Necklace as... neck tie?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Steve

Necklace as... neck tie?

Post by Steve »

I've never considered myself much of one for jewelery--for whatever reason--but I came across this photo and was struck by the use of the necklace. I've never seen anyone place it over a shirt quite like this and I think I like it but I'm not sure what contexts this would even work in. Neither do I have any (nor ready access to) necklace to experiment with, so this may have to stew on the "theoretical" backburner for awhile.
necklace_small.png
I'd like to hear other thoughts on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Necklace as... neck tie?

Post by Caultron »

Interesting look, although the facial piercings aren't exactly my style.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Steve

Post by Steve »

Caultron wrote:Interesting look, although the facial piercings aren't exactly my style.
I concur; that's one aspect of the look I don't intend to emulate.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I could see how chain or perhaps beads could be used in something like a bolo tie.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Isn't the gold chain look kind of Hip-Hop?
Then again, how would I know? It's well out of my age range. On the other hand, I wear a necklace every day, almost always under my shirt. On Fridays and weekends they are visible with an open neck shirt.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

dillon wrote:I could see how chain or perhaps beads could be used in something like a bolo tie.
Interesting idea, diversifying bolo ties. We need all the variety we can get.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Everything good but the nose object.

John
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have never been into jewelry, but yes, I could see why a man might choose a necklace as his version of a tie.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I've got a bolo tie that I occasionally wear, and I used to have a necklace that I wore all the time until the charm on it (a unicorn) was so badly battered that it was no longer really recognizable and wouldn't take to being soldered back together any longer.

Before the unicorn necklace, I had a 1960s-era disk-drive head of what looked like stainless steel, but was probably something else, that I wish I could find but am sure it's long gone. (Later ones were made of ceramics, and modern ones need a very powerful magnifier to see.) I might get another simple chain, though.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Just to show you what I wear.
neckchain.jpg
It gets far more appreciative comments than my skirts/kilts ever do.
Although sold in a women's shop, the straight edges and 90° corners have nothing feminine imho.
Reminiscent of ancient Greek patterns, I think.
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I wear under my top a medium-weight round-link gold necklace at the moment with MOH's wedding ring on it. The ring was getting tight on her finger and with some difficulty she managed to remove it ( the ring, not the finger ) so she wears another gold ring at the moment. I would add mine to it but, having put on weight over the years, it is on in such a way that the flesh in between the ring and the first joint has subcutaneous fat deposited to extent that I'd never get it off. The skin under the ring though is devoid of fat so that it is quite loose at that point.

And Mrtn I don't think it looks feminine at all. Vaguely Greek in its styling.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Nice style, Martin.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Nice detailing, Martin, but I expect those little slippers wouldn't take you far up Mont Blanc! Being the same weight as the day we married I have no difficulty getting my ring off and inspecting the date in the inside....4-1-69.

Apart from obligatory ties for consultations at work, I only wear a 'necklace' of keys when I gain access to the lock-up boathouse on the local Blessington reservoir lake to access my single racing sculling boat. I wear the keys thus so I don't mislay them, which would be inconvenient, to say the least.
They are kept in a local resident's post-locker, so boat owners can access them, so I have to remember to return them every time.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Couya wrote:Just to show you what I wear.
neckchain.jpg
It gets far more appreciative comments than my skirts/kilts ever do.
Although sold in a women's shop, the straight edges and 90° corners have nothing feminine imho.
Reminiscent of ancient Greek patterns, I think.
Martin
You got that from the other side of he aisle? :shock: Its...its....its subversive jewelry!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I took a look at a number of different forums, regarding jewelry worn by men. Generally, the people posting wanted to restrict men to the same old/same old. Permissible-a watch, perhaps a ring. Items traditionally worn on clothing, such as tie clasps and cufflinks. Otherwise, people used terms such as weird or effeminate.