Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Couya »

thank you all for the comments. I think Tom's was the most appropriate :
"The weathered tweed jacket marks you down..."

It does indeed look a bit more than weathered; should not put hands in pocket!
However, I have been wearing this pure wool Scottish tweed for some 30 years, so can't complain!
Sale price £10 and worth every penny.
The denim wrap is more recent, a long one cut down to knee length.

I do believe that, if we want to wear skirts outnabout, we should at least try to look smart.

Back in Spain again and enjoying the warmth (rained every day in Grenoble!)

Now looking forward to a skirt/kilted meet-up with a certain Danish photographer that you may know, who is on holiday nearby.
Martin
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well done, Martin. I bet your meeting will be with Gerd/Gregor, who is polyglot, by the posts he makes here and on Rockmode.de.

Have a good chin-wag.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

You guessed right, Tom. I hope his wife approves of unbifurcated men!

Martin
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Out in a faded purple light cotton skirt by Pr'ana. The wife and i took a stroll through the Brooklyn Arts District before going to see Almodovar's Wild Tales, a really amusing film well worth seeing. The weather was quite warm and humid, well into the upper 80s F. There was a nice breeze, though, and it felt great to have on a skirt of light cloth. I'm starting to get some good sun on my legs after a long winter with lots of clouds and rain. I've got some serious sandal tan lines on my feet.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

Couya wrote:My outfit for travel to Grenoble, almost formal, with tweed jacket and denim wrap skirt (pleatless kilt), ideal for narrow plane seats.
Whiling away time in Geneva airport yesterday.
image.jpg
Martin
I think your travel outfit looks great Martin. Last week week I wore a similar denim skirt when driving down from Horsham to Totnes. Mine is also a wrap around, and was made by my wife's friend, the hem is about 3" below the knees. The main exposure to the public was when I stopped for a coffee at Stourhead, a National Trust property, which was fairly busy. One man of a similar age to myself seemed to be having a good look, but most of the other people that I saw either didn't appear to notice or just had a glance.

John
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Greg and I did indeed meet up as planned in Malaga, both kilted as usual. Thanks to our exchanges over the years on Kiltforum, Skirtcafé and Rockmode.de, it was like meeting an old friend. Our chins did wag as we supped our beers and wandered the old town centre. His wife preferred to stay away, not because she disapproved, but rather so that we would feel at ease talking about ... kilts ans skirts!
Greg takes such beautiful photos, that I did not dare bring my little 5€ model. He turned up with all his paraphernalia and took several photos, experimenting with light and shade, and I have been waiting to see the results on at least one of the three forums. So far, no luck.
Martin
ps: oups !
Greg has already put up the photo on Kiltforum; logical, as that is the way were both attired.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Yes, I did Martin.

http://kiltforum.yuku.com/topic/3099/la ... low?page=3

It is rather late by now, but tomorrow I'll publish more photos here!

And thank you so much for a nice afternoon!

It is sooo COLD here. My dear wife and I wish we were back in Spain.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Thursday last week in Malaga

GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Those are wonderful shots, Greg and Martin. Wonderful! Thanks for posting them.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Nice photos indeed -- if a bit dark. The sun-shade contrast was very strong that afternoon. I should have worn a different waistcoat with that kilt.
I did not know Greg took so many photos of me (no-one else ever does!). Anyway, I'll pinch one or to to put on Facebook.

Martin -- still in the south and VERY warm!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Gerd, Martin,

How very entertaining! Great photos Gerd, of course and taken in such a nice place with lovely traditional architecture & fountain &c. I don't find any of them too dark, they merely convey the cool shade available in the old narrow streets.

That waistcoat is a nice cut and elegant, but would have been VERY smart if it were the same pattern as your kilt. Is that a Tilley hat? Looks great.

That's a very small glass, Martin, but probably appropriate to your size & figure. Me, I would feel undressed without a pint glass in hand!

Here, we're having a rotten May to date, with daytime temps. in the low mid teens...Brrrrh! I'm off to S. Turkey to do a spot of sailing, shortly. My knees need browning, like yours are.

Tom
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Tom,
on Rockmode.de, you'll see the barrels whence came the contents of my little glass. They contain a great variety of wines, not usually served in pint glasses.

Martin
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Martin,

Gotcha. Of course wine at 12/13% alc. is definitely not to be taken in pint measures, especially if you are navigating through the traffic on that bike of yours.

Our traffic laws have now tightened so much that even one pint at 4.3% alc. puts you either over or dangerously near the limit

Anyway. A great contribution and makes membership of the Forum well worthwhile.
Have a lovely Summer,

Tom
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Great photos! Thanks! The juxtaposition of two different plaids/tartans on Martin is a little odd to look at; it may work better with a solid vest. Otherwise a fine looking pair of gents and a commendable meet-up!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Ya, my wife beats me up if I wear a tweed coat with my plaid kilts... She prefers a solid top if wearing plaid below or visa versa...
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")