Hot Topics/new posts

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Hemitom

Hot Topics/new posts

Post by Hemitom »

Why not incorporate a place to see new posts. so we don't have to search to see if there was any responses to post already made. just make it a little more user friendly... just a thought...
klaatu

Re: Hot Topics/new posts

Post by klaatu »

There is a link at the top of the board index that says "view new posts" :)
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

klaatu wrote:There is a link at the top of the board index that says "view new posts" :)
But, eved using that, you still have to scroll down and search, which I find irritating. It's not enough to go to the bottom of the page, you have to check above ion case there are several new replies on a thread.

Years ago, I joined some mailing lists, and still find this by far the most convenient way of taking part in discussions. I can't understand why these forums have taken over -- except of course that it's easier for advertizers to put their rubbish on forum pages.

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

couyalair wrote:But, eved using [View New Posts], you still have to scroll down and search, which I find irritating. It's not enough to go to the bottom of the page, you have to check above ion case there are several new replies on a thread.
Just to the left of the thread title, if there are unread posts therein, will be a small coloured icon that if selected takes one to the first unread post in the thread.
Years ago, I joined some mailing lists, and still find this by far the most convenient way of taking part in discussions. I can't understand why these forums have taken over -- except of course that it's easier for advertizers to put their rubbish on forum pages.
Yes, e-mail lists can be a very convenient way of communicating, but they don't tend to thread very well and with e-mail itself becoming almost unusable because of spam -- and all the filtering that has to go on to keep anything like a clear channel -- lists tend to be a dying breed mainly kept alive by old-school types {waves hand} who don't much like change. Forums are convenient for advertisers, but have you noticed anything overt here? You haven't -- at least without it getting deleted in quick order if it isn't relevant to the forum's mission.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

crfriend wrote: Just to the left of the thread title ...will be a small coloured icon
Thank you, Carl. He icon is so tiny, I'd not even noticed it before, but it works!
crfriend wrote: Yes, e-mail lists ... tend to be a dying breed mainly kept alive by old-school types {waves hand} who don't much like change.
Like minds? ;-) waving back.

Yes, as I wrote, I realized that my comments about advertizers were inappropriate here; we are indeed spared that plague on Skirtcafé.

Martin