Software update coming

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Software update coming

Post by crfriend »

Here we go again. The phpBB folks have released version 3.0.9 and we're on 3.0.8, and I don't want to wait as long to update as I did last time (when we went from 2.0.{mumble} to 3.0.8. I haven't nailled the absolute date for this down yet, but figured I'd give advance warning anyway.

Like last time, I'm going to prototype it here in my containment lab, and if it works well I will then set a real date and update SkirtCafe proper.

You have been warned. :twisted:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Software update coming

Post by Big and Bashful »

Ah, new technology, Enjoy grappling with it!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:Ah, new technology, Enjoy grappling with it!
Yes, it's one of the perils of the modern age. However, it should be done sooner or later, and the latest release (as opposed to "escape") has been out for a while so most of the bugs have, hopefully, been flogged from it.

In any event, my testing here in my secure containment lab was successful so I will be doing the upgrade soon.

Formal notice: SkirtCafe will be offline for a few minutes at, or around, 12:00 UTC as the upgrade is performed. There may be some little "gotchas" in the mix, and I'd like to hear from folks if there is. I was not able to find any from my testing here.

There should be no discernable change in the user interface.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Update complete :!:

Total disruption time to the forum was less than four minutes and everything went according to plan and how the rehearsal went. We're now at phpBB 3.0.9 and hopefully won't have to do this again for a while.

If something breaks, either drop me a PM or, if it's seriously busted, at the e-maill address below the masthead.

Cheers!
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

Brilliant stuff, Carl. Thanks, once again, for devoting considerable amounts of your unpaid hours to keeping us afloat.