Earrings!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Earrings!

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote:I had a childhood phobia of needles and thus never had my ears pierced.
I have a significant needle phobia too, but as long as I don't see them I'm fine. The person who did my piercing had me seated in a reclining chair that was nearly horizontal. He did the deed from behind me and I never saw the needles (one for each ear).
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Most shops that do piercings anymore do not use needles to do the deed for earrings. The starter stud is placed in a gun made for the job and holds the keeper in the correct location behind the ear so that when the gun is fired the stud goes through the ear and into the keeper so its a one shot operation. The most you will feel is a poking sensation as the gun is fired. Locating the spots on the earlobe for the earrings so that they look even takes more time than the actual piercing operation. While not completely "painless" it really is only a mild discomfort. Getting both sides done only takes about 3 minutes at the most. The most uncomfortable part is the turning and cleaning of the stud while the ear heals. The most inconvenient part is having to have the stud in continuously for about a month and then everyday for the next month. After about a year of continuous wear the opening tends to remain so such that once a month is enough to keep it open. I have reached the point where I can go several months and still have no problem putting a pair in when I want to.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

My first few piercings were starter studs from a gun and I had trouble with all of them. The stud was too short from the head to the clip and when my ear swelled from the intrusion there wasn't enough space and the hole became overgrown and painful.

So my advice is to find a sterile and reputable piercing shop and close your eyes.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I strongly recommend that stud guns not to be used for piercing. I've heard too many stories of ears getting infected and they have to take the stud out to clean and apply ointment and the hole heals over. It is better to use a hypodermic needle and a small hoop. that way you can turn the hoop while in the shower or when applying ointment to guard against infection.

References should you be interested:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/ ... d-dangers/
http://www.safepiercing.org/learn/piercing/faq/ scroll down to "What is the APP Position on Ear Piercing Guns?"
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

When my GF did mine, she used a sewing needle, and not an especially sharp one, as I still recall the crunch when it went through. I had iced my lobes and pickled myself pretty well with something strong.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

No piercings here. I have thought it might be fun, and the comments of the folks in the thread have encouraged those musings.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Gordon wrote:References should you be interested:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/ ... d-dangers/
http://www.safepiercing.org/learn/piercing/faq/ scroll down to "What is the APP Position on Ear Piercing Guns?"
I think safepiercing or a site like it was where I read up on getting ears pierced. The piercing shop (on the famous Haight Street 8) ) was much more expensive than free with a pair of earrings from a mall shop, but worth it for my peace of mind. The guy who did mine spent a fair amount of time marking exactly where the holes were to go.
Stuart Gallion
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Orange Apple wrote:No piercings here. I have thought it might be fun, and the comments of the folks in the thread have encouraged those musings.
I thought about it for a long time before I finally did it.
Stuart Gallion
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

I have been thinking about what Gordon stated about the horror stories that have been told from folks that had piercings done with the Stud Guns. In pondering the issue I wonder what the problem actually was with the folks that developed the problems. Did they not perform the tasks given them when the piercing was done to prevent those very issues from occurring or did something actually go wrong with the piercing itself. You should be advised that as with any operation that involves cutting through the skin there are risks and complications that can develop and just might no matter how its done. I do not have the statistics available but I would think that 1000's of piercings are done everyday using the Stud Guns and only a few develop any difficulties. Of course you hear about those but Nery a peep from the many hundreds that do not. I had mine done using the guns many years ago and today I can go for several months without having and earring in and I still have no problem with putting a pair in when I want to. Others I know of can't go longer than a week without putting a pair in and not have the piercing start to close up on them. Maybe I'm just a fortunate one but I'm not complaining at all now.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

i did all of mine myself when i was about 17, used a safety pin (sterilised it first) and just pushed it through ... no numbing with ice, that's for whimps :D
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Reaper_Man wrote:i did all of mine myself when i was about 17, used a safety pin (sterilised it first) and just pushed it through ... no numbing with ice, that's for whimps :D
The ice doesn't work too good anyway.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

RM, they must make us harder up here in the north. I did mine myself also, no ice.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

Sinned wrote:RM, they must make us harder up here in the north. I did mine myself also, no ice.
ice is for those southern softies lol :D
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Reaper_Man wrote:ice is for those southern softies lol :D
Nah... It's just so cold in the empty, frozen wastes north of Watford that your ears are already frozen :D

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Sir! as a proud Son of the State of Texas I do take exception to the use of the word "soft".
I shall have my representative call on you in the morning to receive your acceptance of my challenge to a duel! I suggest sir that The weapons shall be piercing needles at the distance of 2 inches! No ice is allowed!
Just kidding! LOL!
BTW today is international piercing day! I didn't know that until just a bit ago.
Since I'm a long way from Texas and live in snow country I guess I case could be made for the frozen brain. When it gets down to 20 below zero here and the wind is blowing I wonder if that's what's wrong with me for being here!
I have very much been enjoying the thread!
Take care everybody
Bill answer Brinkley the exuberant my Leader Dog extraordinaire!
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS