Swim trousers (aka pants)

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Swim trousers (aka pants)

Post by Jack Williams »

I find I much prefer something more than small, or no swimming togs for bodysurfing. Really like the thinner dresses, not the somewhat heavier ones I have though. I guess it's just a quirk of mine though. The surfies always have those big shorts and t-shirts like the Rip-Curl ones that I like, but not for swimming though, for me anyway.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The Baltic is a tideless shallow body of less saline water East of Denmark, with no Gulf Stream influence other than airflow. By Early September it has had the Summer Sun on it for a few months and is usually considerably warmer than the North Sea or the Atlantic at similar latitudes, Gulfstream or no.

Water levels at local ports are determined by wind direction & speed. At Heiligenhaven on the N. German coast for example, the level varied by as much as 3 feet due to a strong Westerly wind while we were there, which 'blew' the water East towards Latvia &c, dropping the levels all along the German coast for a few days. It behaves like water on a shallow tray.
By the same token the coastal towns do have storm barriers to protect them from surges due to strong Easterlies in Winter.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

The most comical sight when clothing is optional, is the guy who has been wearing baggy shorts up to now and is brown all over except his shining white thighs and buttocks -- stands out a mile away! Saw one yesterday; made me realize just how much we change colour in the sun.

Martin
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

couyalair wrote:The most comical sight when clothing is optional, is the guy who has been wearing baggy shorts up to now and is brown all over except his shining white thighs and buttocks -- stands out a mile away!
Us naturists call those with white buns "cottontails". But we don't consider them comical, just a newcomer to naturism...
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I used to always over-all tan, but the ozone hole down here now makes it too dangerous these days unfortunately. I have had to have a couple of "things" surgically removed recently from an arm and my back. So I now cover up, beach or no. Good excuse for my dress swimming pencant though! Once I used to go in clothed and strip off on the beach, which amused my friends.
Those heavy cargo pants they go in in are heavier than the lighter dresses I have. In fact I reckon they'd scoup up a lot of water and drag you out, unlike a skirted garment worn naked.
Just found this photo on the other machine..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jack Williams on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Wow what a beach! That looks like brilliant fun.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Looks like fun, but I bet you end up with sand everywhere!

Do you reckon the dress helps by acting as a surfboard?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

At last I've seen and understood what you meant by bodysurf.

I could not see that the dress gave you any advantage though -- it did not even protect you from the sun all the time!

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I must say that looks like good fun. But, aren't the "landings" a wee bit on the scratchy side?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

The dress maybe does help, but just adds to the fun really. The tide was right in, so the sand at the edge was soft.
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

This is a fun post - lots going on. I especially like 'marble bags' for Speedos. Incidentally I rate Speedos very highly - I still have my pair from the 1980s that look rather like ladies' lingerie! Black and silky. My gf at university use to laugh in my room when she saw them and wear them on her head pouting etc! Perhaps we should all lighten up a bit and have a laugh like this? (The Speedos I still wear under a lined skirt to get some 'slide' as I move around.)
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am not a strong swimmer so long flappy shorts would probably drown me.
The last time I went to the beach, about 1000 kms from home, I wore speedos with a micro skirt over them and a tight fitting T-shirt for sun protection. The skirt floated around a bit in the water but was very short, although long enough to obscure any hint of smuggling budgies when I was on the beach.
In Queensland it is a good idea to wear pantyhose to prevent getting stung by jellyfish; a micro skirt over the top would be quite appropriate in that case.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I just wish the waters around here were warmer! at least the jellyfish here only sting, nothing fatal as far as I know. No sharks other than the occasional basking shark, and mackerel only nibble bits apparently!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I hate swimming in board shorts, as they are usually called. When I immigrated to Canada, I was surprised that Speedos were not common in swimming pools, and I was getting some looks, so I bought a pair of swim shorts, though they were briefer than most. That didn't last, I found myself not going to the pool because of my dislike, so I switched back to Speedos, they stop staring after a while. I did on one occasion buy a bikini bottom when I couldn't find a useable speedo, worked OK, and looked like my regular style, albeit a nicer colour. I saw something on YouTube once where a girl asked a young French or Spanish dude who was sunbathing, why he was wearing bikini bottoms, he was wearing Speedos, she genuinely didn't know! When I left England, men and boys would usually wear Speedos, but it has become another American import, and baggy shorts rule. :?

In France, I have read, baggy shorts are banned at the pool, as I understand they fear it risks contamination of the water, the argument is that clothing that would normally be worn outside can bring in dirt, sand etc. Recently, I have participated in an online question of whether guys wear underwear with their swimwear! Apparently some do, and they consider the shorts with a mesh liner for surfing and sailing only, and "swimming" long shorts shouldn't have a liner, and the underwear is to avoid them clinging to your outline when you get out of the pool. :shock: The logic escapes me.

I'm not sure how much is Puritanism, how much is body shyness, and how much is embarrassment over "size" but I wish this trend would end. I feel it gives some context to guys not having the nerve to wear skirts.

Edit: If Sun exposure is a concern, stretch fit t shirts are available made out of swim material, that offers UV protection, look under "rash guards" I assume they offer some protection against stings as well, and you can buy knee length Speedos called "jammers" there are even mens one piece racing swimsuits, it is believed the material has less drag in the water. While we're on the subject, you can buy Moslem swimwear for ladies, that are basically a hijab in lighter material.