Stylist in a dress

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
Dale

Re: Stylist in a dress

Post by Dale »

i was carrying a purse for a few months before I started wearing a skirt. I have back / hip / pelvic issues, and having empty pockets help alleviate some of the pain. I actually quit carrying it when I started wearing a skirt. Wearing a skirt has all but eliminated this pain, but now I feel self conscious about carrying my purse (bag). I am somewhat fearful that the combination of skirt and purse makes for the image of a cross dresser, and at the same time I need the bag. Frankly I am confused and indecisive about it.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Have you given some thought to wearing a fanny (bum) bag ?
These waist belted bags can be worn in the back over the bum
as they are named or in front like most folks do. Another
option is wearing it off the hip right or left your preference.
Think of these bags as a poor mans sporran that is a great
deal more functional with several compartment for the odds
and ends i.e cell phone; eye glasses; pocket knife; etc. with
still room for a small wallet for cash; credit cards and emergency
medical ID.
For another option a money belt with just enough room for
the bare essentials.

And for the amusement of crfriend my post of 10 Jun 2009:
Just make sure you are not drinking coffee over your keyboard !
Just like you would pack heat (firearm) in a concealed shoulder holster there are custom wallets/man purses
designed to carry more civilized needs hidden.
While not commercially available you could adapt the same for carrying in a thigh holster application
hidden under the kilt. For obvious reasons an ankle holster is just not going to cut it! No concealment
factor there. The detraction of the under kilt application is "Oh my God he is going for the Big Gun"
as the hem/apron is lifted to get the basic monetary or other needs!
"KILT-ON"
rm

Also reference "Man Bags" - Author Trainman - date 27 Aug 2007
"Purse of Man's Bags" - Author Smaug777 - date 13 Jul 2009
"Men Carrying Purses" - Author JRMiller - date 4 Apr 2008
"Pockets, or Lack Thereof" - Author nicothoe - date 21 Jul 2011

There are options and then there are options-less !

"Kilted-Holidays"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Dale

Post by Dale »

I used to use a fanny (bum) pack. Wearing it like it should be worn aggravates my hip injury and causes me considerable pain after a while. I end up carrying it slung over my shoulder. Sometimes I don't get it properly closed, and end up having to pick everything up (repeatedly), that is why I switched to a purse in the first place. When slung from the shoulder it opens from the top. I appreciate the suggestion anyway. I have not tried a sporran yet, but soon I plan on getting a few kilts in my clan tartan, and I will probably try a sporran at that time. Hopefully it will not have the same effect as a bum pack.

Dale
Last edited by Dale on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Personally I think Jujiin Samonte could have left out the stuff in his hair, the white trim in the chest area and the glove on his right hand. Those things tend to look cluttered even on a woman. If he left those items off, and he found his appearance too plain, he would have looked better with more makeup and earrings. Also that outfit as shown would be a bit much even for a woman in everyday life.

Even if a man gets dolled up he can still walk, act, and talk like a man. I have no problems with a man getting dolled up as long as he does not try to pass as a woman in the way he presents himself.

I really don't care if something looks masculine or feminine on a man. All it has to be is for it to look good. We really have got to get over the idea of the narrow options than men have.

John
Dale

Post by Dale »

JohnH wrote:Personally I think Jujiin Samonte could have left out the stuff in his hair, the white trim in the chest area and the glove on his right hand. Those things tend to look cluttered even on a woman. If he left those items off, and he found his appearance too plain, he would have looked better with more makeup and earrings. Also that outfit as shown would be a bit much even for a woman in everyday life.

Even if a man gets dolled up he can still walk, act, and talk like a man. I have no problems with a man getting dolled up as long as he does not try to pass as a woman in the way he presents himself.

I really don't care if something looks masculine or feminine on a man. All it has to be is for it to look good. We really have got to get over the idea of the narrow options than men have.

John
I quite well agree with you. All in all though, I think he does look good in that outfit. I would not wear it mind you, not my style.

Dale
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Dale wrote:
JohnH wrote:Personally I think Jujiin Samonte could have left out the stuff in his hair, the white trim in the chest area and the glove on his right hand. Those things tend to look cluttered even on a woman. If he left those items off, and he found his appearance too plain, he would have looked better with more makeup and earrings. Also that outfit as shown would be a bit much even for a woman in everyday life.

John
I quite well agree with you. All in all though, I think he does look good in that outfit. I would not wear it mind you, not my style.

Dale
I happen to agree with you. I would not wear that outfit ether. Sometimes I wear a dress with tights, heels, and light makeup, and carry a purse. I don't do earrings though, and I absolutely have no use for wigs or breast forms. I also don't try to pass as a woman, particularly with my deep speaking and singing voice (basso profundo).

John
Dale

Post by Dale »

John,

When I try to picture the guy with the items left off that you specified, I think the outfit would look real good (on him anyway). If I found a dress I thought I would look good in, I mighty give it a shot (undecided). At this time I just don't know. I have not been wearing skirts for all that long and it still takes a little getting used to. I don't think I am ready to actually wear a dress, but I do kind of like that guys outfit if the Items you mentioned were eliminated. I think I would wear normal mans shoes, and I am undecided about the tights. Hard to say what the future has in store right now. I am still adjusting. On the other hand I wear a skirt anywhere and everywhere I go.

Dale
Dale

Post by Dale »

Hey john,

You might want to take another look at the stylist's picture. I think that is a handbag, and NOT a single glove on the right hand.

Dale
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Dale, you are right. The model is holding a handbag.

I have tried men's shoes with dresses and tights, but they are too heavy in appearance. I also like something of a heel as well.

Remember - outdoorsmen, football players, and construction workers all wear pantyhose at times to keep themselves warm. So tights (pantyhose) are not exclusively something for women.

John
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

When all is said and done I reckon S-V should have the guts to show us a photo..
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jack Williams wrote:When all is said and done I reckon S-V should have the guts to show us a photo..
I'll put three zeroes immediately following the decimal-point as the highest probability thereof. YMMV.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

crfriend wrote:I'll put three zeroes immediately following the decimal-point as the highest probability thereof.
Is there a percent sign following that number?

As for the original photo, modulo the white shoulder pieces and the hair pieces which I doubt I would care for on anyone, I think it looks quite fine. Probably not something I would care to wear, though.

Tor
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

N0HEQ wrote:How about a much more masculine looking yet stylish denim shirt dress? There are many dresses for those of us who are manly men with no desire whatsoever for a sex change. I have three African themed safari dresses with several deep pockets. Might not even look too bad with a tool belt. :)
Please biff up a photo, with tool belt.
henri

Stylist in a dress - Dress or Skirt?

Post by henri »

A plain skirt is more masculine, but think of Eddie Izzard in his early days. OK he's gay, often made up, but you accept him as he is. And then there was Boy George, etc.,etc. If this is their scene, but not yours so you go your way ......
I would not go out in anything but a plain skirt and stockings, but I do have two very plain dresses in a sort of army green which I wear at home. Perhaps when I'm feeling bold and can get a bit more organised and find them I may wear them out. But I think I prefer what in women's parlance is 'separates'. Plain and simple and no one here in North London bats an eyelid.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Of course when the weather turns that bit colder you could always wear a dress with a jumper ( cardigan, sweater, pullover, whatever you want to call it ) over it. You aren't then so obviously wearing a dress. I've thought of doing this when winter comes ( around the house of course ).
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.