Where will we be in say... ten years?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where will we be in say... ten years?

Post by hairy »

Couya wrote:Since even the people frequenting this forum seem to equate non-typical clothing with non-typical sexuality (or gender or something), I can't see the general public changing their way of thinking any time soon.
How many of you can seriously claim to wear a skirt for comfort, fashion, elegance, without thinking about their sexuality while doing so? If we can't just put on a skirt like we'd put on a shirt, who can?

Martin
Wearing a skirt gives me a feeling of freedom a bit like riding my motorbike does. I hate wearing shorts because I feel all tangled up with the things and long skirts make me feel much the same. I just don't think anything about my sexuality, its all about freedom and freedom of choice, and maybe leading the way for others to be free to wear what they want to.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Couya wrote:..How many of you can seriously claim to wear a skirt for comfort, fashion, elegance, without thinking about their sexuality while doing so? If we can't just put on a skirt like we'd put on a shirt, who can?
Well, there's me...

But I do get asked about this, either directly or indirectly. It's like, "Why do you want to look like a woman?" to which I answer, "I don't. I just like skirts. They're comfortable. You should try one."
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

Couya wrote:Since even the people frequenting this forum seem to equate non-typical clothing with non-typical sexuality (or gender or something), I can't see the general public changing their way of thinking any time soon.
How many of you can seriously claim to wear a skirt for comfort, fashion, elegance, without thinking about their sexuality while doing so? If we can't just put on a skirt like we'd put on a shirt, who can?

Martin
I only wear a skirt for comfort and I do not think about my sexuality at all when wearing one. I do think about what others will think, but it is more along the lines of thinking whether they'll think I'm a nut than what they'll think of my gender or sexuality.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

On the original question, who can say?
The men in skirts movement is likely to move onwards as long as designers continue to do their "thing".
This may, eventually filter into the high street, who knows?
On the subject of sexuality etc, that is a whole new question. Yes, my orientation has been queried, internally and externally. For the record, I became comfortable with my own self a long time ago, end that line.
External questions get dealt with accordingly. The reply will always depend on how I perceive the "tone".
My motivation is simple, and it has nothing to do with plain comfort, it is simply, my choice. It's almost as simple as my choice of shirt on most days.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote:On the original question, who can say?
The men in skirts movement is likely to move onwards as long as designers continue to do their "thing".
This may, eventually filter into the high street, who knows?
On the subject of sexuality etc, that is a whole new question. Yes, my orientation has been queried, internally and externally. For the record, I became comfortable with my own self a long time ago, end that line.
External questions get dealt with accordingly. The reply will always depend on how I perceive the "tone".
My motivation is simple, and it has nothing to do with plain comfort, it is simply, my choice. It's almost as simple as my choice of shirt on most days.
Steve.
This reply seems to go along with my thoughts on going out skirted. Comfort, while a large reason for why I like to wear the skirt on weekends, is not the only reason, the other big reason is because frankly I like the way it looks on me, I find it very agreeable. Even there are a few out there that don't agree. In fact, I may be the only one who thinks it looks "good", but that's okay. My opinion is what matters most to me. This is why I have no interest in shorter skirts or kilts, because in my opinion, I don't think they'd suit my style. The longer maxi skirts do.

As far as sexual orientation, that's a mixed bag. Around here, I'm not really sure what the "haters" are thinking. These are my assumptions. NOTE: These are just guesses on what others are thinking, obviously there is no way I can know for sure, and I may indeed have it all wrong.

The haters

1) Young men and women (teenager to high 20's): Mostly giggle and point amongst their selves, what you might expect from typical kids hanging in a group of other typical kids. Also, it should be noted that this is the demographic that normally doesn't say anything at all and ignores it all together.

2) Adult (30-50): The yuppie and trendy types don't say anything, the rednecks normally give a stare as though they'd like a chance to lynch me. Personally, I think this is the demographic that has a homophobe issue and thinks I'm gay, or that I'm degrading what it means to be a "man" by wearing "womens clothes". The women in this age group that have a problem with it are women who are out in skirts as well. Almost as though they resent the fact I'm moving in on "their thing".

3) Retirement age (51 and up): I get more dirty looks from this age group that the other two combined, however they are more of a head shaking, ashamed look, not really a look of violence. Older people around here tend to be very religious, and very well versed in the bible. I feel their biggest objection is a religious one. Most likely due to the passage in Deuteronomy regarding cross gender apparel. As much as they probably can't stand the fact that I wear a skirt in public, I do believe that this is the safest demographic of all, as they will most likely leave me alone, because after all, I don't think Jesus would advocate violence.

But I'd like to reiterate, that dirty looks and snares seem to be on a range of about one out of a hundred people. More people are respectful and even will nod their head, or utter a "how are ya"... as they walk by. Nobody has called me ma'am yet.

And I do think that more men will try this once they see others doing it. I think if there can be one public skirt wearer per 100 mile radius, it would probably catch on pretty quick.

I've got SW Virginia and NE Tennessee covered! I even dip into NW North Carolina from time to time, and here in a few weeks, I'm going to West Virginia. Spreading ideals of freedom to choose like a virus! LOL
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Martin, Comfort, style, the way the skirt looks and moves ( particularly the looser more free-flowing ones ) when I walk and I think that they look good. So far the only one that has questioned any sexual motive I may have is the one that should know better. If you'll pardon the expression in this context she once asked in one of our frank "discussions", "Do you get a h*rd-*n when you wear a skirt?" My answer was I never had and that my wearing a skirt had nothing at all to do with sex and I don't even associate them with sex or gender any more. When I'm out in a skirt I just think of it as just another garment and forget about any controversy it may cause. So Martin I think that you are barking up the wrong tree there.

As for where we will be skirt-wise in 10 years time? Difficult to speculate but I would like to think that skirts on men will be more common but they will have to be different from the women's version as pockets, belt lops and so on are more important to men than women. Unless men adopt bags as well.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Sinned wrote:...I don't even associate them with sex or gender any more.
? any more ?
So Martin I think that you are barking up the wrong tree there.
If none of our members associated clothes and sexuality, then why should sex/gender etc questions crop up so often here?

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Couya wrote:If none of our members associated clothes and sexuality, then why should sex/gender etc questions crop up so often here?
I suspect that in some cases, some members here do wear skirts at least partly for reasons of sexuality or gender fetish, but don't want to admit it, even to themselves.

But in other instances, the problem arides because other people associate skirt-wearing with sexuality or gender, or at least we're afraid they do.

But the answer is, "So what?

We wear what we want to wear, and whatever labels other people put on that shouldn't matter.
Last edited by Caultron on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Martin, my first forays into skirt wearing ( the past three years anyway ) had elements of bedroom naughtiness and hence the association with sex. At that time I also associated skirts with females as most of the western population do hence the gender association. As I became more comfortable with skirt wearing then I have ceased to think of them as associated with any gender - a skirt is just an article of clothing just as a t-shirt or a jumper is. Any article of clothing can be designed for the particular female or male form and a skirt is no different.

I think that Caultron has answered the reason why we have discussions on gender, sex, sexuality and so on.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

These are my thoughts on it, I've had a lot of travel time today at work so I've had a lot of time to consider this....

To me (as in, simply my opinion), skirts are less a matter of sex appeal (for women or men) and more a matter of elegance and gracefulness.

And not just any skirt is elegant or graceful. In my mind, only certain types will work. It's a matter of personal taste for me. When I think about trousers, it conjures up images of the material world, far removed from Nature, the iron capitalist, the warmonger, industry, steel mills, assembly lines, pollution, etc.

When I think of someone (man or woman) in a casual skirt, I envision someone who is carefree, simple, peaceful, in tune with Nature, open minded, and free flowing, etc.

Continuing, (and reiterating that this is a matter of personal opinion) I think skirts and dress like garments are more in tune with our creator (what ever you believe that creator may be) I personally feel more "human" when I wear one. I find them to be very warming for the soul, while trousers on the other hand, while they do have their place, don't really do much for my soul.

I like the shape of them, and to be clear, it's not just skirts or dresses, it's anything that takes a similar shape, houses with a large overhanging roof look appealing to me, cars with large fenders, Christmas trees, bells, etc. These things to me just look pleasing to the eye. And since I can HONESTLY say I'm not sexually attracted to Christmas trees or Victorian houses, then I hope I've made my point on why I think skirts look nice.

Likewise, in my opinion, some skirts just don't appeal to me, on either men or women. Really short skirts are not my thing. I personally don't think men have the body for them, and women look too.... well I don't want to seem insulting. I don't really care for pencil skirts either, they just don't have a pleasing shape in my eye. IMO the hem needs to be wider than the waist. If you have to cut a slit in it to squat down, then I don't think it looks good, on either gender. I'd only wear a skirt that can accommodate me with my legs spread out as far as they can go, which I'd say runs roughly about a 40-45 degree angle.

I just think they are beautiful garments, elegant, graceful, and classy.

A quick note: I understand some on here wear the type of skirts that I pointed out are "not my style", please remember it was just a matter of personal preference on my part. What others wear is their own business. And even a pencil skirt, or mini still looks better than drab pants any day of the week.
As a skirt wearing man, far be it for me to judge anyone for what THEY are wearing!

Edit: (see strike through above) I just now found the part on this forum where it has member photo's. I have to say, many of your short skirt styles don't look half bad. So I'd like to amend the comment above to state that I personally don't think I'd look good in a short skirt.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Sinned wrote:Martin, my first forays into skirt wearing ( the past three years anyway ) had elements of bedroom naughtiness and hence the association with sex.
I think, I probably used bedroom naughtiness to let my wife know that I liked wearing skirts. Wearing a skirt when it came right down to it didn't really do anything for me sexually. In fact I seem to think even less about sex when I'm skirted now, I'm just more contented to be relaxed. Perhaps its doing away with my sex drive which would come as releaf to my wife. I like the way I look in a skirt and don't feel I have to prove anything to anyone, I'm still me the same ageing biker, just more content when in a skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was watching an episode of Storage Hunters UK last night and the auctioneer Sean, the same one as in Storage Hunters, was wearing a kilt in honour of our cousins north of my border, and he made the comment "Freedom of the kilt. I could get used to this." I think that we know what he means! :D
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

moonshadow wrote:
hairy wrote:Men in skirts have been around for a while and I can't see any massive changes just yet. I do think perhaps things like the utility kilt might become a bit more popular, but in my view its a kilt and not really a skirt... Maybe one day things might change, but in the next ten years! I don't think so. Then again I can hope.
I do tend to agree with you on the matter of the kilt. While technically a “skirt”, in my opinion, wearing one does not really challenge the roles of clothing across genders, as the kilt has, to my understanding, always been a mens garment. That being said, I do believe the kilt certainly has a place in the men in skirts movement as it will no doubt help to desensitize the public to the sight of a man wearing something other than trousers.
Even though increased kilt wearing "does not really challenge the roles of clothing across genders" it does serve to evolve men's fashion choices in a very positive direction. A kilt is indeed a kind of skirt (a subset of all skirts); think of it as a "gateway" to a "real" skirt. More men in modern kilts will certainly help the movement toward other kinds of skirts.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote:
Caultron wrote:
It's interesting that even in science fiction books, movies, and television shows, men almost never wear skirts. Even alien men. I guess the writers and producers feel the general viewing audience wouldn't empathize with that.
Yeah, they say it didn't work out so good with StarTrek TNG.
I have been rewatching episodes of Andromeda-space opera set a few thousand years in the future.

Skirts appear hardly at all, on any gender.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:Yeah, they say it didn't work out so good with StarTrek TNG.
I have been rewatching episodes of Andromeda-space opera set a few thousand years in the future.

Skirts appear hardly at all, on any gender.[/quote]
I think the earthlings in sci-fi programs and movies have to be at least 99% 2017-ish, otherwise the audiences don't relate.

caultron