When do you say it's *hot*?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
howardh

When do you say it's *hot*?

Post by howardh »

Summer (that's the day between winter and winter in the UK) finally arrived here in Costa Del Irwell. Standing outside, thought it was pleasantly warm in the shade but not *hot*. It was 23c. To me, 25c is the turning point between warm and hot.

If you live in Arizona, 25c is probably the temperature that would make you put your central heating on full blast!!

But just wondered, as we have people from all corners of the world here, at what shade temperature (in centigrade) do you think is hot??
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: When do you say it's *hot*?

Post by crfriend »

howardh wrote:But just wondered, as we have people from all corners of the world here, at what shade temperature (in centigrade) do you think is hot??
I'm a bit of an oddity, but I'm quite happy if I'm reasonably static (e.g. in my study) when it's in the 26-27C range. If I'm active, I like it a bit cooler than that. I start getting very uncomfortable when it hits 30C, especially if the humidity is high.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

howardh wrote:...If you live in Arizona, 25c is probably the temperature that would make you put your central heating on full blast!!
I live in Arizona and no, we don't on the heat when the temperature is 25c (77f) outside.

But we do have 100 days a year with temperatures over 38c (100f) and those are definitely hot.

BTW, because of altitude, temperatures are often 25-30 degrees F lower in Northern Arizona than in the central and southern parts of the state. They have snow in the winter up there, skiing, ...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Anything over 30C is hot, anything over 40C is very very trying.

John
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

We hit 90F (32C) in the warmer parts of San Francisco last week. That's hot for here. 80F (27C) is considered warm here. The low to mid 70s is more common in the summer here.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Anything over 30C is hot on the highvelt. Mid to late 20c is comfortable. :)
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

It all depends on what you are wearing, or on what you are expected to wear by other people.
Martin
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

.....and as Jack Lemon & Tony Curtis would say....'Some like it Hot!'

I like it hot, provided I've got some protection on my head, as there's precious little left there now, & not much inside, either! :eye: My personal comfort zone is somewhere between 20 & 32 degrees Centipede. I'll bare my legs in that & enjoy the freedom.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Between 25° and 30°C, depending on the sun, the wind, my level of activity, and the humidity.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Any temperature above 12deg C and I wear shorts - and they act like a thermometer. The shorter the shorts, the warmer the weather is!

I would say hot for me is 25deg C and above and that has my shortest shorts (or if the Mrs isn't around, the denim miniskirt!)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

In Ohio in can be 80f with a humidity level at 75% which I consider quite warm and uncomfortable.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I would place that line at 85F and 70% RH. At RH values under 50%, I can handle 90F without complaint. Trouble is that our summers are usually 88 to 99F and above the 70% RH threshold for three to four months, June through September. Worse is that night temperatures often remain above 70F for much of this period, and with stifling humidity. And with the Gulf Stream bringing up tropical moisture, we don't even get a legitimate autumn. Welcome to eastern NC!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Aaaah, but from what I read, you can grow great garden produce!

Here, any day that reaches 20 degrees is 'Summer' and these tend to arrive singly, so changeable is our weather, year-round. It's always moist, if not humid, and dry days are welcomed. That's what we must expect, being a small 300-mile island at the East end of a 3,000-mile ocean, with prevailing SW. winds.

Our vocabulary reflects this, e.g. a fine dry day is a 'pet' day and a cloudy drizzly one is a 'soft' day.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

It really depends on the humidity for me. If it's humid and 20 deg Celsius (68 deg F), I may be sweating. If it's fairly dry and 40 deg C (104 deg F), I might be fine. Back in the trouser days, I'd usually get hot no matter what, around 75 deg F, which, IIRC is about 25 deg C.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Well, whatever...today was a lovely pleasant day, as close to perfect as can be, aside from the bloodthirsty yellow flies being quite active now, and for this day I give thanks. As some humorist once said, any day above ground is a fine day...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...