Josefin Strid Breaks Gender Barriers

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Josefin Strid Breaks Gender Barriers

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Another recent fashion show where a new up and coming designer is pushing the gender boundaries by making unisexed dresses for men and women. While I am not big on any androgynous looks I really like the designers quotes. I am exited when I see mens fashion changing to embrace skirts and dresses, even if the designs are not what I would usually wear personally.

http://ecosalon.com/josefin-strid-141/

Quotes from Josefin,

“A man wearing a skirt is pure beauty, at least if you ask me. We often talk about the kilt, as the skirt for men and Marc Jacobs made the garment popular a few years ago,”

“I think a lot about genus, gender, values, our history, men today and future men. To be innovative doing womenswear is not easy. It’s hard to provoke or to start a debate — womenswear has had a revolution. I am more dedicated to develop the small things: techniques, fit, finish etc. Menswear is just about to start a revolution.”

“I am very interested in bringing feminine influences while doing menswear, that’s my challenge,” says Strid. “As soon as you work with feminine elements in menswear I consider the importance of details such as proportions, stitching, function and silhouette. We don’t want to erase the trace of a man. Just like the fit is of importance when dressing a woman in a man’s garment. We need to be aware of the obvious difference how to work with fit when it comes to the two genders.”

The author said "Is it time we give the guys a break and encourage the next man we see sporting a skirt on the street? "
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Josefin Strid Breaks Gender Barriers

If you go to her online store she has a range of men's skirts that are available to buy online. Is there some way we can send an email to her to encourage her to continue to design mens skirts.

http://shop.josefinstrid.com/aw2011/mens-wear/skirts/

Here are some example below. I know we often talk about why should men wear skirts over pants but in my opinion it all goes toward breaking down the prejudice and is a win win for us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I find myself conflicted over the looks presented in the first post -- despite the wonderful quotes, the images of what went down the runway I find almost universally horrid. If one wants to wear a skirt -- wear a skirt! If one wants to wear trousers -- wear trousers! Either, by themselves, work very well; both put together, in this writer's mind, just look stupid. Or is that "st00pid"? And what's with the clydesdale treatment over the feet?

Now, the first image from the second post hereon definitely shows promise, and I may well look into what the features of the garment are to see if it might actually be a workable piece (I'd like it a couple of inches longer, but that's just me). The second one... Well... St00pid.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I hope those prices aren't in Euros! Even in Swedish Kroner they're out of my price range. 3500SKR = £300 or so.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

The way prices are written, with a colon, they should be in SKR.

Greg
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Josefin Strid has recently told me that we can expect more skirts for men in her upcoming collections.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

SkirtRevolution:

"Nice"

*"BUT"*

Photo two
When will they learn to sans the pants !
Skirts and Pants are incompatible unless you are a school girl in a northern hemisphere school in
the dead mid of winter with Windchill factors below -30 F and have to walk a mile to that school.

In another post Uncle Al had it right !

"Get a rope" !

Even at that some progress is being made albeit bad concepts excluded pants under skirts.
You do not see pants worn under kilts (or maybe anything else for that matter LOL) !

"Kilted-Another-Day"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

r.m.anderson wrote:SkirtRevolution:

"Nice"

*"BUT"*

Photo two
Skirts and Pants are incompatible unless you are a school girl in a northern hemisphere school in
the dead mid of winter with Windchill factors below -30 F and have to walk a mile to that school.

"Get a rope" !

Even at that some progress is being made albeit bad concepts excluded pants under skirts.
You do not see pants worn under kilts (or maybe anything else for that matter LOL) !

"Kilted-Another-Day"
rma
I also agree that skirts over pants serve no purpose at all, but at the same time I think it is more about being a "transitional stage" into full skirt wearing. If guys can be encouraged to wear skirts over pants for fashionable reasons then it will do away with the idea that skirts are exclusively for women and men will embrace skirts without pants without any problem. It will also encourage all the men who wear kilts only at highland games and fairs etc to start wearing them casually whenever and whenever they like, with will help other men lose the pants and wear the skirts with as they are intended. I think we just need to see it as an evolutional process that we need to go through and encourage all kind of skirt wearing. For many of us we encourage skirts from the angle of comfort, but many fashion designers are promoting the angle of style (and the pants and skirt look is in style today for both men and women). Together, we will make a difference and will see men’s skirt become popular.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

In this part of the world women habitually wear long pants under skirts or dresses, and then just the skirt, dress or tight pants, as the weather improves.
So methinks the blokes can easily go the the same way.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I like to looks they are showing, I can take of leave the Skirt and Pants looks.
If skirts over pants are what it takes to get the general public to join in wearing skirts than I'm OK with that.

Nothing says the skirt wearing veterans have to wear the pants.. :D
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

SkirtRevolution wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote:SkirtRevolution:

"Nice"

*"BUT"*

Photo two

"Get a rope" !

"Kilted-Another-Day"
rma
I also agree that skirts over pants serve no purpose at all, but at the same time I think it is more about being a "transitional stage" into full skirt wearing. If guys can be encouraged to wear skirts over pants for fashionable reasons then it will do away with the idea that skirts are exclusively for women and men will embrace skirts without pants without any problem. It will also encourage all the men who wear kilts only at highland games and fairs etc to start wearing them casually whenever and whenever they like, with will help other men lose the pants and wear the skirts with as they are intended. I think we just need to see it as an evolutional process that we need to go through and encourage all kind of skirt wearing.
A transitional stage may last a long time; perhaps for skirting this may last into the 22 nd century. Or what if we simply get stuck in the transitional stage? Perhaps men (except the kilted) will go only as far as skorts and go no further. So you end up with a skirt like appearance but you still have the two tubes.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Look, guys. Fashion knows no bounds, and we, of all groups, should applaud that rather than sitting in pious judgement. The wider that world expands, the better for us all. I liked the dresses, regardless of what girded the models' legs. Lighten up, please.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...