Pleated Skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Pleated Skirts

Post by Gordon »

I now am the proud owner of not one but two pleated skirts. One is knee length that I found on sale at a local store, and the other is ankle length that I found on ebay. They are pleated like this picture. I have always liked these types of skirts whenever I saw one. So I am happy I have two now. I'm going out to run some errands and get my bi-weekly manicure today wearing the shorter one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pleated Skirts

Post by Gregg1100 »

I have a few of these. Sun ray pleated skirts. Really nice. I like the blue colour.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've got a couple of long black ones... they are a lot of fun. Very swishy.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Very nice skirt, and I like the top too. I'd like to get a "kilted skirt" i.e. a pleated tartan skirt… would prefer that to a real kilt.

(Why not post this thread on Skirts and Kilts for Men?)
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

My very long formal skirt has pleats like that, but unlike that midi, mine goes all the way to the deck.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I love that pleated look - just don't have the courage to buy and wear one out yet. I do have a couple of long lightweight silk broomstick skirts that I've worn out once or twice. They're a handful in the wind though.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

There is just something about KNIFE pleated skirts be they of a solid color or a tartan pattern !
The multiple knife pleats on a kilt have the swish factor and back field in motion action.
The same can be noted with this navy blue example.
One of my first skirts was of this design - elastic waist and about 22 inches hem length just above the knee.
Sadly the rubberized elastic was not the modern space age material and the cost to redo the waist was prohibited
at the time - the skirt was retired to the goodwill (don't go looking for it this was years ago).
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've never owned a pleated skirt, mainly because they don't appeal to me, my personal preference being long length A-lines and pencil skirts.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

JeffB1959 wrote:I've never owned a pleated skirt, mainly because they don't appeal to me, my personal preference being long length A-lines and pencil skirts.
Me too, though it is a cute style, its not me. Plus, I'm thinking pleats are a lot of maintenance and ironing unless you dry clean the garment.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

dillon wrote: Me too, though it is a cute style, its not me. Plus, I'm thinking pleats are a lot of maintenance and ironing unless you dry clean the garment.
No maintenance. These are wash and wear, no ironing involved. The pleats are set in before the skirt is even sewed together. If you're interested in learning more this web site has a ton of info including downloadable "books" about pleating.
http://www.internationalpleating.com/

And here is a video of a machine that does sunray pleating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exR_ENtNITc
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Paul

Post by Paul »

I absolutely love pleated skirts, they are my absolute favourite skirt to wear, I’m wearing one of my latest purchases as I write this comment, it’s a tartan mini skirt from Next Retail here in the UK. I’ve even ventured out a few times to the supermarket Lidl and Asda wearing it and didn’t get any negative comments 😍
Always happy when wearing a skirt.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hey Paul,
I'm with you there; most of the time I find the pleated skirts offer so much ease of movement unless with a slip/liner that is less forgiving. I just added another, a toe topper in black -- almost formal in a gentle 'A'. Sometimes I find I venture out a bit 'unfashionably' dressed just because I'm anxious to wear the new skirt -- and still, no real push-back, except from friends familiar with my predilections! :D Even my conservative brother gave a thumbs up on a pleated one in fall colors recently --- get out there and go for what feels good! This black one may cost me more for a 'justification' dinner out than the skirt!
Paul

Post by Paul »

I too would love to have a few long pleated skirts in my collection, but I’ve no room to store them in my small hiding place. MOH only tolerates my dressing if I do it in private, the proverbial **** would hit the fan if she found out I’ve been out shopping in public wearing a skirt and tights. 😡
My next problem is she intends to take retirement next month, so my dressing will be curtailed by at least 95% 😡 . I don’t know how I will cope.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

If it's any consolation my wife is not happy about me wearing skirts. She tolerates them indoors but will not go out with me while I am wearing a skirt. She knows that I have been out skirted but appears to ignore the fact. She has never been angry for me doing so. It does appear that I have a lot more freedom than you do. The only advice I can offer is to take baby steps in pushing boundaries. How you get her to start to tolerate your indoor skirt wearing I don't know but if you could do that it would ease the pressure in you enormously.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Paul

Post by Paul »

She can be a bit strange on the subject. She’s known about me skirting since before we got married, I was up front about it to be fair and honest.
However she’s never allowed me to wear a skirt in front of her.. ever. But about ten years ago she introduced me to the world of sarongs while on holiday, I was blown away, since then I have bought going on 50 of them, mostly with encouragement from her 😘
I have adapted them all to be a wrap skirt with ties, and so every holiday often 3 times a year abroad she accepted me wearing them around the hotels and going out for walks, I love them. Because of lockdowns we haven’t been on holidays for two years, so I’ve got away with wearing my sarongs in my garden during the spring and summer.
Then a few years ago I persuaded her to let me buy a full kilt outfit to wear on Burns night at a restaurant, and then on New Years Eve Hogmanay. But that’s it, she won’t let me wear the kilt at any other times.
As for skirts she doesn’t know I have built up a small collection over the years hidden away ( at least not as I know of), so the chances of her EVER letting me go out in public wearing a skirt is zero. The fact that I am doing behind her back is a massive gamble, but I can’t help it. And so that’s my life, and now she’s planning on retiring next month, so my opportunities to dress from then are 98% reduced.😡
When I have brought up the subject it just creates a massive argument.