Hi everyone

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
TopCat

Hi everyone

Post by TopCat »

Hi everyone

Really pleased to have found this forum, so wanted to say 'hello'.

I have had a fascination with women's clothes from an early age. This led me to acquiring a number of skirts over the years, but generally only wearing them indoors.

However, I found myself increasingly looking at women's clothing beyond skirts - there is just so much more choice and styles available for women than men.

I therefore decided that it was time to dress for me - after all, does anyone question a woman dressed in men's clothes?

The result is that I now have a wardrobe full of wonderful clothes which are comfortable, stylish and which I actually enjoy wearing - this includes skirts, dresses, tops, cardigans, jumpers, twinsets, tights, coats and boots.

When I go out now, I am wearing the clothes that I want to wear - I get a real 'buzz' out of wearing my clothes that have come from 'the other side of the aisle'.

I will admit that I felt self conscious on the first few occasions I went out dressed in women's clothes and that everyone was looking at me, but once I started feeling confident that soon passed - I now go out proud of what I am wearing! :D
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi everyone

Post by moonshadow »

Excellent! and welcome!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Like Moonshadow said.

Good for you!

Welcome to the Skirtcafe!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Welcome to the cafe!
You find us to be a interesting, good humored, fun loving bunch from all over the world.
Oh yea, and in skirts.
Welcome again from Northern IN
Life is more fun in skirts, life is complete when you shop both sides of the isle.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

:welcome:

Welcome TopCat. Skirt Cafe has a wide range of folks here; some very creative ones and a few cranky old curmudgeons like myself. Mostly, the theme is men expressing freedom of self, but as men. This, for some, means traditionally or specifically male garments like the kilt or skirts designed and made for men. For more of us, however, it means borrowing and adapting elements from traditionally female fashion. The latter, for this group, typically, and by the intent of the site, means not imitating the appearance of a woman but rather creating our own styles with things typically marketed on her side of the fashion aisle. The extent of that adaptation and borrowing is an occasional point of opinion and debate here, though usually with tolerance. You'll find there is a very wide range of fashion sense/taste represented, and, of course, common affirmations of the individual's natural rights in the ways he dresses and thinks.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

TopCat wrote:...When I go out now, I am wearing the clothes that I want to wear - I get a real 'buzz' out of wearing my clothes that have come from 'the other side of the aisle'.

I will admit that I felt self conscious on the first few occasions I went out dressed in women's clothes and that everyone was looking at me, but once I started feeling confident that soon passed - I now go out proud of what I am wearing!
Welcome to the board, TopCat!

Can you describe a few of your outfits, or post a few photos?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum We are really nice people here we just wear skirts and such. I enjoy my skirts so much that, that is all I wear now. I think you will be happy that you found us and all of the support we can give.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

TopCat wrote:...I will admit that I felt self conscious on the first few occasions I went out dressed in women's clothes and that everyone was looking at me, but once I started feeling confident that soon passed - I now go out proud of what I am wearing! :D
It's that confidence that makes the difference. Congratulations for finding happiness in wearing what you want. You've got some real kindred spirits here in this café -- welcome!!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

TopCat wrote: and which I actually enjoy wearing
What a concept! :!:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome TopCat, You'll find this one of the most interesting sites and full of great people. Just after I left Uni in 1989 I worked for Vickers Shipbuilding in Barrow-in-Furness who make all the nation's submarines. I was part of a team developing a shore-based trainer for the command and sonar relays. Another company was developing the scenario software and as Vickers had the hardware experience we were developing the software that resided between the scenario and the hardware. Anyway, the full title of the project was the Vanguard Submarine Command Team Trainer and I think the letters T and C stood out and brought memories of TC and the nickname for the project became Topcat. A rather tenuous link I know but then as a team we were rather close and as software developers we had very quirky sense of humours. We even had a cheap cardboard clock in the shape of Top at and Benny stood by a dustbin and that was our mascot. I was presented with it when I left and I still have it and it still works.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Thank's for the welcome everyone - it's good to be amongst friends!!

As for my outfits, tops and skirts - most of my skirts range from just above the knee to some full length knitted skirts. I also have a number of dresses, nothing 'mini' but otherwise a range of lengths.

I will try and get some photos organised over the next couple of weeks. :)
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Welcome to SkirtCafe and excellent to hear about your stance on freedom of expression.

Be yourself and do be proud.

Look forward to future posts. I too wear many aspects of womens clothing as a man but not footwear. As you say, why not, women have adopted male clothes and styles of mens clothing.

Freedom of expression applies to both genders provided no physical harm is done to others.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.