Finding the right skirt but...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Yuki

Finding the right skirt but...

Post by Yuki »

So I was looking for a pleated skirt and while at the mall I found the exact style I wanted at a cool, but expensive, store called entwine. So I grab it off the clearance rack and look at the size. XS... and after a quick chat with an employee, that's the likely reason it was there in the first place. Turns out people that buy super small sizes usually just go the bigger brand name stores.

So the point of this is, if you find the "perfect" skirt but it's the wrong size, what do you do? And before anyone says it, they don't have an online store. In fact, while looking them up online I wonder if they have many stores.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Finding the right skirt but...

Post by crfriend »

Yuki wrote:So the point of this is, if you find the "perfect" skirt but it's the wrong size, what do you do?
If the skirt it slightly too big, one can alter it to "take it in" and make it fit. If the thing is too small to start with don't buy ii because there's usually not enough fabric to "let it out". Finally, if it's really the wrong size there's no hope so just move on to something else.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Find something that you really like and not in your size - now that is a problem but not all that bad.

First is this vintage wear where you are not likely to find it in your size in todays day and age:
then as CF noted if bigger make it smaller (carefully by alteration) if smaller think about adding a
panel or two in an inconspicuous place or if of contrast then in a boldly flashy place.
This may or may not be easy and inexpensive and then on the other hand at least rewarding to
see how things are constructed in your size - get a tape measure and with the vital statistics know
how far is too far and when to say when your budget exceeds your dimensions.

If of current stock - do some research on this internety thing:
Browse by name i.e. Nike; Adidas; Lord & Taylor etc. etc. Get the Skew number off of any tags or
from the sewn label inside the garment - the numbers on the laundry instructions tags etc.
Start with the store selling it - website - you can try to Google it - Ebay is another source.
Gather all the details about the item and crunch them to see what develops.
A custom item or a -one-off- will make the search difficult - but maybe Ebay will provide clues
with a SEARCH FOR SIMILAR ITEMS - "Try It - You Will Like It" or at least open other avenues of interest.

And if available in your area continue to shop the Value-Thrift-Goodwill-Salvation Army-Consignment
stores for something that catches your fancy. A good tailor/seamstress can do wonders for your fashion
desires ahem at a cost/price but you expected that didn't you ?!
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Yuki wrote:So I was looking for a pleated skirt and while at the mall I found the exact style I wanted at a cool, but expensive, store called entwine. So I grab it off the clearance rack and look at the size. XS... and after a quick chat with an employee, that's the likely reason it was there in the first place. Turns out people that buy super small sizes usually just go the bigger brand name stores.

So the point of this is, if you find the "perfect" skirt but it's the wrong size, what do you do? And before anyone says it, they don't have an online store. In fact, while looking them up online I wonder if they have many stores.
pleated skirt

There are lots of Pleated Skirts - you need to be a bit more specific.
Got access to ebay - use their SEARCH FIELD and put in Pleated Skirt and sample the results.
Did I open your eyes a bit - 150,000 pleated skirts - now work it down to what your interests are.

As for the size XS that is not the norm of discussion here at SC - ahem we usually fill out fashions in more ample terms !
So the store you found your fancy in did not have it in your size and a chat with a salesperson was not productive.

Look around a bit and see what is available in your price/size range.
To get here you no doubt read my previous post and that of CF.
There is enough clothing out there - just a matter of getting connected with it !

I see you that you recently joined us here at SC - "WELCOME" hope that your continued visits are rewarding and productive !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Right skirt but wrong size? Or, not sure about the size?
During the few months when I was buying skirts (I now have enough),
when I was shopping I took along a little metal measuring tape. I could
discreetly measure the waist size and maybe the hem length.
Especially useful in a place like Goodwill. I never had the nerve
to try skirts on in the store. So measuring them on the rack proved to be
very useful.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Bertino56 wrote: During the few months when I was buying skirts (I now have enough),
I guess you have much more self control than I. :P
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Using your tape measure is a great idea no matter where you shop; as I've said before, when it comes to skirts women's sizes are almost meaningless.

What's key is to find something that fits so that it is comfortable. If it isn't comfortable, you won't wear it. If you don't wear it, what's the point of owning it?
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote:Finally, if it's really the wrong size there's no hope so just move on to something else.
Good advice but a bitter pill. I have seen some skirts that I would really love but too small and no larger size found at any price.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Using your tape measure is a great idea no matter where you shop; as I've said before, when it comes to skirts women's sizes are almost meaningless.
I always carry a 2 metre tape (no I am not that large) in my backpack for that reason. Certainly I could try things on but quite often I just don't have the time.
The fact that it fits is a basic requirement but sometimes the cut and shape just doesn't sit right or have the look one hoped for and that only comes with trying on with a mirror.
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:What's key is to find something that fits so that it is comfortable. If it isn't comfortable, you won't wear it. If you don't wear it, what's the point of owning it?
More good advice. I have some skirts that I am unlikely to wear; never getting around to altering or losing that inch or so from the waist.
I have bought a couple of skirts that I knew would never fit but they were like works of art to me; reminded of their existence alone would lift my day.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

denimini wrote:
crfriend wrote:Finally, if it's really the wrong size there's no hope so just move on to something else.
Good advice but a bitter pill. I have seen some skirts that I would really love but too small and no larger size found at any price.
So true, the bane of shopping the clearance racks and thrift stores. I am at least going to start taking pictures of those ones which fall into the "If only!" category.

On a separate note, I feel my sewing skills are now finally getting beyond "hacking together with power tools" level, and am starting to make inroads on the pile of skirts and dresses that need modifying before wearing in public. Latest success is a nice wool light grey wrap skirt/kilt that will do nicely in the colder weather. It needed a good 3" taken out of the back to make it look right. It's wearable now, though I am going to go back and snug it just a bit more, make the pockets work, and fix the lining. Definitely a cold weather item though, I cooked wearing it a few weeks back.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I have taken pictures of a womens top that I found in a second hand shop and wanted but it was too small. Took pictures of the tags too. One day I was on Ebay and did a search for that brand and low and behold, found one in my size. I think I got very lucky. I imagine that if you keep looking on Ebay every once in a while you could increase your changes. It is still a very long shot though I'm sure.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Gordon wrote:I have taken pictures of a womens top that I found in a second hand shop and wanted but it was too small. Took pictures of the tags too. One day I was on Ebay and did a search for that brand and low and behold, found one in my size. I think I got very lucky. I imagine that if you keep looking on Ebay every once in a while you could increase your changes. It is still a very long shot though I'm sure.
Lucky ............ AND strategic.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I never carried the tape, and most generally I insist on trying on the skirt before I buy, which is also why I try not to skirt shop when I'm in a hurry as I need to make certain I have time to try them on.

The reason for this is that once in a while I purchase a skirt that fits fine, and yet for some reason of another just doesn't seem to suit me when I actually wear it. Now when I'm skirt shopping, I always try them on, and often times, I've been known to put one back on the return rack just because it didn't feel, or hang right on me.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Using your tape measure is a great idea no matter where you shop; as I've said before, when it comes to skirts women's sizes are almost meaningless.

What's key is to find something that fits so that it is comfortable. If it isn't comfortable, you won't wear it. If you don't wear it, what's the point of owning it?
You generally know what size you are skirt wise, as most know I like my denim pencil skirts, I'm between a 10 and a 12 depending where I buy them. Buying online means you always take a gamble as not each 'size 10' is the same. Send them back the same way they came, stick it on ebay, or to the thrift or charity shop :wink:
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

Shopping at Goodwill during the summer when I was wearing short sleeve shirts I had a mark on my arm that was the minimum 1/2 waist size a skirt could be. I would hold the skirt with my fingers and my thumb sticking out into the waist band. Then run the skirt down my arm so the opposite end of the waist was at the mark. If it failed to make the mark then the skirt would be too small. Much over the mark and it would be too big. As for length the I knew the length of my thumb to index finger stretched out was approximately 6". So I could get an good idea of the length by how many hand spans it took from waist to hem.

As a general rule, for me, a size 12 that is designed to fit lower toward the hips works out about right.