Story about a boy who was disciplined for wearing a dress

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Story about a boy who was disciplined for wearing a dress

Post by Jim2 »

See http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/02/19/sc ... 831a3128d2

This is a story about a 13 year old boy in California who tried to wear an Elsa costume on a day "where pupils were encouraged to wear Disney costumes". He was ordered to remove the costume because "the principal does not believe that boys should be dressed like girls". I like the fact that this is not a story about a transgender kid, and that his parents are defending his choice "as a 'rights' issue".
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Story about a boy who was disciplined for wearing a dres

Post by partlyscot »

Prediction. Large percentage of the kids come to school on Monday crossdressed.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

partlyscot wrote:Prediction. Large percentage of the kids come to school on Monday crossdressed.
Think it already happened. Heard a blurb (negative, of course) about it on the radio last week.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

partlyscot wrote:Prediction. Large percentage of the kids come to school on Monday crossdressed.
I'd be willing to wager that 90%+ of the girls will be in trousers... :roll:

It's rather astonishing that these sorts of shenanigans still go on in the second decade of the 21st century. The head jailer Principal should get a talking-to -- publicly -- about his handling of the matter. It was a "dress up" day, for crying out loud. One expects things like this to happen. (Or at least should expect them to.)

Part of me is wondering if it happened this way precisely because the kid identifies as straight. There's also the matter of the school furthering Disney's business interests.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Anything different with a Halloween party for comparison ?

And then again this was California and not some southern redneck state where you sort-a kind-a expect that to take place.

On another note I fault the school and its officials for not laying down the parameters for what could or could not be worn !

I give the kid credit in that he took time to put together an acceptable outfit that did not dwell on sexual revealing aspects.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I hope either the family or the ACLU sues. These hicks will never learn unless it costs them money or image.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:I hope either the family or the ACLU sues. These hicks will never learn unless it costs them money or image.
Indeed.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

r.m.anderson wrote:Anything different with a Halloween party for comparison ?

And then again this was California and not some southern redneck state where you sort-a kind-a expect that to take place.

On another note I fault the school and its officials for not laying down the parameters for what could or could not be worn !

I give the kid credit in that he took time to put together an acceptable outfit that did not dwell on sexual revealing aspects.
The locale is identified as Menifee which is deep in the heart of darkest Riverside County. Southeast of LA and near Hemet and Temecula, about as redneck as you could get in CA.
Like Carl, I'm almost as much concerned with school administration shilling for Disney.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:I hope either the family or the ACLU sues. These hicks will never learn unless it costs them money or image.
That's unlikely. The ACLU won't care because the kid is "normal", and "normal" is boring and doesn't further the ACLU's agenda. We also don't know much about the family, but in order to bring a (successful) suit against a municipality one needs plenty of financial clout which the family likely does not have.

I know that part of the function of the public school system is to kick the originality and creativity out of kids so they'll be complacent and docile members of "adult society", but still. I really dislike officious little tin gods.

I think one answer to this is "image" as Dillon asserts -- and I'd use humour to hold the school administration to ridicule. The pen may be mightier than the sword, but a good hard laugh trumps most things save very heavy weaponry.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

I always thought that Teachers were ment to encourage tolerance towards others. What this idiot has done has made his intolerance to others clear. The whole lot, principal, school board and their hangers on should be sacked. How would he deal with a student who identified as a girl but was biologically male, the kid would already have enough to worry about.

I expect this principal would tell the world of his inclusive views but act in the opposite way. Being a Red neck is not an excuse it shows a real lack of common sense.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

This is just another example of "ZERO TOLERANCE". A practice that should be removed from our schools and every where else. Only the good get hurt by it. I think the entire school administration should be publicly castrated by the citizens.

Frred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That's harsh. I think castigation, rather than castration, would be enough.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Franinskirts wrote: ... should be publicly castrated by the citizens...
Ouch! :shock:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I stand by my remarks. For these kind of people we need to remove the ability to bred.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

What I don't understand is why would the school system sanction a "fancy dress day", which in and of itself could be considered a academic distraction, and then proceed to discipline a child who wears a costume dress for creating a "distraction"? :?

Seems to be the simplest course of action would have been not to have a fancy dress day to begin with.

The real question is what would be the reaction of the school if the boy showed up in just your regular everyday skirt or dress on any given normal day?

If the school takes no issue with it, that's cool.

If they don't allow it... well assuming castration doesn't go over too well, I'd settle for a good old fashioned resignation. Oh, and if I were the boy, I'd show up for school every day skirted now. :twisted:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.