep definitive answer.

I am in my 70's so my prospective may me different from our younger members. This was the final shall we say my answer to WHY. I told Her that I am not gay. I don't plan to become a woman. I am not trying to bring attention to myself. But just maybe this is my form of rebelling against a life of doing the norm , what is expected ,conforming to what is accepted.

I am still thinking on this. I don't know if this is the final answer but I feel there has to be something more that one day just picking up a skirt and say I think I 'll wear this.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

This relates to a thought I've been having recently about young boys wearing skirts or dresses. And based on the reading and thinking I've done, it seems there are two scenarios.

In the first, the boy feels he should be a girl, and then decides that one way of doing that is to wear girl's clothes.

In the second, the boy just likes the look of girl's clothes better. Kids usually like strong vibrant colors, and maybe the girls' clothes just seem that way to him. Kids also like soft fluffing things like stuffed animals, and maybe he sees girls' clothes as softer and fluffier.

I mean, how does a boy decide which of two shirts he likes better? Or which of two pair of shorts? It seems pretty arbitrary.

In some parallel universe where all women wore pants and all men wore skirts, would a non-gender-conforming boy then want to wear pants?

And would the other boy still like skirts and dresses not because they denote gender, but because of colors and fluffiness or whatever?

In my reading, most kids who are really cross-gender stay that way all their lives, and end up living as the alternative gender. But those who just like skirts for some other reason usually grow out of it before their teens.

Caveats: Of course all the above operates in reverse for girls. And real life is never so binary as these two scenarios might suggest.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:In the first, the boy feels he should be a girl, and then decides that one way of doing that is to wear girl's clothes.
This is the commonest scenario, and is likely one of the roots of "Orthodox Crossdressing" (another being the thrill of the forbidden) where one believes that one must somehow shift over completely to an alternate persona in order to change one's clothes. It's rubbish, of course, as we demonstrate here, but it's something that's deeply ingrained in our society.
In the second, the boy just likes the look of girl's clothes better. Kids usually like strong vibrant colors, and maybe the girls' clothes just seem that way to him. Kids also like soft fluffing things like stuffed animals, and maybe he sees girls' clothes as softer and fluffier.
This is the simpler and more direct of the two scenarios brought up -- and likely the more sane of the two because it gets rid of the "gender baggage" that gets placed on articles of clothing. It's also the most rational. Of course it's also the one less-frequently used.

Children tend to be pretty "gender fluid" anyway since they're in the process of learning about how their own bodies work (there's no instruction manual) and about how the world around them works both societally and scientifically. Left to their own devices they usually line up pretty well gender-aligned with their birth sex although not always. The number who "don't line up" may be a societal artefact caused by shifts in what's considered "acceptable behaviour" for the genders at any given time, and that has the potential to cause real angst and mis-diagnosis of a "disorder" where, in fact, there really isn't one (viz the number of children who spend much of their childhoods doped up because of the fear of "Attention Deficit Disorder" -- what used to be called "childhood"). Highly probably the amount of sexualisation of children and the level of demands for rigid gender-conformity (of the new definitions) is doing vast amounts of damage that needn't -- and shouldn't -- be done.

Of course the above is entirely likely to be branded as heretical because it doesn't conform to the "reality" that our society (and the interests that drive it) demands -- and that society now demands diagnoses of disorder whenever a man steps one iota out of the modern boundaries that are prescribed for him (and that's a box that's been shrinking for decades) -- and what is not prescribed is vehemently proscribed. That "diagnosis" is then used to shame the individual out of that particular behaviour or shuffle him off into a separate box where he can be dutifully watched. Given that, one begins to appreciate the level of guts that a bloke shoving on a skirt in the morning is actually displaying; in a very real sense he is raising his middle finger at a large swathe of "society" (or, more correctly, that society's version of reality).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:
Caultron wrote:In the first, the boy feels he should be a girl, and then decides that one way of doing that is to wear girl's clothes.
This is the commonest scenario, and is likely one of the roots of "Orthodox Crossdressing" (another being the thrill of the forbidden) where one believes that one must somehow shift over completely to an alternate persona in order to change one's clothes...
That may a third scenario, but it's neither of the ones I meant.

The one I meant was, "Oh, I've decided/discovered that I'm actually a girl. Well then, how do girls dress?"

Yours above seems to be, "Oh, I want to wear skirts, but only girls wear skirts, so I need to transform myself into a girl."

The last one, then, remains, "Oh, I want to wear skirts, but only girls wear skirts, but so what? I'm going to wear one anyway."

And no doubt there are an infinity of scenarios inbetween.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Carl wrote:...The number who "don't line up" may be a societal artefact caused by shifts in what's considered "acceptable behaviour" for the genders at any given time, and that has the potential to cause real angst and mis-diagnosis of a "disorder" where, in fact, there really isn't one...
This is a question I think is all to frequently not asked when it should be, or shouted down by the shrill transsexual folk under the claim that the asker is denying the existence of real transsexual cases. Makes one contemplate just why the question offends them so...

To put it another way, if the question is (almost unnoticed to the older folk grown used to the system) hammered at little kids from infancy "You belong in small box M, but if you can shout loud enough we might let you change to small box F and all that entails", should it be surprising if some start thinking they belong in the opposite box when they really ought to (from vacuum!) muster up the courage to say "Neither. I belong in the great big world of M, taking this that and the other from box F"?
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nations divided by a common language

Post by oldsalt1 »

cr got an Email form Raquel Article is being published in Monday. She said she will send me the link.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Nations divided by a common language

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:[... G]ot an Email form Raquel Article is being published in Monday. She said she will send me the link.
Wonderful. I'll look for the story.

Here's hoping it's a good one!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Is this it? http://nypost.com/2016/10/01/macho-men- ... kirts-now/

Very good article I think.

And that guy looks amazing for a 60-year-old!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

That's The article Thank you for posting the link. Raquel the author of the story is very nice I had a few conversations with her. Its good to have some allies. She even told me that she told her husband to put on a skirt.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Well done Oldsalt1!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

There was a recent article on the TV in Australia (one of those magazine style current affairs programs - Channel 7's 60 minutes I think, Sunday 16 October) that was showing the "safe schools" initiative in Victoria, where certain schools would allow children to wear whatever items of school uniform they desired.
The program appeared to be very biased though, and featured interviews with parents that said that this was an extreme left wing initiative to teach acceptance of LGBT people/students etc to primary school age, some said that it is "encouraging cross-dressing" etc etc.....and "encouraging children (boys) to cross-dress".

What a load of ********.

They were suggesting that if a boy wanted to dress like a girl, that he is abnormal, trans-gender or whatever, and that is the ONLY reason that he would do it, they gave the example of a young boy that decided that he was a girl, and didn't want to be a boy, and how happy he was to be able to "be a girl"and wear the "girls" uniform, and play with girls........You get the idea.

Parents interviewed when asked if they were "religious" or not, they all said firmly no, but they all felt, with the exception of only the "trans girl's parents, that for a boy to wear "girls" clothes, was completely wrong.

Frankly, I don't think it was balanced, I wish they had seen articles such as the two detailed here on the NY post, that might have changed the situation slightly.

I think we need to try to get the ideas that it IS OK out there into the mainstream media far more, including here in (at times) backwards downunder Australia.
This is, assuming whether the media would even consider it "newsworthy", even from a "human interest" perspective...

Wonder if any of our Australian members saw this article on the idiot box?
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Have you got a link to the programme?
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

A link to the program, no I don't as it was on TV, someone may have recorded it and posted it to youtube.

Google "Channel 7 60 minutes Sunday 16 October Safe Schools" might turn something up.

Channel 7 does have a streaming app but it will likely recognise your IP as "out of area" if you are able to download that, and deny you the ability to view.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Quite a story.

I'm amazed that people could still see Briella's school as indoctrinating kids to change their sexuality and gender by telling them to be themselves.

Or as Carl would say, and I would agree, "People! Wake up! Smell the coffee! Don't you get that social environment is already trying to indoctrinate the Briellas of the world into believing they're something they're not.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.