Does skirting help you relax

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Does skirting help you relax

Post by hairy »

I think I got into wearing skirts as a way to escape from myself, I needed to feel free, relaxed and get rid of some stress. I find that I feel loads better wearing my skirts, any depression that I suffer from has been lower since I've been able to go out with wife skirted. I've had a life full of stress and worries and my wife tells me that I've been so much better when in my skirts, I'd say I am much less depressed and I get more depressed IF I can't be skirted for any reason.
I wonder if this is the case for many others on SC? From what I see I think its the case for many of us.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Does skirting help you relax

Post by john62 »

For some reason I also feel more relaxed in skirts, knowing full well most people think I am quite odd to say the least, wearing skirts feels just so good!

John :D
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

This is a little hard to articulate, but I feel more alive when I wear a skirt. It seems that I am more aware of my environment and what is going on around me. Maybe this effect will fade with time as the novelty wears off, but at least for now that's the way it's affecting me. I also feel some sense of accomplishment and pride.

So, no, I wouldn't tag it with "relax" but definitely a positive experience.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Orange Apple wrote:This is a little hard to articulate, but I feel more alive when I wear a skirt. It seems that I am more aware of my environment and what is going on around me. Maybe this effect will fade with time as the novelty wears off, but at least for now that's the way it's affecting me. I also feel some sense of accomplishment and pride.

So, no, I wouldn't tag it with "relax" but definitely a positive experience.
I concur; "alive" and "positive experience" sum it up nicely. Relax really isn't the word for the effect it has for me, personally. The "gender-bending" non-conformist aspect of it is sort of a natural invigoration to me, actually. I think it's mostly the fact that it makes me feel unique, being both "like the crowd" in most ways, but then making myself "different from the crowd" wherever I go in a skirt; maybe liberating is a good term. Whatever the source of satisfaction, it feels revelatory, natural, and honest, so, for me, I guess it's more or less an emotionally healthy sensation that I experience; almost purgative of my daily sameness. Maybe that drive is partly a product of age. I wish I had had the inner self-knowledge, and the social courage to begin when I was young. But in that era, it really just didn't occur to me to express myself that way, or even that I could express myself this way. I often wonder if something in me changed over time, or if the times simply changed and I followed.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

dillon wrote: Maybe that drive is partly a product of age. I wish I had had the inner self-knowledge, and the social courage to begin when I was young. But in that era, it really just didn't occur to me to express myself that way, or even that I could express myself this way. I often wonder if something in me changed over time, or if the times simply changed and I followed.
Both, I think.

The Internet gives us the opportunity to peek at what other people are doing, even if it's a tiny minority of the general population. All kinds of tiny minority groups have the opportunity now to exchange information and realize that they're not alone. Someone with a rare condition can now know that they're not alone. (Not insinuating that wearing a skirt is a "rare condition"!)

But age helps. We tend to have less need to fit in as we get older. Or maybe I should have said that young folks are very much a slave to peer pressure, and that tendency usually diminishes with age.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Perhaps I should have asked if it makes us feel more "alive" it certainly lifts me up, makes me feel more confident as well as happy. While actually getting into wearing skirts can be a little stress full at times once I got into the full swing of things and being seen out and about it has become very relaxing, certainly would beat any medication for depression I've been offered, and yet I've let my doctor know about my skirting and how I feel better but he does not see how it could help. Maybe he should try it, he might join us.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

hairy wrote:Perhaps I should have asked if it makes us feel more "alive" it certainly lifts me up, makes me feel more confident as well as happy. While actually getting into wearing skirts can be a little stress full at times once I got into the full swing of things and being seen out and about it has become very relaxing, certainly would beat any medication for depression I've been offered, and yet I've let my doctor know about my skirting and how I feel better but he does not see how it could help. Maybe he should try it, he might join us.
Adrenalin is a very potent hormone and has huge effects, both long and short term, on how we feel. Anything that triggers the release of this hormone is going to have a significant effect on us, and I do think that wearing a skirt qualifies - certainly during the early times when you are sure everyone is staring at you (or going to stone you) but I don't think it ever becomes completely routine.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

For me wearing a skirt was liberating and so restful that I soon went to full time wearing. I found that I really enjoy the skirts. I actually feel better when skirted than even when just sitting at home in undies at night watching the boob tube. There is something that is most elevating about being skirted.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Got to say no.
Wearing a skirt is my routine.
Relaxed, that means whatever I choose!
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't think a skirt helps me relax. I do feel natural and relaxed in a skirt and only feel stressed when MOH has a go. Do I feel alive when skirted - yes, I suppose so but I am generally on a mission when out as I have things to do so don't really take much notice what those around me are doing or saying.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I'm very fortunate to have so much support for my skirting from other the members of my church.

Among the early responses were very warm hugs and my becoming more of a hugger. One woman says I'm "gentler" when in a skirt or dress. The first time I came in a dress one of the men said, "Thank you for trusting us with your true self." And so I became less guarded, which is certainly part of being relaxed.

Fairly recently another woman told me that one of the reasons people support my wearing skirts and dresses to church is that they see I'm happier for my doing that and they're glad for me.

And then last week I was going to change things up and wear pants to church. While I was getting ready I got into a row with my estranged family, which was very upsetting and kind of depressing. I thought I'd wear a dress because that would make me feel better and it did!

About the only exception is that I sometimes feel self-conscious or wonder if I have worn out people's welcome of my skirting. Generally I get over the self-consciousness pretty quickly and haven't seen any real signs of having worn out that welcome.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I think I have become a very relaxed person over the years, and certainly less emotional than I was in my 20s. People have remarked to me at various times how surprised they are that I don't get worked up when I lose my door keys, my wallet is stolen, or part of my roof gets blown away. But this has nothing to do with the clothes I choose to wear; it's just a matter of coming to terms with the ups and down of life.

Some of you have written that you feel more relaxed, happy, alive or liberated when in skirts. I really cannot compare, as I can barely remember what it felt like to be out and about in trousers -- except that they were often uncomfortable.

Martin
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, I'm usually relaxed, too old to be anything else. However, wearing skirts makes me feel mellow and more at ease with the world. And because public skirting is so much fun, I feel happier as well.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

I certainly feel a 'positive experience' when I am wearing a skirt, which leads me to feel happier/more content with life.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Wearing skirts and clothing that I prefer to wear and not what society expects me to wear makes me more relaxed, alive and yes less stressed. They make me feel confident, my trueself. The reason is simply you are being you. Being forced or subdued due to others opinions will and does 'close' a person down and yes depression for some and with varying degrees.

Genderbending, non-conformist and other similar terms perhaps if we are to remain with society labels and expectations but I simply look at it as freedom of choice, freedom of expression, a right. Absolutely no different to women who have changed their dress preference for the very same reasons. All reasons for or against a man who wishes to be himself applies equally to women who want to be themselves. Men like here on SC may be a minority, a small minority but it is no different to the early women a few decades ago who made a stand to be their true selves. Well done them and well done us.

Be yourself, be proud, be confident, be relaxed, be alive.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.