Tops from the other side of the aisle

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:Just bought and tried on my first top from the other side. Just a simple white dress shirt. It is amazing how much better a skirt looks with a shirt that is made for skirts.
How about a photo?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

photo would love to send a photo but I am so far behind with the current technology. As soon as i figure it out I will
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:photo would love to send a photo but I am so far behind with the current technology. As soon as i figure it out I will
  • Start composing the message as you normally would
  • At the bottom of the screen, click the Upload Attachment tab.
  • Click the Browse button.
  • A file selection list of some kind should appear -- whatever your computer uses for that. Select the photo you want and then click the usual button to proceed.
    In Windows, for example, clicking Browse should display a typical File Open dialog box. Select the file you want and then click Open.
  • Back on the Skirt Café page, click Add The File button (just to the right of Browse) to upload the photo.
  • The bottom of the Skirt Café page should now contain a Place Inline button. Set the cursor where, in your message, you want the photo to appear, and then click the Place Inline button.
  • Finish composting your message and then click Submit.
The most common problem is that the photo is too large. In that case, you'll need to use a photo-editing program to shrink the photo. If you don't know how to do that, post a question including the type of computer or phone and someone will help you through it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

ok will try hope i dont screw up and photo ends up on the cover of local rag mag
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:ok will try hope i dont screw up and photo ends up on the cover of local rag mag
If you put it in the "Pics and Looks" section, it should be safe from prying eyes. In order to access that one needs to be a member in good standing in the local community here. Search-engines, random browsers, and the like are specifically prohibited from access to that sub-forum.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Caultron wrote:Start composing the message as you normally would
At the bottom of the screen, click the Upload Attachment tab.
Click the Browse button.
A file selection list of some kind should appear -- whatever your computer uses for that. Select the photo you want and then click the usual button to proceed.
In Windows, for example, clicking Browse should display a typical File Open dialog box. Select the file you want and then click Open.
Back on the Skirt Café page, click Add The File button (just to the right of Browse) to upload the photo.
The bottom of the Skirt Café page should now contain a Place Inline button. Set the cursor where, in your message, you want the photo to appear, and then click the Place Inline button.
Finish composting your message and then click Submit.
How do you do bullet list?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:How do you do bullet list?
This:

Code: Select all

A bullet list starting with 3 rounds in the chamber:
[list]
[*] round 1
[*] round 2
[*] round 3
[/list]
... slide locks back.
produces this:

A bullet list starting with 3 rounds in the chamber:
  • round 1
  • round 2
  • round 3
... slide locks back.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have been surprised the past day or two. Due to the uncharacteristically hot weather, for England, I have been wearing a bog-standard purple strappy top as frequently displayed on the other side of the aisle. MOH has said nothing. Not a peep. Not a dicky bird. I even went out to Burger King for a meal order and there wasn't even the hint of an objection. So it appears that tops don't come into the same equation as skirts. Interesting. Hmmmmmm. :?

I haven't been wearing a skirt for the past week or so as my son's children have been visiting and I have agreed not to wear a skirt around them. Potentially causes problems with his ex. But they have seen me in the strappy top and nothing has been said. As I was exiting BK the heavens opened and there was a terrific downpour. I got soaked but the top dried quickly once back home.

Incidentally as my hearing aids had basically stopped working leaving me with very little hearing I went to the Audiology Clinic this morning in my knee-length denim skirt and it was all accepted without comment. MOH was at work so I felt I was allowed. Aids changed and I can hear once again.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: I haven't been wearing a skirt for the past week or so as my son's children have been visiting and I have agreed not to wear a skirt around them. Potentially causes problems with his ex. But they have seen me in the strappy top and nothing has been said. As I was exiting BK the heavens opened and there was a terrific downpour. I got soaked but the top dried quickly once back home.
I just purchased my first strappy top (spaghetti strap top) last week. I'd like to give it a wear perhaps on Saturday if I can find something to go with it. I wouldn't mind acquiring a few more if the look works.

This has expanded my clothing selection to:
  • Skirts
  • Dresses
  • Blouses
  • Tank tops
  • Spaghetti straps
  • Shoes
  • Tights
  • Leggings
  • Sweaters
  • One long winter coat
Yes... I wanted to test my bullets.... :lol:

Hey it works! Thanks Carl!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Is it just me (6ft tall) but I find that women's tops don't quite fit length-wise for me. Women generally have smaller torsos. Bottoms seem to fit just fine for me!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

renesm1 wrote:Is it just me (6ft tall) but I find that women's tops don't quite fit length-wise for me. Women generally have smaller torsos. Bottoms seem to fit just fine for me!
This likely varies widely with build. I'm 6'4" and I have three or four women's blouses that fit fine, the only proviso is that I had to go for a 2XL size to accommodate my shoulders. Sleeve length is a perennial problem, but that's the case with regular men's shirts as well.

The moral of the story is, "You won't know until you try it on."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
renesm1 wrote:Is it just me (6ft tall) but I find that women's tops don't quite fit length-wise for me. Women generally have smaller torsos. Bottoms seem to fit just fine for me!
This likely varies widely with build. I'm 6'4" and I have three or four women's blouses that fit fine, the only proviso is that I had to go for a 2XL size to accommodate my shoulders. Sleeve length is a perennial problem, but that's the case with regular men's shirts as well.

The moral of the story is, "You won't know until you try it on."
Ladies tops are shorter generally. With my body style, men's shirts have been known to go plumb down past my hips on occasion. Most of my women's tops terminate about an inch or two below the navel. My men's tee's (and what few shirts I used to have) would go down to my groin. I don't think it looks right with skirts... for me anyway.

I generally wear my skirts a couple inches above my navel, which I believe is about where most of them are supposed to rest anyway. With the top coming a few inches below, it affords me the ability to twist and move, raise my hands, etc and not have the top raise to the point where you can see skin. I'm not to sure if this is the "correct" way to wear my clothes, but it seems that for me, it works, and I'm satisfied with it. Additionally I get pretty good reviews on forums, flickr, facebook, etc so I guess I'm on the right track.

I've got some skater style skirts that I've recently started tucking my tops into. If you look at images on Google on how women wear those types of skirts, you'll notice they are quite high on the waist with the top tucked in. The result is what you see here, and I think it worked pretty well. This style would have looked fine not tucked in I believe (as I normally wear tops that way), but I thought I'd try something different that day....

When it comes to tucking tops in... I've found preference is literally six some, half dozen the other. I guess it's just a matter of the mood of the day... :)

Regardless... my tops really helped me pull some good looks off in skirts, and because I'm not very broad at the shoulder, I think they fit me better than most men's shirts. Men's shirts tend to look VERY baggy on me, the shoulders droop down, and the whole rig hangs very low. Even in smaller men's shirts, the shoulder fit just isn't right. That being said, I've seen many men in public that I have to say are so broad in the shoulder and have such a large "lumber jack" build that yes.... a women's top would probably look pretty odd on them....

Because women's tops tend to be a closer fit, and not as baggy, I find that they help accentuate certain curves of the torso/back which I believe makes many of my skirts look really nice. I've found that sometimes mixing men's and women's clothes is sometimes like mixing foreign and domestic car parts.... just doesn't work most of the time.
-Andrea
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Look around for tops in Tall sizes. The manufacturers are starting to notice that more women are taller than they were traditionally and have started catering to them. If they are available, I buy my Lands' End shirts/blouses in tall and I'm only 5'9". The longer body helps them to stay tucked in during the day and the slightly longer sleeve still works for me. The only problem is they cost $10 more. :|
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirted_in_SF wrote:more women are taller than they were traditionally
Growth hormones?
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

moonshadow wrote:
skirted_in_SF wrote:more women are taller than they were traditionally
Growth hormones?
Actually, I would venture a wild guess that it might not be so much that women are physically getting taller (maybe wider), but might have more to do with more women adopting male styles in dress, and men typically wear longer shirts.

Guys wear their trousers low on the waist generally, and of course, their shirts come down past their hips. Women, as in the case with virtually every other fashion trend are typically not far behind.
-Andrea