Summer...to shave or not to shave?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
freefire

Re: Summer...to shave or not to shave?

Post by freefire »

To Jim may the hair on your feet grow longer-lord of the rings
luvtoskirt

Post by luvtoskirt »

I shave my legs. I think shaved looks better on men and women when wearing skirts. It is becoming more common for men to shave their legs too.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

I never shave my legs with shorts, kilts or long skirts... My reasoning is that they look fine and "guy-like" in shorts, why should skirts or kilts be any different... besides, the idea of shaving ALL THAT surface area just doesn't appeal, it's bad enough I shave my face....
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I think I must be a one off. Some years ago I had medication for a heart condition, my legs became totally smooth much to the annoyance of my wife and daughter, and they stayed smooth. If they were hairy I think I'd wax em for skirt wearing, but I'd leave em hairy If I was wearing kilts. Luckily I kept the rest of my body hair and I'd hate to lose my beard.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I think the answer depends on how hairy you are. If you have a serious thatch, then shaving is probably not for you. If you have a more sparse covering (like me), then shaving gives a clean look to the leg, and an amazing tactile feel.

I cycle a lot so shaved legs are not unusual. Keeps the legs in good shape too! :-)
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Indeed, the tactile feel is what I consider most important. That is why I have a still short and light moustache. The patch of bristles on my chin that I can encircle with thumb and forefinger gets dealt with using tweezers - about every day or two with the aid of good light, a mirror, and steady hands. Regarding legs, I seem to be fortunate that the hair there is fairly even and light in colour.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I've been shaving my legs for several years now, its just part of my regular habit now. :)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I've used products called Nair or VEET.
They are cream or jell based and I only
have to use them twice a year.
The clean legs help to keep the support
hose from sliding down. (Support hose
required due DVT.)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Since this is starting to sound a bit like a 12 step program, Hi, I'm Taj and I shave my legs. Have for years. MOH walked in the room one morning as I was buzzing the electric razor around and pronounced it disgusting. Hasn't said a word about it since. I like the look. In the spring when legs are whitest the black shaggy leg hair looked terrible. I see shaved legs on men frequently around here. It's a pretty athletic region.

Edit: A further point I might mention is how men are depicted in media. The classic arts show men as proud and attractive. Their legs, and sometimes other areas, are shown clean shaven. Modern cartoons stereotype and mock men showing us as potbellied, unkempt, and with wildly stubbled legs. Men, particularly in the western hemisphere, are doing a poor job of managing their image. Women generally wouldn't put up with negative depictions or poor personal appearance. It is my understanding that gay men are pretty deliberate in their upkeep. Straight men could benefit from that roll model.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

I have very little hair on my legs. Where I do have hair it is thin and in spots. So shaving my legs just looks better. If the hair on my legs was thicker and even like it was when I was 20 then I might not.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

My legs are quite hairy and I like that way! Hairy legs under thin tights are not a good look, so I go for thick tights or bare legs or a long skirt.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Alastair, give it a go. The good news is that if you don't like it, your legs will revert to normal in no time. However, you really have to experience the tactility of bare legs. It's amazing. You can also try out sheer tights if you want. They are also amazingly tactile in their own way. Heads you win, tails you win...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Fortunately I have fair hair that isn't very noticeable and anyway I figure that I wouldn't shave my legs if I wore shorts so why should I shave to wear a skirt? Perhaps the most important ( to me ) reason not to shave my legs is that if I did MOH would see it as another step in my downward spiral into looking like a woman. So, the slightly downy look for me whether I like it or no. I tend to wear thickish tights anyway.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

I don't shave; it's extra maintenance, and I like my legs hairy just as well. But for those who do like to shave, more power to you!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned, I imagine my Mrs would take a similarly dim view. So I shall ignore Ray's advice for now. Maybe I'll try it some time, if the Mrs ever fully accepts my skirts ...
Keep on skirting,

Alastair