UtilityKilt Vs AmeriKilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

UtilityKilt Vs AmeriKilt

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Currently there are a lot of Modern Kilt designs that are on the market, which for us a great thing, as it is breaking down the stigma about guys in skirts. I have been looking around and narrowed my search to these two companies - Utilitykilt and Amerikilt. Does anyone have any advice on what is the best kilt to buy? Personally I like the design from Amerikilt as it is more traditional and half the price of UtilityKilt. Can anyone tell me their experiences with these kilts to help me decide on what to buy.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Re: UtilityKilt Vs AmeriKilt

Post by JRMILLER »

I own 2 UK and 1 Amerikilt. The overall construction of the UK seems just a tad better than the AK. However, the construction of the AK is good.. The one thing I didn't like is the bottom hem, it's just a raw edge surged off (overcast with a lot of thread)... Usually, hem's are folded, ironed over, then sewn. I like the fabric of the AK better than the UK, it's lighter and more breathable. The UK has pockets, the AK comes with a fabric sporran instead of pockets.. I prefer pockets... The UK is less forgiving on waist size, it either fits or it doesn't. There is no way to adjust it. The AK has snaps below, but the waist has a little bit of velcro and allows for some adjustment...

Neither is perfect, but they are both very good. I like them both and will hang on to them...
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I don’t know whether you have already solved your problem and ordered one of the two makes.
Like JRMiller I prefer the AM design over the UK one. However, when I have worn one of my Amerikilts (I have two) for just an hour they really need an ironing. That is not the case with my Utilikilts. Well, I got my AKs eight years ago and things might have changed to the better.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
CharlesF

Post by CharlesF »

Hello,

I have owned two Utilikilts over the years. I can speak to the high quality of their construction, and the excellent service provided by the fine team at Utilikilts. Alas, the garments never looked as good on my misshapen frame as the did on the handsome fellows on the website. This, however, is not a criticism of the product, but of my poor exercise and dietary regime over the years. I sold my two Utilikilts a few years back.

I too have followed Amerikilts with interest, and understand the owner to provide good service. I've long hankered after purchasing one and look forward to hearing reports.

Charles.
Zappinjack

Post by Zappinjack »

I have tried on a Utilikilt. I didn't like the way it fit me. I have 8 different Amerikilts and a dozen tartan kilts. I have 3 favorites in the Amerililts, they are not the normal cotton material that Michael uses. These are made from Polyester and don't require any ironing or steaming. They also wear like iron. I wear them for work every day and I get about 2 weeks of wear between washings. They are easy to wash and are very forgiving. Unfortunately I cannot get Michael to make more.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Zappinjack, you have 8 Amerikilts, three of them don't need ironing, you say. But they are no longer available. Shall I understand it so that the other five are crumpeling like mine and need ironing all the time?

Gerd
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Zappinjack

Post by Zappinjack »

Gerd

You are correct. The Cotton Kilts are fine, but require constant ironing or steaming. The Synthetic Kilts are wash and wear. Just hang dry or even in the dryer. Sit on it for hours and it looks great. If you want them in Synthetic just annoy Michael a bit. He has finally said he will ask his supplier of fabric to find him more material.

Ken
StumpTown Kilts

Post by StumpTown Kilts »

Have you looked in StumpTown Kilts? High quality, low maintenance, poly cotton blend (same blend as Dickies pants) Made in the Pacific NW. I am pushing STK because I am one of the owners, and also a UK wearer for 10 years. We designed our kilt with almost every other kilt in mind. Check us out and say hello. Cheers.
Cyd
StumpTown Kilts
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

StumpTown Kilts wrote:Have you looked in StumpTown Kilts? High quality, low maintenance, poly cotton blend (same blend as Dickies pants) Made in the Pacific NW. I am pushing STK because I am one of the owners, and also a UK wearer for 10 years. We designed our kilt with almost every other kilt in mind. Check us out and say hello. Cheers.
Cyd
StumpTown Kilts
Hi StumpTown Kilts, I am the administrator for both the facebook sites Men’s Skirts & Kilt Revival. When I started this post I didn’t know about STK but must say I really love these designs. Great to have you on skirtcafe and keep up the great work. I often add pictures of your products on both of my sites. I look forward to the day that kilts are as common as pants (better yet replace them all together LOL)