Last night!!!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Last night!!!

Post by Tackleberry »

Well last night I did it, I went to Tesco's!
I was nervous as hell about it, but thought nothing ventured, nothing gained........
Anyway, got home from work and changed into my ankle length denim skirt and attempted to go out the building only to see someone having a cigarette outside, so ran back inside and waited a bit......
I managed to get going and got to Tesco's which felt fine, didn't notice any looks for a while, but in one of the aisles a bloke looked me up and down but didn't say anything.
I got what I went for and used one of those bloody stupid self checkout things and it needed age checking so (I bought some beer) and noticed the assistant looking me up and down, but also said nothing........
When I paid and left the shop I passed a couple in maybe their late 20s and as I passed I heard her say "he's wearing a skirt"....
Wonder if I would have got less stares if I wore a miniskirt and tights?
I would like to do it again but my nerves get in the way.......
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Last night!!!

Post by couyalair »

Tackleberry wrote: Wonder if I would have got less stares if I wore a miniskirt and tights?
Minskirts are made to attract stares; not the best way to start, imho.
Tackleberry wrote:I would like to do it again but my nerves get in the way.......
There's only one way to get over the nerves; just go out skirted again and again until, one day, you'll realize the nervousness has disappeared.

The fact that I still remember the first time I was skirted in public is indicative of my nervousness at the time, otherwise, the event would have faded into oblivion just like any other shopping trip. I was wearing a home-made skirt doing odd jobs at home when I needed something in a hurry from a DIY shop. I went there as I was, found the equipment, waited some time for some extra information, queued, paid and left. There was absolutely nothing memorable about all this except, for me, my skirt. Lots of people must have noticed it and thought how odd, but I'm sure they all forgot what they saw within minutes of leaving the shop, because it did not affect their lives in any way. For me, however, it was the first step on the way to freedom.

Martin
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

couyalair wrote:
Tackleberry wrote: Wonder if I would have got less stares if I wore a miniskirt and tights?
Minskirts are made to attract stares; not the best way to start, imho.
Tackleberry wrote:I would like to do it again but my nerves get in the way.......
There's only one way to get over the nerves; just go out skirted again and again until, one day, you'll realize the nervousness has disappeared.

The fact that I still remember the first time I was skirted in public is indicative of my nervousness at the time, otherwise, the event would have faded into oblivion just like any other shopping trip. I was wearing a home-made skirt doing odd jobs at home when I needed something in a hurry from a DIY shop. I went there as I was, found the equipment, waited some time for some extra information, queued, paid and left. There was absolutely nothing memorable about all this except, for me, my skirt. Lots of people must have noticed it and thought how odd, but I'm sure they all forgot what they saw within minutes of leaving the shop, because it did not affect their lives in any way. For me, however, it was the first step on the way to freedom.

Martin
Cheers Martin!
I may wear trousers out today as its a bit cold, but wearing a skirt indoors and when I go for a smoke......
IMAG0320.jpg
That's what I wore last night :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
floatingmetal

Post by floatingmetal »

Tackleberry wrote: That's what I wore last night :wink:
Looks like a good casual outfit. I've been to my local Tesco several times in skirts of varying lengths, minis included (see http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 69&t=11178 )and had few comments or looks, certainly nothing negative out loud within my hearing! Most people are too interested in their shopping or, in the case of most males, getting out again as soon as possible!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Tackleberry, that sounds just like I felt the first time. The first time is the hardest; don't give up now!

Shops are a good place to start skirting, imho. You pass by lots of people, who are all more bothered about their own shopping lists than what anybody else is wearing. The staff are under orders not to diss the customers - the shareholders don't care who the shop takes money from, so long as they take it.

Good choice of casual outfit for this time of year. Skirt looks quite narrow - do you find it restricts your stride at all? My long skirts are all pretty flared so that I can walk "like a man". (As the song says!) I had a narrow denim one, but it had to go!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Tackleberry. I think everybody's first time is the worst. You think everybody is staring and saying "OMG!!!" but you will find that almost everybody is too interested in their own lives to bother/care about a bloke in a skirt.

My own first time was an a Motorway service station when I wore a denim mini-skirt (it was early summer) and the weather was pleasantly warm. I needed petrol and was already wearing the skirt in the car so I stopped to refuel. This was a place I would not normally stop so was a good one-off place to start.

Anyway, being self-conscious, I kept looking around for the inevitable pointing/laughing etc but it didn't happen. I am sure a few people noticed with a quick look down whilst I was waiting in the queue to pay. There were also two policemen having a coffee at the counter about 3 yards away so they must have noticed.

Got back to the car - still alive! - and thinking over it as I drove on, "Well that was a non-event - it was only my heart that was racing" and vowed to do it again.

So I did at the same service station on the way home (ie opposite carriageway) and bought a coffee and choc biscuit. Again no more that a quick double-take look from one person though there were over a dozen there, the rest simply getting on with their food, chat, telephone calls and oblivious of the "strange sight"

So don't back down now. If you try one again, the nervousness will become less and that's when you get noticed less as you become more confident!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Tackleberry,
Good job! I have to coax myself step by step the first time out. Just keep doing it, it gets easier every time.

Yesterday, I wore a full-length, A-shaped brown cord skirt with a light blue shirt, bow-tie and sport jacket to church, then out to a restaurant afterward. I talked with a few people (particularly those I knew a church) and they wondered if it was a "warmer" version of a kilt... Egad, a kilt?

Bottom line is most people have no experience with men wearing unbifurcated garments, we are the ones forging the way.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

skirtyscot wrote:Good choice of casual outfit for this time of year. Skirt looks quite narrow - do you find it restricts your stride at all? My long skirts are all pretty flared so that I can walk "like a man". (As the song says!) I had a narrow denim one, but it had to go!
No, the skirt isn't that narrow and didn't restrict my stride, quite comfy actually!
I haven't given up - if you look at my post yesterday I went out in a black knee length pleated skirt with 200 denier tights!!
I also went out tonight to get my tea :lol: