Women not in skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Women not in skirts

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:We don't need to prejudge why women wear miniskirts. Do we think we have purer (less sexual) motives than them? Live and let live...
Touche. :lol:

Of course women have precisely the same sexual motives as men. Have you ever been present amid some really juicy "girl talk"? That sort of stuff burns my ears -- and I thought I was a dirty old man.

That said, some forms of attire really amount to little more than tools -- tools that are usually frequently discarded once the quarry has been subdued.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

At my sons' school, the girls are allowed to wear skirts or trousers. They almost all wear skirts - generally a mini with opaque tights. But out of school they revert to trousers. Jeans are not allowed at school, which may be something to do with their choices.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:
dillon wrote:We don't need to prejudge why women wear miniskirts. Do we think we have purer (less sexual) motives than them? Live and let live...
Touche. :lol:

Of course women have precisely the same sexual motives as men. Have you ever been present amid some really juicy "girl talk"? That sort of stuff burns my ears -- and I thought I was a dirty old man.

That said, some forms of attire really amount to little more than tools -- tools that are usually frequently discarded once the quarry has been subdued.
Just saying, after all the many discussions of others making negative presumptions about why we wear skirts, should we not maybe try to rise above that? Judge not that ye be not judged.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:Just saying, after all the many discussions of others making negative presumptions about why we wear skirts, should we not maybe try to rise above that? Judge not that ye be not judged.
You have a point there. Taken.
danielobvt

Post by danielobvt »

Caultron wrote:I see women wearing skirts more often in dressier situation rather than casual. But I'm sure skirts will come around again in the fashion cycle.
That may explain why here in Washington DC there are more women wearing skirts/dresses. Beyond the fact that I see a lot more of what people are wearing because I use mass transit, it also comes down to the fact that DC is, at least from a clothing perspective, a conservative town that skews to more traditional western dress codes. Even in the icy weather (freezing or below) 1/3 of the women I saw today had dresses/skirts. Come summer? Almost 2/3 (who can blame them with the oppressive humidity we have here) or more.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

I live in south Alabama. I see a lot of women wearing skirts and dresses. the climate is generally mild to sweltering year round. of course I see them wear pants and shorts more though. I don't see many skirts for sale though. not sure if it's because of the season. but spring is about here and I'll pay more attention.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

danielobvt wrote:That may explain why here in Washington DC there are more women wearing skirts/dresses.
This is one thing that I really miss about working in the big city; things are generally on a slightly more formal/elegant level than out in the 'burbs. There's much more "eye-candy" in the city, whereas out in the hinterlands it's nothing but the dull drone of mediocrity and denim.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
danielobvt wrote:That may explain why here in Washington DC there are more women wearing skirts/dresses.
This is one thing that I really miss about working in the big city; things are generally on a slightly more formal/elegant level than out in the 'burbs. There's much more "eye-candy" in the city, whereas out in the hinterlands it's nothing but the dull drone of mediocrity and denim.
Around here, there isn't a "big" city for hundreds of miles, closest one being Knoxville TN, Asheville NC, and Roanoke VA, however the latter two, having populations of still under 100k may not qualify as "big" cities all the same. But anyway, around here in Appalachia, aka "God's coal country" the predominant religion seems to be southern baptist and Pentecostal, and with that comes LOTS of women who exclusively wear skirts every day, year round. The deeper you get into the mountains, the more skirts you see. Likewise, the more coal coveralls, and bibbed overalls you see on the guys. And to date.... one man who wears a skirt (me).

The skirts range from hideous potato sacks to some pretty interesting styles. What you DON'T see very often is mini's. Every now and then you may see one on a really young 20-something woman. Never on young children, and never on older ladies. What's interesting is women in mini's around here and get just as many snares and dirty looks as I do when I wear a skirt. Only difference is they get their dirty looks from the older women, whereas I get mine from older men.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Around here, there isn't a "big" city for hundreds of miles, closest one being Knoxville TN, Asheville NC, and Roanoke VA, however the latter two, having populations of still under 100k may not qualify as "big" cities all the same. But anyway, around here in Appalachia, aka "God's coal country" the predominant religion seems to be southern baptist and Pentecostal, and with that comes LOTS of women who exclusively wear skirts every day, year round. The deeper you get into the mountains, the more skirts you see. Likewise, the more coal coveralls, and bibbed overalls you see on the guys. And to date.... one man who wears a skirt (me).

The skirts range from hideous potato sacks to some pretty interesting styles. What you DON'T see very often is mini's. Every now and then you may see one on a really young 20-something woman. Never on young children, and never on older ladies. What's interesting is women in mini's around here and get just as many snares and dirty looks as I do when I wear a skirt. Only difference is they get their dirty looks from the older women, whereas I get mine from older men.
Interesting the difference that religion and climate makes. My nearest shopping centre is a mining town (silver, lead & zinc) 200kms (120 miles) away with a population about 16,000. The majority of women and girls wear jeans or shorts but a lot still wear short skirts, may be because of the warm weather.
I now do all my business over there in a mini skirt with very little reaction.
I noticed that the young waitress in the cafe was also wearing a denim mini skirt but it was a bit longer than what I was wearing, which means I was probably pushing the envelope in length as well as just wearing a skirt. I do think that one gets away with such a thing when it is over 40C.
It is not a very religious area as it was the place that many initiatives of union activity were born, such as the 8 hour day, and was generally very left wing, which it still is because as the mining declined a big art movement grew.
In fact it was where "Pricilla queen of the desert" was filmed and there is now a regular event called the "Broken Heel Festival", which doesn't help men wearing skirts but does assist in people getting used to "different".
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote:Interesting the difference that religion and climate makes. My nearest shopping centre is a mining town (silver, lead & zinc) 200kms (120 miles) away with a population about 16,000. The majority of women and girls wear jeans or shorts but a lot still wear short skirts, may be because of the warm weather.
I now do all my business over there in a mini skirt with very little reaction.
I noticed that the young waitress in the cafe was also wearing a denim mini skirt but it was a bit longer than what I was wearing, which means I was probably pushing the envelope in length as well as just wearing a skirt. I do think that one gets away with such a thing when it is over 40C.
It is not a very religious area as it was the place that many initiatives of union activity were born, such as the 8 hour day, and was generally very left wing, which it still is because as the mining declined a big art movement grew.
In fact it was where "Pricilla queen of the desert" was filmed and there is now a regular event called the "Broken Heel Festival", which doesn't help men wearing skirts but does assist in people getting used to "different".
Think I may have watched about the last two thirds of that film on cable several years ago. Will have to get the whole thing now and watch from the beginning. If it's the same film I'm thinking about, I can say that I really enjoyed it. And it was watched many years before I ever gave a single though to wearing a skirt myself.

Different is good. To hell with "standards"! (and matching colors) HA! Be free! :flower:

Still, you'd think with all these skirt wearing women around here, you'd find some in the local big box stores. But no. The biggest selections remain in the thrift stores. Even women's stores sell mostly women's pants. I just don't understand it, I guess it's like so many other freedoms.... when you've had them for so long you tend to take them for granted. I sure would love to be able to "let my inner self" shine like so many women do, and not be mocked or laughed at for it. Maybe someday. I shall continue to shine on, perhaps someday the world will catch up.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I was doing some repairs at the front driveway gate and a lady I know walked past, in jeans as usual (I have never seen her in a skirt).
I was in a skirt (of course) and she came over for a chat. She would have seen me in a skirt many times but on leaving she turned and said "is that a skirt you are wearing?". I said my usual "yes" but out of courtesy I continued "they are great in hot weather". She said "Good on you!" and proceeded to tell me that because of the heat she wore a pencil skirt last time they went away to do shopping and that she fell over in the street trying to step over the curb crossing the road; "my skirt didn't let me put my leg out far enough". I said "that is one of the reasons I like short skirts", like an real experienced skirt wearer.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:She said "Good on you!" and proceeded to tell me that because of the heat she wore a pencil skirt last time they went away to do shopping and that she fell over in the street trying to step over the curb crossing the road; "my skirt didn't let me put my leg out far enough". I said "that is one of the reasons I like short skirts", like an real experienced skirt wearer.
That's great news on the "Good on you!" remark, but it also points up that pencil skirts, while looking fine in an office setting and whilst one does not have to move about freely, fall over rather badly when movement is required. (Yes, that pun was entirely intentional.) This is where A-line skirts excel. I can do almost anything I tend to do -- including running [0] short distances -- in any skirt I buy, and that includes my very long ones. Anything so inhibiting I could not function in it would be straight out.

[0] I run very infrequently, and even then it's more of a trot or a canter instead of a full-blown sprint.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

If a pencil skirt is of a reasonably stretchy fabric and falls at or above the knee there really aren't problems with mobility. If it falls below the knee, it is, in effect, a hobble skirt. At least I've never encountered any problems, and the two or three I own are used often for evenings out. I'd wager half the issues with women's mobility are due to shoes more than skirts. I like pencil skirts getting in and out of cars because they enforce proper discretion in that movement.

It's true, though, that pencil skirts are not for running, but neither are maxi skirts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

That's one of the biggest reasons I don't like pencil skirts, or skirts with a really small diameter hem. Pencil skirts seem to be in vogue now with the ladies, and every time I see one walking I think of penguins waddling. Either that, or it's like they are trying to walk in a potato sack race. Personally I think it looks ridiculous. Especially those slim little cotton pencil skirts that drag the ground, to the point where the woman is constantly stepping on the hem. These are very popular in Lebanon VA for some reason. Saw one worker at one of our stores sporting such a skirt that drug the floor at least by 3 or 4 inches. I could see she was having constant trouble trying to negotiate the garment.

I know in society, everyone is afraid to tell a woman "you can't do that", but for safety reasons alone, is she's going to wear a skirt, it needs to at least not drag the floor. Several times she about tripped, and working around these hot fryers, ovens, and such, it's an accident waiting to happen. Not to mention it just looked dirty and sloppy with all the dirt and shoe marks along the bottom hem.

I know why they wear them, because it accentuates their hips, which many view wide hips on a woman as attractive. Still, I don't care for the look on women. But I guess it's not so much the "look", as it is the look in "motion". (walking)

I like skirts you could do a split in.
-Andrea
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Those would be hobble skirts, if they come to the calves or ankles, not so much pencil skirts. Hobble skirts would/should be for formal or special occasions, not for daily fashion. That is just gauche. If you haven't worn a stretch pencil skirt, you might want to before you judge them.