Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Sinned »

I have been working on checkout for about a month now at Dunelm and I have seen large numbers of women of all ages come through my till. Depressingly the number skirted is very small - sometimes only about a dozen or two in any day. Sometimes I get too busy to remember to look but I will try and get a representation in terms of numbers.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Couya wrote:Bit what conexión can there be between skirt wearing and transgender?

Martin
I was trying to make a broader point: we, as skirt wearers, share many of the problems that transgender people experience because of pressure from society to conform to its false norms. We are much luckier, in that we have a much lower inbuilt level of conviction that we should be wearing a skirt compared with a transgender person's conviction that they are not what their birth certifcate says they are - and very few of us are driven to suicide because of suppressing that desire, or murdered because of giving in to it.

By having the courage to be seen going against the norms and exposing them as false, we are not only helping other skirt wearers but we are also doing our bit towards helping transgendered people, who are having a much rougher time of it than we are.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Pelmut,
Your point is well made.
We are simply challenging fashion norms and perhaps doing slight damage to the male clothing industry.
The transgendered among us are actually challenging their very being as seen by society.
All of that aside, the more so called "norms" that are challenged and proven spurious, the better we will be.
Hopefully, our skirts may help that along.
Steve.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Carl wrote :
I actively advocate for engagement with those around you if you dare to be different.
I quite agree, but opportunities are few and far between. Most people seem to prefer to ignore my skirts/kilts. Those that mention my attire usually go no farther than to ask "Scottish?", and I have to admit I usually chicken out and say "Yes, half Scottish." Though when I have my wits about me, I'll say "No need to be Scottish to wear a kilt," and "It's nice and comfortable."

I have recently taken up two new activities; in both groups I am seen as the Scot (or the Brit, or just the foreigner), but, apart from two brief, half-whispered "I like your kilt" comments, there has been no mention whatsoever of my trouserlessness, week after week. At aqua gym, I am of course kiltless in the swimming pool, so perhaps it is not surprising, but at Spanish folkdance classes, where my kilt is really inappropriate, I am amazed that no-one, but no-one, has made any comment or asked any questions. And it is not because they are too disciplined to talk in class; they're all terribly talkative! To use on expression oft-used here, they just can't get their heads around it.

Perhaps I should try to be more activist/militant, and not wait for a cue; ask other men why they don't wear skirts.

I did so once actually, catching up with a neighbor out walking on a very, very hot day, I said "How on earth can you put up with long trousers this weather?" He merely changed the subject saying "Never mind about things like that."

Martin
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Martin,
I've had cause to wonder about the very same thing, no question, no comment about the skirts.
I'd presumed that my "encounters" were showing a polite, northerly reticence to question my attire.
A comment from an aquaintance, Asian Lady, "you look so natural" .
Perhaps, others felt that too, and saw no need to say more.
Steve.
I'll freely admit that it's also the best compliment I've ever received!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Couya wrote:....I am amazed that no-one, but no-one, has made any comment or asked any questions...
Don't assume rejection because of silence; silence more likely indicates acceptance, or at least freedom to wear what you want.

Most of us prefer no special attention when wearing a skirt or kilt. But if you *want* special attention, just ask them, "So what do you think of my kilt?" Just be prepared for a range of answers.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Couya wrote:Perhaps I should try to be more activist/militant, and not wait for a cue; ask other men why they don't wear skirts.

This an approach which has never occurred to me. I strongly suspect that the answer would be simply "Because men don't wear skirts" and that the conversation would end there. The obvious next line "So why do you wear them?" may or may not follow. If not, that would suggest that the man was so aghast at the notion of a man in a skirt that he could not bring himself to discuss it. Or that he was insulted at the implication that he might consider such an aberrant type of clothing. And even if he did ask, he would already be in a negative frame of mind and ready to defend the position he had just taken, rather than to have an open-minded discussion.

Of course there would be exceptions. "I've often thought about it but ..." but the chance of that seems too small to bother. :(

As for old men who live in hot countries and wear long trousers whatever the weather, I'm baffled that they won't even switch to shorts. It must be cultural, it makes no sense any other way.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

skirtyscot wrote: This an approach which has never occurred to me. I strongly suspect that the answer would be simply "Because men don't wear skirts" and that the conversation would end there.
I was in the local library, wearing a denim kilt. A man said to me "Men don't wear skirts". I replied that this one does. What I should have said is "Why?". It was a very brief exchange.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Charlie wrote:I was in the local library, wearing a denim kilt. A man said to me "Men don't wear skirts". I replied that this one does. What I should have said is "Why?". It was a very brief exchange.
Charlie
One of my most amusing conversations about skirts occurred some years ago. I was walking through Maidenhead and passed a group of late teenagers. After I passed one of them called out "They're for women mate" I turned and asked what are? His reply of "Skirts" gave me the opportunity to borrow an adapted version of Charlies sign off; I replied "No, you're getting mixed up; girls wear jeans" All the girls in his group were in jeans while all the other lads were in silly long, baggy shorts. As he looked around his group they all started laughing at him for dressing as a girl. I wandered off with a smile on my face.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I often have the impression that people avert their eyes, as they see me coming along the street, and am pretty sure that Skirtyscot is right :
... so aghast at the notion of a man in a skirt that he could not bring himself to discuss it.
After all, a man in a skirt may turn out to be a vicious paederast, a violent rapist; he might touch you (gasp!), even turn you gay. Worst of all, if your friends and neighbors see you talking to a man in a skirt, what will the think of you?

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Or, they may simply be minding their own business.

You have to accept the fact that a man wearing a skirt in public is unusual. You're going to get a gamut of reactions. Enjoy their variety and enjoy pushing the envelope.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

We had our company Christmas party on Sunday, clothing styles were....eclectic? Everything from full on evening dress for the ladies, didn,'t see any Tuxedos, but a few very smart suits. Some came straight from work as they were, some short skirts, a pair of gold lame stretch pants...you name it, they wore it. I wanted to wear a skirt, but don't yet have a fancy shirt that would work in my eyes. Potbelly's suggestion of a Guayabera has possibilities, will buy one or two to see. Like the idea of a fancy shirt that doesn't require a tie, for one thing! There was a lot of changing, and peeling of layers on arrival, the location involves a walk in the open for about 150 meters or so, and it was COLD.

Anyway, one of the younger crew wore a kilt, which I confirmed with him as a Utilikilt. I have seen 2 guys attend previous years in full on traditional scot outfit, tartan, waistcoat, socks, sporan etc..Neither were at this years for some reason. I've also seen a previous co-worker in another Utilikilt, (which he wore to work as well sometimes)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I went to a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert on Sunday and spotted a gray-haired pony-tailed guy in a denim utility kilt. No time to chat, though; he was rushing the other way.

caultron
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

This week have had two compliments when wearing a Black UtilityKilt, both from women, one waiting inline in the Supermarket and one waiting for coffee, both thought the whole thing looked very good , I was very pleased!

John
danielobvt

Post by danielobvt »

Sinned wrote:I have been working on checkout for about a month now at Dunelm and I have seen large numbers of women of all ages come through my till. Depressingly the number skirted is very small - sometimes only about a dozen or two in any day. Sometimes I get too busy to remember to look but I will try and get a representation in terms of numbers.
Quite the opposite here in Washington DC. I ride the metro to work every day and probably 20-25% of the women here wear skirts/dresses. Which given that our high today is 40F with brisk winds means that this is the low point for skirts in this area.