greetings all from northern Indiana

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: greetings all from northern Indiana

Post by Sinned »

I am in the same situation but I had some preparatory experiences so it wasn't a complete shock to MOH. The mistake I made in the early negotiations was to agree to only wear the skirts in the house and when no-one else was around. Of course she now expects to stick to that even though my feelings and so on have changed. After all you are a mature adult and shouldn't need her permission to wear a skirt. MOH is tolerant except when I want to wear a skirt outside. Don't make the mistake that I did and let her dictate when and where as this is taking a lot , and I mean a LOT, of baby steps to advance my cause. I am making progress as she knows that I wear them outside and I have NEARLY managed to get outside on an errand before she noticed. Be honest with her about what it means to you and that you are exactly the same person and she isn't going to lose you through this. She probably won't want to accompany you when you are skirted, mine won't. Aside from that look at the thread Difficulties with partners as there are a lot of words of wisdom about my situation and advice from others on this site without needing to repeat things. And good luck. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, lets not put the cart before the horse.... we haven't even established that she has a major issue with it. Seems like it's been quiet thus far. Might just be the usual questions "are you transitioning? Why are you doing this? Are you a crossdresser? yada yada...." Once those are ironed out it might not be so bad.

However generally speaking, it's usually not a good idea to keep things from the old lady. Keeping secrets from a woman is like building a huge dam out of mud. It WILL eventually break and when it does it will leave a path of destruction downstream.... :(

Step one: Tell the wife and kids
Step two: Inform close family
Step three: If you plan on a lot of public skirt outings, get it out at work... if it's going to be an issue, better to know now.

Regarding the church family. Unless you're strict Pentecostal, Apostolic, or fundamentalist then you may be okay. If you're any of those three... why are you wearing a skirt? :?

To my knowledge, there is one verse pertaining to men wearing clothing meant for women. There are also verses about body modifications, mixing fabrics, eating shell fish, pork, divorcing, marrying a woman who's not a virgin.... I'm sure you're not the only sinner.

Anyway... just be cool man! Don't treat it as a big deal, because it really isn't. My worst "out" experience was through work. And all through that discussion I just kept going back to how little of a deal it is... "all this fuss over a piece of fabric!"
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Sinned, thankyou for your advice. I am in the process of determining some guideline of what hopefully, we can both agree to. Good advice on agreement making set in stone.
I don't think I want to wear skirts publicly for now, but that may change, kilts for now. :| so I will be very careful on how our agreement is worded. So I'm not kicking myself for it later I will try to post soon how it all goes.

Mishawakaskirt. @2wayskirt on twitter
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Sure you don't want a lawyer present to look over the fine print? :lol: I wish that I had. Bit like the Ten Commandments chiselled in stone and about as unchangeable. Good luck anyway but be honest. I really am having difficulty convincing her that I'm not Bi/Transitioning/Transsexual/Crossdressing/etc. Came back yesterday from Jamaica after an overnight flight and cleaned up the sort of mayhem 4 cats can make when babysat by my son. Showered and put on underwear and a short skirt whilst MOH had to work and on her return her only comment was "You're into your skirts already, I see." I had only worn a sarong, folded in half lengthwise and worn skirt style during the two weeks! I mean, what was she expecting? I said that it was quick to put on and cool after the shower. See what I have to put up with?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Sinned wrote:Sure you don't want a lawyer present to look over the fine print? :lol: I wish that I had. .....
Showered and put on underwear and a short skirt whilst MOH had to work and on her return her only comment was "You're into your skirts already, I see." I had only worn a sarong, folded in half lengthwise and worn skirt style during the two weeks! I mean, what was she expecting? I said that it was quick to put on and cool after the shower. See what I have to put up with?
Sounds kinda like my wife but on other things, its amazing how snarky and biting. My wifes comments can be when she don't aprove of something. :( wives can be amazing people, lover, mother, companion, friend, and worst critic.

I guess all we can do is keep loving them, and hope for the best. A more accepting wife.

Mishawakaskirt

mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

moonshadow wrote:Well, lets not put the cart before the horse.... we haven't even established that she has a major issue with it. Seems like it's been quiet thus far. Might just be the usual questions "are you transitioning? Why are you doing this? Are you a crossdresser? yada yada...." Once those are ironed out it might not be so bad.

However generally speaking, it's usually not a good idea to keep things from the old lady. Keeping secrets from a woman is like building a huge dam out of mud. It WILL eventually break and when it does it will leave a path of destruction downstream.... :(

Anyway... just be cool man! Don't treat it as a big deal, because it really isn't. My worst "out" experience was through work. And all through that discussion I just kept going back to how little of a deal it is... "all this fuss over a piece of fabric!"
Oh Moonshadow, I gotta say I love your humor and descriptive ness.
I have been at the base of one of those dams made of mud when it let loose. Not fun I m pretty sure there was some raw sewage piled up behind the dam when it let loose.
why I'm wanting to be extra cautious with the skirts.

No kids. So no problem there
I am deeply religious, have faith, so most people would be like you don't make sence man.
This topic has me way out on a limb, while i See skirts as just as another piece of fabric option one cause to cover there lower regions. I find most people religious or not get all bent out of shape on this topic, of men in skirts, where or how does one set that boundary? Is that questuon

mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Part two continued.
My phone did something stupid, at least I did loose what I typed already.

Clothing is a lillte bit of a grey area in the Bible . I believe what it says is valid and true but misunderstood. Wearing a skirt, kilt, longyi, sarong is ok, however dressing to appear as or be the opposite sex is wrong. You figure it is a form of lying. I have a cousin that calls it false advertising.
I could see that, most guys would be upset to find out the gal they are checking out is really a guy.
And vice versa. Never thought we might have to ask if ones under parts are original equipment.

More to comment on, just don't have the time now to do it.
Remain calm and skirt on

Mishawakaskirt

moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Part two continued.
My phone did something stupid, at least I did loose what I typed already.

Clothing is a lillte bit of a grey area in the Bible . I believe what it says is valid and true but misunderstood. Wearing a skirt, kilt, longyi, sarong is ok, however dressing to appear as or be the opposite sex is wrong. You figure it is a form of lying. I have a cousin that calls it false advertising.
I could see that, most guys would be upset to find out the gal they are checking out is really a guy.
And vice versa. Never thought we might have to ask if ones under parts are original equipment.

More to comment on, just don't have the time now to do it.
Remain calm and skirt on

Mishawakaskirt
As I have no religious or moral objection to men wearing skirts, full out crossdressing or any variation in between, I'm afraid I would not be the one to advise on how to work this out with regards to your religious convictions. I might suggest tagging Darrell or Bobmore on the subject, both who have participated in the thread linked to below on the matter of skirts, men, and Christian views. Also of note, Fred and Welshman are Christian as are a good many members here.
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18458
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, I would be a bit miffed to find out what I thought was a woman turned out to be a man. But I'm happily (?) married so no fear of that happening. Anyway what she'd do to me isn't worth thinking about, my imagination doesn't stretch that far. But that's not what we on this site are about. We just want some of the clothing freedom that women have centred primarily on the skirt or dress. We don't want to present as women, if that's your thing then there are many sites out there to cater for you particular taste. But yeah, I get sarcasm and some very biting comments but I won't give up - skirts are a part of my psyche now. Good luck.

As far as the Biblical times go neither men nor women wore trousers but clothes similar to what the Arabs wear now. Long flowing garments that trapped air and offered insulation from the heat. Their dress bears as much relevance to our western style as those worn in the hot climates such as the sarong. As my wife ways, "If you want to wear them go and live there.""
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Sinned wrote: As far as the Biblical times go neither men nor women wore trousers but clothes similar to what the Arabs wear now. Long flowing garments that trapped air and offered insulation from the heat. Their dress bears as much relevance to our western style as those worn in the hot climates such as the sarong. As my wife ways, "If you want to wear them go and live there.""
Of course there could be differences between male and female attire:
And I am one who does not adopt a western style as being an Asian I prefer eastern styles better (with a little western flavor) :D
らき☆
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Judah14,

I like the photograph, but it does show the inversion of the "peacock role" in the modern world.

It is only in the human species where the male is expected to be more drab than the female. This comes across not only in garb, but also in grooming. Men are expected to have "bankers' haircuts" instead of the flowing manes that are their birthright, they are expected to clothes themselves in things designed to make them fade into the wainscotting of society, and they are expected to defer in all manner so as to not annoy partners or other women in the audience. This needs to change.

Why should it be that only the female of the species be allowed bright vibrant colours? Sensuous fabrics that move and caress the body in motion? Interesting cuts and construction of the clothes? The eternal option of "one tube over two"? It's nonsensical and farcical on the face of it.

The problem is that most guys are mightily afraid of getting labelled as something that they're not, scared witless that their partners will think less of them if they deviate so much as one iota from the norm, an worried about getting the crud kicked out of them by less intelligent folks. I would posit it that our collective experience here indicates that the third possibility above is quite rare, the second almost universal, and the first somewhat common. With those points in mind, we're back to the problems with those closest to us, and the rest of the population can more or less be ignored, or looked at warily if the situation indicates.

With the exception of significant others and wives, the moral should be to "man up and do it." With regard to significant others and wives, do the best you can; it may be a losing battle.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, I agree which is why I like wearing bright colours and always have. You can't get much brighter than yellow which is a favourite of mine. I also like bright red but MOH is not so keen as she is/was a redhead and red is not a colour she can wear. It depresses me to look in the men's department of ANY major store and see black, blue, brown and possibly grey and then look at the women's section and see rainbows. Aaaarrrrgggghhhh :!:
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

I myself like bright colors too, and bright colors are common in men's fashion in countries like the Philippines, as they are appropiate for the climate.
らき☆
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

moonshadow wrote: As I have no religious or moral objection to men wearing skirts, full out crossdressing or any variation in between, I'm afraid I would not be the one to advise on how to work this out with regards to your religious convictions. I might suggest tagging Darrell or Bobmore on the subject, both who have participated in the thread linked to below on the matter of skirts, men, and Christian views. Also of note, Fred and Welshman are Christian as are a good many members here.
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18458
Good, interesting thread, I read every post contained in that thread. Good many thoughts and discussion.

mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

2016 Olympics

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Watching the Olympic opening session.

I have seen at least 6 or 7 countries represent in some form on man skirt tonight.
Bring on the MUGS!

Mishawakaskirt. @2wayskirt on Twitter