greetings all from northern Indiana

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

greetings all from northern Indiana

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Hello everyone, I joined the cafe a bunch of months ago, however this is my first post.
I don't skirt or kilt in public yet. But do enjoy knee and ankle length skirts.
I prefer A line skirts. And in denim, masculine skirts so to speak, I think it's time the ladies gotta give up something for us men to wear. Instead of hoging all the comfort without the middleman.

On another note .In march I bought my first kilt. Working up the nerve to wear that out.

Second other side note, have worn a poodle skirt on Halloween, dressed the whole nine yards, enough on that, that probably belongs on some other forum elsewhere.
I did enjoy the fun poodle skirt. Not the other stuff so much.

Happiest in denim A lines. Mishawakaskirt AFA. @2wayskirt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Re: greetings all from northern Indiana

Post by owen »

Welcome! :)

You sound like a typical SkirtCafé regular, so you'll be right at home here. My own tastes are just like yours. Comfortable and practical. Knee-length or longer. Denim does the job very nicely indeed.

Going public is a choice for us all, but those of us who do it generally find people either don't notice, don't say anything, or show their approval.

Looking forward to hearing more!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Welcome from northern Illinois, maybe a couple hundred miles straight west of you. I've worn skirts like you describe while traveling in Indiana. No negative reaction at stores, rest areas, or gas stations. But I usually prefer my skirts above the knee. I'm on my knees a lot, and knees are easier to clean than fabric.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

:welcome:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Jim wrote:Welcome from northern Illinois, maybe a couple hundred miles straight west of you. I've worn skirts like you describe while traveling in Indiana. No negative reaction at stores, rest areas, or gas stations. But I usually prefer my skirts above the knee. I'm on my knees a lot, and knees are easier to clean than fabric.

You mentioning driving in a skirt, I have done that also, for several 70 mile trips and a bunch trips around town even some short as two or three miles ( yea, I' ve got it bad)
sometimes I feel like Clark Kent, however we can all be glad we don't need a phone booth to change in. I did see a pay phone, the only one I think I have seen in ten years, last year at White water state park, down east of INDY. Didn't check to see if it worked, wow, blast from the past. :P

MishawakaSkirt. @2wayskirt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Hi and welcome. Going out in a kilt is a lot easier than a skirt for your 1st outing, people seem more tolerant of a kilt than a guy in a skirt. I wear long pants all week long, but come the weekend, It's one of my many kilts. I think people in my town have got used to me, sometimes I hear giggles behind me but mostly if I do get comments they are very approving and one lady said it's very manly of you to wear a kilt. As I have seen many times on various sites "IT TAKES A MAN TO WEAR A KILT" I say go for it :D
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Welcome! :)
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Hey Mishawaka, I used to work with a woman here in SF who hales from Mishawaka. 8)
I had to look it up on a map to figure out where it was.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Mishawakaskirt and :welcome:
About 50 years ago(seems like yesterday ;) ) I used to live
about 50 miles east of you, up on Stone Lake, north of Middlebury.

I started wearing kilts, as I have 5 of them, and have transitioned to skirts.
I'll wear either on any given day. Now with the summer Texas heat, I wear
skirts 99.99% of the time.

Everyone here has gone through what you're feeling and going through.
Take that first step - wear a kilt/skirt to Walmart. You'll find no one will
bat an eye at you. I've had several young people comment "Nice Kilt", etc.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Welcome to the forums! I'll just echo what the others have said about going out in public for the first time. When you do, you'll realize quickly that it really is a non-issue.

One thing that used to help me was when I first started out, I'd go into a store, and I'd find something near my destination to focus on, and I would just stare at that as I walked across the sales floor. It helped me to have something to focus on so I wouldn't notice the people staring at me.

Later, I realized that while I did get some double takes (you will too), they never bothered me either way.

Phase two was when I started forcing myself to smile and nod a "how are ya" to anyone who passed my way.

Phase three was when I realized I was no longer forcing myself to smile I was doing it without realizing it..... once you hit this phase.. you've come home and life will never be the same again. :D

Before you know it, you'll be reacting to people in the same way you would if you were wearing trousers... but the key is you must push yourself to make that next step.

Helpful Tip: Lots of male skirt wearers like to break the public ice at gas stations. Personally I've noticed the wind seems to pick up at fuel islands for some reason. If you wear really light weight skirts, be advised wind loves to float them.

Finally, what ever happens, just have fun with it. Women have wardrobe malfunctions too, it's not a sin. Why just yesterday I was downtown talking to two women in one of my skirts and the wind got up. I struggled to hold it down. One woman said "I like your skirt!" I laughed and said "thanks, I'd like it too if it would stay down!", and we both shared a laugh. :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

moonshadow wrote:... Why just yesterday I was downtown talking to two women in one of my skirts
How did they both manage to get into your skirt at the same time?
:lol:
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:Welcome to the forums! I'll just echo what the others have said about going out in public for the first time. When you do, you'll realize quickly that it really is a non-issue.

One thing that used to help me was when I first started out, I'd go into a store, and I'd find something near my destination to focus on, and I would just stare at that as I walked across the sales floor. It helped me to have something to focus on so I wouldn't notice the people staring at me.

Later, I realized that while I did get some double takes (you will too), they never bothered me either way.

Phase two was when I started forcing myself to smile and nod a "how are ya" to anyone who passed my way.

Phase three was when I realized I was no longer forcing myself to smile I was doing it without realizing it..... once you hit this phase.. you've come home and life will never be the same again. :D

Before you know it, you'll be reacting to people in the same way you would if you were wearing trousers... but the key is you must push yourself to make that next step.

Helpful Tip: Lots of male skirt wearers like to break the public ice at gas stations. Personally I've noticed the wind seems to pick up at fuel islands for some reason. If you wear really light weight skirts, be advised wind loves to float them.

Finally, what ever happens, just have fun with it. Women have wardrobe malfunctions too, it's not a sin. Why just yesterday I was downtown talking to two women in one of my skirts and the wind got up. I struggled to hold it down. One woman said "I like your skirt!" I laughed and said "thanks, I'd like it too if it would stay down!", and we both shared a laugh. :lol:

:cheers:
Last edited by Elisabetta on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Welcome to the forums. I'm Moonshadows better half .
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stevie D wrote:
moonshadow wrote:... Why just yesterday I was downtown talking to two women in one of my skirts
How did they both manage to get into your skirt at the same time?
:lol:
two words.... A line! (is A a word in this context? :wink: ) :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:
Stevie D wrote:
How did they both manage to get into your skirt at the same time? :lol:
two words.... A line! (is A a word in this context? :wink: ) :lol:
That's most definitely a "big tent" approach. :shock:

And how long were they under there? :twisted:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!