What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Post by melsav »

Hi Kirbstone. Love the kilt in the pics above, the colour is great, fits you very well and hangs great. Don't know about wearing tights though I prefer the long black socks. :D
Melvin
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

JeffB1959 wrote:Thanks, guys! I didn't think anyone remembered me. I'm happy you did. I'll try to be more of a contributor here.
Oh, yes. I'm a very occasional poster on hhplace so see you on your jaunts there. Keep it up, Jeff, and keep in touch here too. You have much to add. Oh, don't give up on the sheer hosiery - you rock the look, and you used to wear them a lot in the early days at work!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Ray wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote:Thanks, guys! I didn't think anyone remembered me. I'm happy you did. I'll try to be more of a contributor here.
Oh, yes. I'm a very occasional poster on hhplace so see you on your jaunts there. Keep it up, Jeff, and keep in touch here too. You have much to add. Oh, don't give up on the sheer hosiery - you rock the look, and you used to wear them a lot in the early days at work!
Well, thanks for the kind words. Oh, I haven't given up on sheer hosiery, even though I often go barelegged in spring and especially summer when it's usually too hot for pantyhose, but I might break it out for special occasions.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

For me it depends on the weather and whether it is a kilt or skirt I am wearing.
For my "traditional" plaid kilt, I always wear kilt socks(hose)
For my recently acquired Utilitikilts, both around knee-length, (one beige/khaki and a second one all black), I wear either kilt hose or ankle socks.
Finally with skirts in winter, I do wear tights (generally very dark coloured - brown or blue - or black), min 60denier to mask the hairy legs (as sheers would not be a good look) and in summer just ankle socks (usually white)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Well, I fell in love with tights/pantyhose in support hose mode in 2007 when some nursing friends suggested it for my tired legs when I was doing night shift in the NOC and on my feet for 12 hours on concrete and raised flooring surfaces, or sitting for 12 hours. Discovered they helped with my leg cramps and they were likely contributory to my surviving a mild DVT behind the right knee. I've been wearing them under trousers and shorts for the last 7 years.

Plus they make my older legs look good. So I will likely continue wearing them as I have been, just will be adding skirts to the mix (from mini to knee-length). I like the look and it gives me a few colors to play with: beige, black, mocha, navy, gray and a few patterns: argyle, houndstooth and smooth.

Haven't worn socks in years though I may have one or two pair hidden somewhere and I figured on wearing tights with my polyester (?) kilt for the most part.

I change into my first (pencil) skirt immediately on getting home and while I may not wear it out and about this weekend I think I'll go shopping for a cargo skirt, a denim miniskirt or something and find a means of carrying my usual pocket-junk either a fanny pack worn it front like a sporran or a plain simple shoulder bag or....?

Wearing hose caused some dissension amongst my friends but mostly they put up with it now, skirting may produce even more waves. :roll:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'll throw this in, I've no idea why this should be.
I have a mild arthritic condition in my left leg resulting from a break when I was 3 years old.
In cold or wet weather that would cause some discomfort and occasionally mid range pain.
I've actually seen a disinct improvement over the last year. The only difference is that, in that time I've mainly worn tights and a skirt when outdoors. Admittedly, we've had a mild winter but it has been very damp and cold which would have made it worse before.
Haven't worn socks for any length of time for ages, the feel of them is becoming foreign to me.
Any ideas?
Steve.
kiltedbear

Post by kiltedbear »

I live in a colder climate and in the winter I found that men's dance tights work well when wearing a kilt I'll wear knee high socks over the tights this works well when it's to cold to go with bare legs.
jolt_34500

Post by jolt_34500 »

For me it really depends on the time of year, etc, etc. One thing is I don't tan at all in the spring/summer months and usually my legs are a very pale whitish shade, so there are times I might opt for pantyhose or thigh highs to tone that a bit, less painful than a sunburn, in the winter I usually wear tights. Overall it is an on going experiment as I find some skirts or kilts versatile.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I found this in my mom's autobiography in the section of fashion from the early 1930s:
Mom wrote: That first nylon was like iron. It wouldn't run, it wouldn't snag. It lasted so long that the color faded out. We actually bought dye for nylons to put some color back in. Too soon, the manufacturers discovered they weren't making much money that way, so they made them much more fragile.
Has anyone made such sturdy nylon hose recently?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Most of the time I am bare legged.(0) I do wear knee high compression stockings when I travel on airplanes. Also when I am dressing up to eat out or visit friends. (1)

I have hairless legs and don't have to shave them except for a few small spots. I also tan in the summer so don't really need anything then. If it is really cold and I am going to be out for a period of time I will wear knee highs to help keep warm.

(0) Also bare footed I hate shoes as I have strangely shaped large feet and it is very hard to find shoes that actually fit unless I want to get a bank loan and have then made to fit.

(1) Dressing up to visit friend does not happen often. I usually just wear my every day clothes.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Jim wrote:I found this in my mom's autobiography in the section of fashion from the early 1930s:
Mom wrote: That first nylon was like iron. It wouldn't run, it wouldn't snag. It lasted so long that the color faded out. We actually bought dye for nylons to put some color back in. Too soon, the manufacturers discovered they weren't making much money that way, so they made them much more fragile.
Has anyone made such sturdy nylon hose recently?
Although I can't (yet) attest to their durability...yet! https://sheerlygenius.com/ is doing something about it. Hopefully, I'll have an idea when my purchase from them through their indiegogo funding campaign comes through.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

As Far as I am aware , Nylon was a joint product development between New York and London ( U.K.)

Perhaps Nylon is used as a trade name for stockings. ....
nylon is perhaps a thread as used in stockings and a material used in the engineering industry.

If we look at Bri Nylon., perhaps this is a slightly different product or material.
Are Stockings now made of Bri Nylon ? ....
Modern stockings and tights are graded by the dernier weight and strength of the material....
Runs in stockings could be held by the use of nail varnish.
Call in the material laboratory to give us an answer........
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:APerhaps Nylon is used as a trade name for stockings. ....
nylon is perhaps a thread as used in stockings and a material used in the engineering industry.
Wikipedia has a nice writeup on the substance which is a good starting point. It is used for many things other than filaments for making thread, it's also used for physical objects such as bolts, nuts, and washers. Being non-metallic, it's not subject to corrosion and is absolutely non-ferrous. It has surface-properties that make it useful also as a non-stick sliding surface and has good resistance to abrasion, especially if paired with itself as part of a sliding pair.

The early fibres would have been larger in diameter than can be produced now, and that's likely the reason for the durability of Nylon stockings in the early days; they also weren't particularly sheer, but that wasn't as much of a worry then as the "gold standard" was silk. I suspect the durability was a manifestation of the production techniques of the time.

Hilariously, the linked page contains quite a bit about "blended fabrics" which will be sure to set the Old Testament types' teeth on edge.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

What do I wear on my legs?
Just a bit of fine hair which I find unavoidable but don't want to remove it.
Otherwise I have occasionally worn very long, coton blend socks when I felt a bit skirt deprived in winter.

Nylon is a great material for mechanical engineering but I wouldn't wear it, even in winter, because of static shock in this dry climate. When I say dry; relative humidity the other day was 8%.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

What do I wear? Depending on the moment. It varies from bare legs, to tights, leggings, or even a tregging / jegging. Some dresses can I wear as a longshirt.