Database/Inactive User purge coming

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Database/Inactive User purge coming

Post by Since1982 »

Well Carl, if it's not as bad as I surmise, that's great, I still bow to your expertise and time spent taking care of it. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!! :thewave:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

I very rarely post but am still about, although I hope things improve at home. Tryng to make the move from black kilt to
Pencil skirt and convince the family it's just clothes, I'm still me :)

It's good seeing designers making skirts for men, albeit at the catwalk stage :wink:

www.newmalefashion.blogspot.com has good examples of how the tide is (slowly) turning :mrgreen:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The deed is done.

The astute will notice that we went from 857 users to 730. That's not a big difference, I'll grant, but it did free up some space in the username sphere and brought the real size of our community into somewhat greater (or is that "lesser") perspective. We remain tiny; however, if each of us who is active here represents even 100 men in the real world I'll be happy, and if our presence here can encourage even one more guy to try on something other than trousers I think it'll have been worthwhile.

Sometimes it's tough being on the bleeding edge.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I would not like to appear a pessimist, but of those 730 users (and I'm sure I have not seen a tenth of that number writing here), how many are unbifurcated? and how many are just voyeurs? or simply curious?

Is there any breakdown regarding country of residence, by chance?

Martin
zizkov

Post by zizkov »

I am also intrigued by this as I seem to meet the same and, alas, limited list of posters
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

zizkov wrote:I am also intrigued by this as I seem to meet the same and, alas, limited list of posters
First and foremost, I think it's important to recall that this is a very small community, and it's small for a couple of reasons, not least of which are that we have a "fashion sense" that is markedly different from most "western norms" and that we do not hide that fact from those around us. So, it should come as no big surprise that the list of "usual suspect" looks rather familiar; the point, however, is to advocate for the "skirted option" whenever and wherever possible and that's one thing that the Internet shines at.

As far as a breakdown of where the deleted accounts were registered from, and other potentially interesting bits of "data-mining" the system go, I'll see what I can do. I'm in the process of reverting the local copy of the database I have here on my equipment at home (I do all the prototyping here first so I won't mangle the production instance) to put all the expunged accounts back; that'll allow me to dump the list of IP addresses to try and do some "geo-location". I'll also see if I can quantify how many people are really active and how many folks are in "read-only mode". This'll take a while; my gear at home is not blisteringly fast like the hardware at the co-location site where this instance runs.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

couyalair wrote:Is there any breakdown regarding country of residence, by chance?
Yes, there is -- for the registrants who were just purged. Some of the very early ones were registered on the original V-bulletin software that drove Tom's Cafe and which did not record registrants' IP addresses; also, some of the IP addresses did not "reverse-resolve" into an identifiable hostname.

Here's the list, ordered most registrants to least:
  • United States 36
  • United Kingdom 12
  • Australia 4
  • Canada 3
  • Mexico 3
  • Ukraine 3
  • EDU domain 2
  • France 2
  • Italy 2
  • Netherlands 2
  • Denmark 1
  • Germany 1
  • Iceland 1
  • Ireland 1
  • Norway 1
  • Philipines 1
  • Poland 1
  • Singapore 1
  • Taiwan 1
So, it's overwhelmingly Western Europe and North America, pretty much as I had surmised.

Generating a similar list for the community as it stands now will be a non-trivial exercise.