Saw a what I thought was a cool "skirt" today

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Saw a what I thought was a cool "skirt" today

Post by moonshadow »

Not sure if you'd call this a skirt, or a dress, but while working tonight at our store at Claypool Hill I saw an older customer (woman) wearing what I would best describe as an "overall's skirt". It had the top of a pair of bibbed overalls, but the bottom of a skirt.

The skirt went down to the calf, and has a slit in the back telling me it was a narrow cut. It was also off white.

I thought it was cool, but I'd like one a little wider at the bottom (more A line), and a darker (blue) denim fabric.

Pretty neat, never seen anything like it before.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Saw a what I thought was a cool "skirt" today

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote:Pretty neat, never seen anything like it before.
Sounds kind of like the jumper dress that was discussed and pictured on another thread recently. Don't ask me where, I have a hard enough time remembering my name any more. :roll:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Try this link http://www.biboveralls-online.com/uskee ... kwash.html

Hope this helps :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Pretty cool to have that Osh Kosh, B'gosh! label on the dress.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Bullseye!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Those what we in Holland call "salopettes" were very popular is the sixties. I remember trying to buy one but they always were much too small.
There was a guy working at the fishmongers stall in front of The Hague station who wore one as a kind of working apron but it definitely was a skirt.
He wore Mary Janes under it. That was the first time I saw a guy in an skirt. A very refreshing sight indeed...
BTW what is a size 26? If I try to buy this Oshkosh skirt I get no response. Perhaps they don't ship to Europe........
Jan.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

janrok wrote:BTW what is a size 26?
Thats 26 inches. Or about 66 cm for you folks east of the Atlantic.

The one in the top photo comes in a variety of sizes however. I notice it has size 12, which fits me, and I run about a 34-36 inch waist. At least that seems to be the going standard among ordinary skirts. And again, if it's elastic, I'll go to 10, but I like a snug fit on the waist line. Since this most likely isn't stretchy, as for me, I'd definitely go with the 12. Although I do like a size chart that has actual inch measurements to make sure I get the right fit.... what with vanity sizing at all. Would be worth an email to the seller to be sure.
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:Not sure if you'd call this a skirt, or a dress, but while working tonight at our store at Claypool Hill I saw an older customer (woman) wearing what I would best describe as an "overall's skirt". It had the top of a pair of bibbed overalls, but the bottom of a skirt.

The skirt went down to the calf, and has a slit in the back telling me it was a narrow cut. It was also off white.

I thought it was cool, but I'd like one a little wider at the bottom (more A line), and a darker (blue) denim fabric.

Pretty neat, never seen anything like it before.

I hope you get one that would be awesome! Does it carry my size too? Maybe we both can get one :lol:
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

I frequently wear bib-overalls and it would seem that it would be pretty easy to turn them into a skirted bottom instead of 2 legs. It would likely require a bit of extra fabric to do it... My inclination would be to cut them apart at the waist, then use the fabric in the legs to do something along the lines of a denim kilt, then reattach that to the upper portion -- Yes, I know if I do it that way and make pleats, it would require a lot of extra fabric. However, pretty sure it would rock!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:
janrok wrote:BTW what is a size 26?
Thats 26 inches. Or about 66 cm for you folks east of the Atlantic.

The one in the top photo comes in a variety of sizes however. I notice it has size 12, which fits me, and I run about a 34-36 inch waist. At least that seems to be the going standard among ordinary skirts. And again, if it's elastic, I'll go to 10, but I like a snug fit on the waist line. Since this most likely isn't stretchy, as for me, I'd definitely go with the 12. Although I do like a size chart that has actual inch measurements to make sure I get the right fit.... what with vanity sizing at all. Would be worth an email to the seller to be sure.
If it's a woman's size 26, thats way bigger than 26 inches...more like 46. That's at the upper limit of Plus Size.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote: If it's a woman's size 26, thats way bigger than 26 inches...more like 46. That's at the upper limit of Plus Size.
Size just says 26, but in the description, it list a waist of 26" (inches). So I assumed that to be what the seller meant.
-Andrea
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

The StyleJ cargo skirt I recently bought was a 34 inch which is exactly my waist size. It turned out to be about an inch too large however so I put in a filling band on the inner side of the waist band using textile adhesive and that did the trick; it now fits perfectly. The pic shows how to reduce the waist size:
IMG001.JPG

A distinctive advantage of "salopettes" is that size may vary a few inches as three buttons on each side can be left open or closed. In other words size in these particular garments is non-critical.

Jan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JRMILLER wrote:I frequently wear bib-overalls and it would seem that it would be pretty easy to turn them into a skirted bottom instead of 2 legs. It would likely require a bit of extra fabric to do it... My inclination would be to cut them apart at the waist, then use the fabric in the legs to do something along the lines of a denim kilt, then reattach that to the upper portion -- Yes, I know if I do it that way and make pleats, it would require a lot of extra fabric. However, pretty sure it would rock!
I do rather like this idea.... but as for me personally, I'd need a good cheap thrift store pair of bibs, just in case I screw it up I don't want a lot invested in it. Another option I thought about, if you had an old pair with the bottom all worn out... holes in the knees, pockets, pant hems all frayed, stained etc... you could find a skirt made of similar denim, cut off the legs, and just sew the skirt onto the top portion.
-Andrea
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I made a skirt from an old pair of jeans using that splice technique. There are several instructional websites you can Google. It's not complicated, though my sewing skills are pretty marginal.