Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by skirtingtoday »

I too had on my denim miniskirt last Saturday 9same day sas you Stevie) - and registered zero looks.

This saturday (couple of days ago) I wore knee-length shorts ( :shock: ) - temperature was down to 9deg C (this is JUNE) - and got the same zero looks.

BTW, most days I visit our local supermarket for a morning paper wearing various skirts (black leather mini, denim mini, khaki cargo skirt etc) all with no visible sidelong glances. Other than a recent conversation with a young woman, (recounted elsewhere here), there is nothing to report - which is good!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

From one of a group of youngish people today, "You don't conform, love the skirt".
All I got off in reply was a big grin and a thank you.
Steve.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Great to hear acceptance from the younger set! :thumright:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

As others in the cafe have found, denim is invisible and I've just proved it to myself.

Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far, so for the very first time I walked into town wearing a denim miniskirt; well, it comes to just above my knees so it's not ever so mini. I crossed the market place, down the High street and into the library. Then retraced my steps to go home. I turned a corner and encountered 30-40 French schoolchildren which I had to get past. Should I turn around and go another way, or brazen it out? I brazened it out and walked past them. Not a single comment, giggle or laugh. I think they were too busy chattering to each other to notice. Actually, the whole trip was like that - there were one or two looks, but nothing negative or positive. Out of the 100+ women I encountered, only 14 were in skirts.

Later, Mrs C and I went to the seaside (Burnham on Sea). The denim mini was too warm and I'd changed into a sarong. We walked along the sea front. Again a few looks; I like to think the men were envious. Someone in passing asked "Is that a bloke?" Mrs C turned around and firmly told then "Yes, it is a bloke." I love my wife :)

Today, wore the skirt into town and for a visit to the tip (Household Waste Recycling Centre) - still no reaction.

I usually wear a denim Union kilt which is an inch longer than the mini. The other difference is that one is pleated, the other is plain. For me, those pleats made all the difference; they said "man's skirt" while the plain skirt said "woman's skirt". What nonsense!

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I think I would would notice a man wearing a skirt. I don't see women wearing a dress or skirt very often and I notice them every time. A man wearing a skirt or kilt would be something so out of the ordinary that it would make an impression.

I can say when I was on vacation and wearing a skirt I can only think of one case where a person actually reacted to my skirt. It was in a Subway sandwich shop and the guy behind the counter reacted like Oh that's a skirt not shorts hes wearing. Then he proceed to ask for my order with no other reaction.

The exception is when I'm some place where I would expect to see a man weaning a kilt or a woman in a dress.

:ugeek:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Some people do notice, but of those, only a few will care. And some who care will like it, or at least your courage to wear it. That leaves a small percentage of naysayers whose reaction is typically quite mild. And don't sweat that last tiny percent because no matter what you do, you can never make everybody happy.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Caultron wrote:And don't sweat that last tiny percent because no matter
what you do, you can never make everybody happy.
Just remember, "Keep Mama Happy, cause if Mama ain't happy,
ain't nobody happy. If Grandma ain't happy, RUN" :!:

:hmmm: ...... I'll go back and :hide: now :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

On the trip west, I was skirted, never touching trousers/shorts, for 12 days in a row, save for one late dinner in AZ when I wore "women's" black 'stretch-pants' (heavier fabrics than what I would deem as leggings). It may seem nothing to some of you, but that's the first stretch of that length I have spent skirted (almost) exclusively. I got to where I was not even conscious that I was skirted until I would notice someones stare or puzzled look. I had only one comment the entire time and it was ambiguous in tone. The only issue was remembering to keep my legs closed seated in public. I even began to get in and out of the car as a skirted person should, sitting and swinging in both legs, rather than my usual "male" habit of entering/exiting one leg at a time.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
danielobvt

Post by danielobvt »

I wore my 5.11 Multicam TDK yesterday (big travel day for Americans) at both a super crowded rest stop and country dairy. I just think most people don't notice (particularly men, since most of us have it drilled in not to really notice/care what other men are wearing) and if they did I was so focused on taking care of food and or my very fast 2yo daughter that I didn't notice (or at least I didn't hear any comments). Unless you count my wife, who couldn't seem to grasp I had plain run out of clean shorts on our trip (thanks to that daughter again) and "had" to wear my kilt. I did have to get used to the getting out of a car thing, though the long TDK is more forgiving in that factor.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:On the trip west, I was skirted, never touching trousers/shorts, for 12 days in a row, save for one late dinner in AZ when I wore "women's" black 'stretch-pants' (heavier fabrics than what I would deem as leggings). It may seem nothing to some of you, but that's the first stretch of that length I have spent skirted (almost) exclusively. I got to where I was not even conscious that I was skirted until I would notice someones stare or puzzled look. I had only one comment the entire time and it was ambiguous in tone. The only issue was remembering to keep my legs closed seated in public.
Congratulations, that sounds like real progress!
dillon wrote:I even began to get in and out of the car as a skirted person should, sitting and swinging in both legs, rather than my usual "male" habit of entering/exiting one leg at a time.
I think of it as getting in butt-first rather than foot first but yes, that's how to do it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

They do notice, and I notice there sideway looks. Its OK with me and I know it probably makes there day and gives them something to chat about when they get home.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

hairy wrote:They do notice, and I notice there sideway looks. Its OK with me and I know it probably makes there day and gives them something to chat about when they get home.
Beyond that, hairy, it plants the seeds of personal freedom in the minds of men who have the same desire as you, but lack the courage or ambition to act. They feel it vicariously through you, and just maybe they will grow the cojones to don a skirt and take that simple step out the door.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

People do notice. A man in a skirt of any type is not a readily standard event, so it's like anything different, people look. I do from time to time very briefly if something different catches my eye. I'm very conscious not to stare, very brief and inconspicuous. It is human nature.

The vast majority towards men in skirts are no different, certainly from my experience. I get compliments from time to time when I didn't when I was the typical grey male. Just as many impromptu conversations will start with third parties as when I am a typical grey male. For the minority that do make verbal negative comments or body language you will note from comments on my web site supporting men in skirts that such reactions are to be ignored and I arm myself with reasons why men can and supporting quotes from third parties to allow myself to briefly mutter under my breath but on the exterior let them know I simply do not care what they think. No doubt that's what others do if they see me looking at them!

I have followed a new blog writer by a man in a skirt and his recent blog is very fitting for this particular thread. https://skirtsareformen.wordpress.com/2 ... dging-you/

He has the same ethos on the subject as myself and many others on this forum.

It's like this article I came across in July 2013 http://www.matthewdicks.com/matthewdick ... thing.html I put a link to this article from a specific page on my site.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I just try not to notice the noticers and get on with it.
Steve.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

This article, https://skirtsareformen.wordpress.com/2 ... dging-you/
is extremely well written by a very articulate person.
(The writer could've been Carl's brother ;) )

I wish he, and his wife, well and continued success in
whatever they do - AND - promoting Men Wearing Skirts :!: :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)