Wearing a skirt to court!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Wearing a skirt to court!

Post by jeanfor »

I wonder if any of you guys have been able to wear a skirt to court or have had any experience with it. Courts are kind of a special place where judges often act like little king in their courtroom. Logically, men should be able to wear skirts as long as the entire outfit respects the court and is in anyway offensive.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a skirt to court!

Post by skirtingtoday »

This reminds me of a case a couple of years back in the Daily Wail. This was where a defendant wore a vest and shorts to court (26deg C temp), was turned away, reappearing later in a blouse and red floral skirt - and was accepted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... horts.html
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I think one has to have respect for the court and the law and “dress (or skirt)” appropriately :D
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jeanfor »

The question is "Can a man be thrown out of court for wearing a skirt?"
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

jeanfor wrote:The question is "Can a man be thrown out of court for wearing a skirt?"
As in the fist post it was undisputed, but was this ot stop media having a field day with one rule for females and for males.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Since1982 (Skip Fraser, RIP) posted on these pages saying he did jury service in a skirt. It seems some judges allow it and others don't.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

About three years ago a mad-man who lives along the road had me arrested for "exposing myself to the public" or some such.
Of course I pleaded "not guilty" and was going to thus have to go to court and defend myself. The "minor court" it turned out where all the boring traffic stuff is heard.
Of course my accuser didn't show.
The Police Prosicuter made a great show of not being able to find the paper so the horrible charge wasn't read out to the well populated courtroom.
So then it was my turn to speak, and I meerly said: "I was accused of something I didn't do, and I expect him to show up with evidence against me"
Not a sausage. The Magistrate said: " In that case we'll have to dismiss the charge". I said: "Thank you Your Honour", and marched out. I almost expected a round of applause!
I'll never forget it, and I still cross the road if I see that joker on the street.
These I wore to court:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Good on you, Jack. There are always those sort of jerks lurking in every neighbourhood. They live sad unfulfilled lives. Great get-up, by the way!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I've always found, when dealing with any officialdom, a white t-shirt, not a black or other coloured one is best.
I have to say I looked a lot smarter than the grunge on some of the other defendants in the holding pen at the preliminary hearing when, if one pleads "Not guilty" you are remanded untill the proper court hearing. This gives time to get up a defence. A friend who does a lot of court work said, keep it short, they're very busy and haven't got a lot of time.
Last edited by Jack Williams on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Last time I was in traffic court (did 50 in a 35 mph zone), I did skirt. Was a non-issue. Early January 2010.

Added a parka and a pair of athletic shoes - discovered long ago that the metal eyelets for the laces on a pair of hiking boots set off metal detectors. Same with the buckles on a kilt, so, whenever I have to deal with a courthouse, I'm either trousered, or skirted. Since I no longer have any trousers, it's going to have to be a skirt.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The last time I was summonsed to perform jury duty at the local pantheon of miscreants (on both sides of the law, mind) I seriously contemplated a skirted rig, but when the appointed day came it turned out to be cold, wet, and utterly nasty (not terribly unlike the inside of said hall). I opted for trousers.

Also not too long back I had to go down to my local police-station to fill out the paperwork for, and get other assorted stuff done to complete, my local firearms permit (we're still allowed them, mainly because the State had infinitely more firepower than any individual or group of individuals can muster) and I quite honestly forget whether I went the skirted route or not. Everybody in town knows anyway, so it wouldn't have been news to the bloke behind the desk. In any event, nothing untoward was said and the exchange was entirely professional and even somewhat cordial.

I rather suspect that so long as you maintain an attitude and bearing of decorum and civility that nobody will give one any grief so long as basic decency is maintained.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

When I said I was defending myself, I then got all the documentation. That's how I found out who my accuser was. Even though he was blacked out, holding to the light revieled all.
A great suvenir though is my wonderful Police mugshot, which I had mounted. It's a classic, and I'll see if I can get a photo of it in good light tomorrow. I burned all the other stuff.
Except for the DVD!
When we got back to the station and done the photo shoot and prints, they said although not compulsory I could make a statement. I said yes I'd make a statement. He said I could make a written statement or a video statement. I said: "I'll make a video statement!" I thought that might be a bit of fun in a not really all that good a situation to find myslf in.
So they had to lock me in this small totally graphiti covered room while they got the apparatis set up.
In the video I am wearing a t-shirt and the khaki skirt, which were what I had on when the cops turned up.
So the DVD starts out with an impressive echoing BOOM of the steel door as I and the young constable enter and sit facing each other at a desk with a mike between us. At the other end of the room is this large black box with a lens focused on us side on and a small round monitor like an oscilloscope tube, rolling as we enter, and simultaniously burning three DVDs, one each for the Court, the Police and the Defence. So with my "Defence" hat on I got a priceless DVD!
When he read out the horrible charge I was quite outraged actually. I look him straight in the eye and say: "I refute that!"
Twice.
In the end we both turn towards the machine as he plays it back. He said was that OK as we could do it again. I said, no it was fine. In fact it would have been impossible to do it again.
So the Police Prosecuter, and the Magistrate would have viewed their copies, which would have certainly done me no harm in the court. No wonder they were so nice in the court now I think about it. And of course they'd not be surprised to see me skirted in the courtroom.
I'd better not post the mugshot, as it says it's for internal Police use only, so it looks like I'm not even supposed to have it.
The video is also not likely to appear on YouTube!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Boy, I have a doozy of a story about this. I did a one year paralegal certificate in Utah a couple years ago and for one a mediation class I took, we had to attend court as an assignment. The teacher arranged everything and we all showed up. It was a blazing Utah summer, and this was before I wore kilts or skirts, so I had shorts on. Well, long story short, my class and I were the only ones in the room, no defendants, prosecutors or judge, and the bailiff walks in, sees me in my shorts, and tells me I have to leave because I can't wear shorts in the courtroom. Well, the girl behind me was wearing a knee length khaki skirt, no different from my shorts save the bifurcated issue, and she was allowed to stay. Needless to say I was fuming at the unfairness of it all, and this event was a major catalyst for me to start wearing kilts and skirts. I've always wanted to go back to that particularly court room with that particular bailiff who thought he was all that cuz he had a badge and gun and waltz right in in front of him in a kilt or a knee-length khaki skirt, just to see what he says/does. Girls go into that courtroom wearing hardly anything and I get kicked out for wearing shorts; never mind that I had to be there for an assignment. It was infuriating then, but I laugh about it now. IMHO, judges should not be able to make their own personal rules for their courtroom, particularly when it comes to clothing (nudity aside, reasonably).