Fall 2011 and Spring 2012

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Fall 2011 and Spring 2012

Post by phathack »

Well it looks like the big name designers will have skirts in their men's collections this fall and next spring.

The question is will main street adopt this fashion trend?

Will we be seeing skirts in men's departments in main street ready to wear stores, like Dillard's, Macy's or even Target.

I'm sure everyone on these boards are ready for the trend to start.
RichardN

Re: Fall 2011 and Spring 2012

Post by RichardN »

Givenchy's look good! See http://www.style.com/fashionshows/revie ... N-GIVENCHY and click "view full screen".

Richard
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Very nice indeed, bright colours, skirts, and NO BLACK !!!
Not that I could actually see myself in these overpowering hawaiian prints, but I like the cheerfulness of it all.

Martin
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I liked the dark green skirt/kilt. I added the word 'kilt' due all the men's skirts
were pleated in the back with a non-pleated front 'apron'. Could not see any
side buckles but did notice many had belts. Didn't see any pockets though.

Just my $.02 worth :)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

"Men in skirts? Get used to them. It's warriorwear from years back." Love this comment by this designer. The surfy look with the skirt looks great, manly and even today wouldn't raise to many eyebrows.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

What in heaven's name was growing out of the ears of several of the models? Now I wear nice sedate stud earrings, but these things looked like something from Star Trek. :?
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

While not all the outfits were to my taste, I think that most of them would or could be worn by men in public.

I was impressed with the bright colors and use of white in the skirted garments. The clothes shouted "Hey, I'm here - look at me!" and didn't give the impression that they were trying to hide and not be seen.

Great show - thank's for posting the link.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Interestingly, Givenchi also has skorts for men, sometimes worn with tights, in their spring/summer collection 2011. You can see these on the Givenchi website (http://www.givenchy.com/).

The problem seems to be that, while they are very radical and courageous when it comes to the catwalk, how often do we see these kinds of garments materialising in our High Street shops and malls?

Stu
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote:The problem seems to be that, while they are very radical and courageous when it comes to the catwalk, how often do we see these kinds of garments materialising in our High Street shops and malls?
I remain fairly firmly convinced that "designers" put such things on the catwalks purely to show how "out there" they (the "designers") are and have precisely no intention of ever trying to actually market the creations.

From this bloke's perspective, "skorts" are a dodge. If you want to do away with the inseam, then just do so; if you want the inseam, then we have trousers and shorts. Done.

As far as tights go in the summer -- especially the heavy opaques -- that's likely going to be a non-starter. Tights are great -- and I mean great -- in the winter months and when there's a nip in the air, but once the mercury gets into the upper 20s or lower 30s (Celsius, both) start to get really uncomfortable. From a personal perspective, I wear opaques a lot in the winter, migrate to sheers in early springtime, thence to knee-highs, and finally to bare legs in the dog days of summer -- and reverse the trend as things cool down. That's not to say I never wear tights in the summer, because if I put an outfit together that just seems to demand the use of the garments I will don them, but will actively seek air-conditioning whilst so attired.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
RichardN

Post by RichardN »

Take a look at Rick Owens and let the video roll: http://www.rickowens.eu/

Richard
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Rick had some interesting fashion. It was a bit difficult to see any detail on my computer, but I did like the "appearance" of guys just out and about in skirted garments.