Men wearing skirts/women wearing pants-trousers

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
Hemitom

Men wearing skirts/women wearing pants-trousers

Post by Hemitom »

Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men wearing skirts/women wearing pants-trousers

Post by Stu »

I'm not sure what this item has to do with couture.

I'm not even sure how this is relevant to us on here, as i have no desire to wear anything remotely feminine. I don't see plain denim skirts as inherently feminine and nobody could argue that Utilikilts are anything other than very macho.

In Biblical times, no men wore trousers because they didn't exist.

Stu
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

They seem to be a Catholic equivalent of the Westboro Baptist crowd.
I don't know if it belongs in the 'Couture' section. Maybe we could do with a 'Satirical' or 'Humour' section?
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Just incredible that anyone could write such rubbish -- even 50 years ago.

I think things have changed a little since then, though I remember reading somewhere that some religious person blamed recent earthquakes on the rise in homosexuality.

I suppose not everyone can be as intelligent as the members of this forum !

Martin
(You can cross out the word "religious" if it offends you.)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pleated wrote:I don't know if it belongs in the 'Couture' section. Maybe we could do with a 'Satirical' or 'Humour' section?
That's the entire problem with satire taken to its logical extreme. We could all get a laugh from Tom Lehrer's The old Dope Peddler, or even Dr. Strangelove. But, Henry Kissinger winning the Nobel Peace Prize? Who is kidding whom?

I read a decent chunk of the treatise, and what struck me was that at least Father Guido Sarducci was funny; these guys aren't (or at least don't seem to be). I'll hold out hope that it's satire, but don't be overly surprised if this thread winds up in the "Off Topic" section.

I do hope that this isn't the latest slide down into the new Dark Age.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

crfriend wrote:
pleated wrote:I don't know if it belongs in the 'Couture' section. Maybe we could do with a 'Satirical' or 'Humour' section?
That's the entire problem with satire taken to its logical extreme. We could all get a laugh from Tom Lehrer's The old Dope Peddler, or even Dr. Strangelove. But, Henry Kissinger winning the Nobel Peace Prize? Who is kidding whom?

I read a decent chunk of the treatise, and what struck me was that at least Father Guido Sarducci was funny; these guys aren't (or at least don't seem to be). I'll hold out hope that it's satire, but don't be overly surprised if this thread winds up in the "Off Topic" section.

I do hope that this isn't the latest slide down into the new Dark Age.
Yes, it probably belongs in 'Off Topic'.
Most people today would regard it with some amusement but it was originally written as a serious article.

They are a hang-over from the Dark Ages but are too extreme to get much support these days so I don't think we should worry too much about that. As I pointed out before they would probably have about the same level of support as the Westboro crowd.
I'm not going to write any more about it here since religion can be so divisive. If anyone wants to understand the background they can find more information at these links-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedevacantism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Siri
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siri_Thesis
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Well when all's said and done, I think it's already done and dusted. Around here women are certainly seen bifucated much more than in dresses or skirts, although as summer comes on more dresses are seen. So they are emancipated (emaciated?) (emasculated?) time we were too. Emancipated. Emasculated? I'm as confused as they appear to be.
Chris Webb

Post by Chris Webb »

Every time I go out I'm shocked at how few women wear skirts and dresses anymore ... and I lament the decline of women in skirts and dresses, though it does make the increasingly rare panty flash just a bit more delicious. :twisted:

A few weeks ago I was at a Sports Bar here in Burleson,Texas, called the Spice Rack. I was the only person in the entire bar, inside and outside, wearing a skirt, in this case a short cammo kilt. A particularly brash young lady engaged me and made a big deal out of how inappropriate my skirt was and nothing I said in my defense had any effect on her. More and more people were stopping their conversations and listening to mine with this young lady. She wouldn't back down and I began to think the whole crowd might turn against me.

I stood up very straight and said rather loudly, "Frankly, I'm offended by your pants!" She said, "What? Why??" "You should be wearing a skirt," I said, "and I think it's inappropriate for you to be wearing jeans, you look like a man." At this point her boyfriend was grinning ear to ear and about half the crowd was too. She said, "Should I wear a skirt as short as yours (sarcastically)?" "Shorter, actually." At this point the crowd was laughing, the girl was befuddled, her boyfriend was toasting me and the owner gave me a shot of Scotch.

I don't know what any of this has to do with this thread, but since we're not even sure what category it belongs in, what the Hell! It's a good story and a good example of how the issue of gender restricted clothing endures until this day. :?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Chris Webb wrote:I don't know what any of this has to do with this thread, but since we're not even sure what category it belongs in, what the Hell! It's a good story and a good example of how the issue of gender restricted clothing endures until this day. :?
Well, it gave this reader a big old grin. It's always rather delightful when somebody intolerant gets their comeuppance -- especially when it has to be done publically. It's good when a quiet conversation can change minds and attitudes, but for the especially intolerant a good lambasting in public is always great spectacle and usually leaves the narrow-minded one grasping for anything else.
Chris Webb

Post by Chris Webb »

crfriend wrote:
Chris Webb wrote:I don't know what any of this has to do with this thread, but since we're not even sure what category it belongs in, what the Hell! It's a good story and a good example of how the issue of gender restricted clothing endures until this day. :?
Well, it gave this reader a big old grin. It's always rather delightful when somebody intolerant gets their comeuppance -- especially when it has to be done publically. It's good when a quiet conversation can change minds and attitudes, but for the especially intolerant a good lambasting in public is always great spectacle and usually leaves the narrow-minded one grasping for anything else.
Exactly!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Excellent, Chris! Attack is the best form of defence.

You haven't told us what arguments you used at first, but pointing out the inequality of standard dress codes in a humourous way did the trick. Not for your protagonist, who probably clings all the more to her opinions because she lost so publicly, but for everyone else who had one ear on your discussion.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Attack is the best form of defence.
Not always, but certainly when it comes to intransigence on the part of an unwelcome and unwanted detractor it absolutely has its place, and Chris handled that one with panache thereby putting the assailant (for want of a better word) on the back foot.

Standing up to deliver something is frequently a good idea as not only does it improve one's appearance of size, power, and confidence it also gives one better voice and breath control. Because of that latter facet, even when I'm in private I tend to stand to make or answer telephone calls that may have a lot riding on them.
You haven't told us what arguments you used at first, but pointing out the inequality of standard dress codes in a humourous way did the trick. Not for your protagonist, who probably clings all the more to her opinions because she lost so publicly, but for everyone else who had one ear on your discussion.
True enough, the young woman will probably walk away from that even more jaded to the notion than before because she got her head handed to her very publically by the same argument that she was using. However, depending on how long the entire event took to unfold she likely got some hint of what might be coming if she didn't climb down a bit. If it gets out that her boyfriend was getting some enjoyment out of the spectacle that might cause problems in the relationship.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Just read that post. Well done sir!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews