Viva Versace–Clad in H&M’s latest collaboration

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Viva Versace–Clad in H&M’s latest collaboration

Post by SkirtRevolution »

I think this is potentially great news for men’s skirts and unisex styles. Versace seems to be bringing out their collection in H&Ms stores at surprising low prices. While some of the skirts and dresses are part of the women’s section in Versace I have included some pictures where the men and women are wearing the same clothing. When looking at the pictures the clothing seems to be completely unisex and can be worn in both the masculine and the feminine (I am not sure if this was Versace’s intention, but looks like the stylist and photographers are promoting it this way). I think this collection could be a good example that clothing is not gender related and further promote the cause for men in skirts. Whether these pictures are from Versace they are certainly getting attention on the web as part of Versace’s campaign
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Viva Versace–Clad in H&M’s latest collaboration

Post by Kirbstone »

That's certainly very interesting. The bold patterns and matching tights/leggings take one's attention away from the fact that the boys are wearing skirts too, just like the girls.
Alas, the whole is aimed at the young bloods, who are the future, of course, and old lags like me would never be tempted to wear garish colours like those.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Kirbstone wrote:...old lags like me would never be tempted to wear garish colours like those.
You are not alone, Tom.
I'm further put off by the ridiculous postures the models adopt. Could they not at least try to look like normal people?

Martin
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

These garments are presently displayed on the H&M website, but the skirts are only shown on the women's page - and they are sized in women's dress sizes.

H&M sometimes dips a toe in the realm of MUGS, but then withdraws rapidly when it comes to actually stocking them. I suspect it chickens out for fear of getting stuck with lots of unsold garments that it won't ever shift.

Shame, really.

Stu
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Stu:

H&M could market them as unisex skirts and have a female to male size conversion chart.

But as you say I guess they just 'Chicken out'.

"No-Chickens-In-Skirts-Here"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

Sorry but I firmly believe that shoots like these are doing us no favours at all.
Would any man who does not wear a skirt already want to dress like that...I think not.
We need practical garments, not fashion jokes if we really want to promote the cause, and we don't need to be hiding behind a beautiful female model either but seen standing alone as men, proud of what we wear.

No that I feel strongly about it or anything :roll:
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Well said, Tassierob.

I too get annoyed by the way models look in ads or on the catwalk.
Women may (possibly?) fall for the advertizing, but men certainly won't adopt skirts if they look so weird in the ads.
Male models seem to slouch along with sullen expressions, as if they are ashamed of the garments they are modeling. Just the opposite of the advice we get here : "Look self-confident, whatever you ant to wear."
Men are more likely to go for ads showing men in everyday work or sport situations, in my opinion; even in the dull old colours that men usually wear, but certainly not with patterns more suitable for curtains.
Hawaiian shirts seem to be the one exception to this ... not that I ever see another man wearing one where I live.

Martin
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Yeah - H&M are all mouth and no trousers skirts when it comes to men's fashions!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

An ad for H&M in the local paper (Malaga) showed a weirdly painted person in the green outfit shown in pics above. Could not tell whether man or woman, but the text did not seem to be aiming at selling to men.

Skirts on men are for fashion shows; trousers are for real life, apparently. I very much doubt we'll see any skirts in H&M's men's dept.

Martin