Quiet?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Quiet?

Post by Uncle Al »

Sure is quiet here. :roll:
I've had to pour out 3 pots of coffee and toss out 2 dozen
Danish rolls :!:

Any takers for the Glazed Cinnamon Raisin rolls before they have
to be tossed :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Milfmog

Re: Quiet?

Post by Milfmog »

Uncle Al wrote:Any takers for the Glazed Cinnamon Raisin rolls before they have to be tossed :?:
I wish you hadn't said that Unc; I started at 06:00 today, so no breakfast in the hotel. Now I have ten minutes while a machine is reset and I was doing fine until you mentioned food. :cry:

Oh well, only five hours until lunchtime...

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:[...] I started at 06:00 today [...]
I feel for you Ian; I start five days a week at 06:00 (after a forty minute commute). It takes seemingly forever for the cafeteria to open for lunch at 11:30.

Al, would you please toss one of those cinnamon rolls my way?

Thank goodness I took today off.....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Thanks Carl,

Today is a short day, I will finish at about 17:30 to get to the airport for my flight home. The last few days have started at 06:00 and finished after 21:00 as I covered the shift my colleague would have managed, had he been here.

With any luck I will be home by about 23:30 (just in time to wish Carole a happy anniversary before it isn't our anniversary any more). Reckon I might have a lie in tomorrow, followed by a leisurely breakfast.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Happy anniversary to you and Carole, Ian! May many more follow. Have a safe trip home following your extended stay in the (non-) sun of Malta.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Uncle Al wrote:Sure is quiet here. :roll:
I'm not sure that's such a bad thing.

No brawls? No broken chairs or heads? I'd say that's a Good Thing.

Nobody writing in about being arrested for "wearing women's clothing"? Good Thing.

No new skirts/kilts? Well, since our closets only have so much room, that's arguably a Good Thing, too.

As far as I can tell, folks aren't posting so much mostly because they're getting on with their lives and skirts and/or kilts are a non-issue. Good Thing.

But I still get a hankering for a SkirtCafe fashion show....
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:Happy anniversary to you and Carole, Ian! May many more follow. Have a safe trip home following your extended stay in the (non-) sun of Malta.
Thank you Carl. I did not quite get home on our anniversary but we went out for a meal the next evening and I think I've been forgiven :D

To stay (sort of) on topic, I wore a black kilt with a green jacobite style shirt. One of the bar girls accused me of turning all her female customers heads. I'm not sure that's quite true, but it's nice to be flattered occasionally.

Have fun,

Ian.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:I did not quite get home on our anniversary but we went out for a meal the next evening and I think I've been forgiven :D
Just because Iceland decided to (to crib a Monty Python line) fart in your general direction can hardly be laid to your blame. I suspect your wife is just happy that you're home. As is the dog, too, no doubt.
To stay (sort of) on topic, I wore a black kilt with a green jacobite style shirt. One of the bar girls accused me of turning all her female customers heads. I'm not sure that's quite true, but it's nice to be flattered occasionally.
Indeed. I should look into getting a couple of those shirts; they're wonderful things. And they go really well with skirts!
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Maybe it's time we start a Facebook group. The younger crowd tends to congregate there.
HockeySkirt

Post by HockeySkirt »

Bob wrote:Maybe it's time we start a Facebook group. The younger crowd tends to congregate there.
The reason Facebook is so significant is that interests ("likes" in the argot of Facebook) are shared with all friends and family also on Facebook. Thus interests can become viral far more easily, and garner a lot of attention.

Recent changes go further - these interests are now shown by default on a users public profile (and not just to acknowledged friends).

The issue here is that potential Facebook users, who might want to "like" (become a fan) a SkirtCafe page, will be painfully aware that their interest will become very public immediately. This can be beyond an issue of coming out to friends and family, but it is well reported that some employers routinely attempt to research new hires via Facebook and similar.

Thus, we return to the often visited topic of how SkirtCafe can simultaneously discuss openly and sincerely the wide diversity of routes members have taken into skirt wearing, whilst avoiding giving casual visitors an impression of weirdness.

Young people are full of self consciousness and angst, and most will hesitate to publicly show themselves to be fans of "a bunch of weirdos".

That said, there are always leaders of the pack. Marvericks who like to be different, and can make it cool. Put enough photos of young men, wearing skirts proudly and well, and it might fly. But only if those examples look firmly masculine, and not at all like they really want to be in drag.

HS
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Bob wrote:Maybe it's time we start a Facebook group. The younger crowd tends to congregate there.
I'm not convinced that this will help.

For a man to even consider wearing skirts (or for a woman to accept the idea), (s)he has to have developed enough independence of thinking to overcome the prejudices of the society around him (her). My experience of most on-line fora is that each has its own groupthink, and the people who stay and participate aren't interested in questioning the prevailing ways of thinking in their group. If you're lucky, you get ignored; if you're not, you get chewed up and spit out. (Cf. Lord of the Flies)

Unless we find a community of people (not just a random assortment) who are already receptive to the idea of men in skirts, I suspect that those who think it's intolerably weird will drown us out. It will be like appearing on the Jerry Springer show: people will come to gawk at the weirdos, and the sideshow atmosphere will insure that it won't even occur to them to ask whether they'd like to try it themselves.

I spend a fair amount of time in places where some men wear skirts. If you have an environment where men can trust that they won't suffer for doing it, quite a few men will try it, and some will keep doing it -- in that environment. And not just old geezers: in places like Greenfield, MA, you see lots of young guys in skirts. But only those who are willing to risk being a social outcast will do it (or even talk about it) in less supportive environments. And I don't see most on-line environments as being particularly supportive, except maybe to the local ditto-heads.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Unk said: Any takers for the Glazed Cinnamon Raisin rolls before they have
to be tossed?
Pick out the dehydrated grapes and I'll takem... :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

HockeySkirt wrote: The issue here is that potential Facebook users, who might want to "like" (become a fan) a SkirtCafe page, will be painfully aware that their interest will become very public immediately. This can be beyond an issue of coming out to friends and family, but it is well reported that some employers routinely attempt to research new hires via Facebook and similar.
If you are worried about potential employers researching you online, you should know that this site is regularly crawled by all the major search engines (and one or two that I hadn't heard of before).
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
HockeySkirt wrote: The issue here is that potential Facebook users, who might want to "like" (become a fan) a SkirtCafe page, will be painfully aware that their interest will become very public immediately. This can be beyond an issue of coming out to friends and family, but it is well reported that some employers routinely attempt to research new hires via Facebook and similar.
If you are worried about potential employers researching you online, you should know that this site is regularly crawled by all the major search engines (and one or two that I hadn't heard of before).
True, but...
Members here can if they wish use an on-line identity unique to this site (or this and a few others) that would be very hard for anyone to chase back to their real-life identity.
On Facebook, people usually use an identity that is easy for friends and relatives to find (the social part of social networking), and so is likely much easier to trace back to the real person.
So unless you've used your real name here or some other very obvious personal identifier, a search by a potential employer isn't likely to turn up this site.

Kris
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kris wrote:Members here can if they wish use an on-line identity unique to this site (or this and a few others) that would be very hard for anyone to chase back to their real-life identity.
That's right. Also, there are areas of the Cafe that are closed to 'bots and random browsers, particularly the "Pics and Looks" forum where I'm sure that folks here would rather not see popping up at random on the World-Wide Web.
On Facebook, people usually use an identity that is easy for friends and relatives to find (the social part of social networking), and so is likely much easier to trace back to the real person.
This is an important differentiator; if one is in the contemplation stage of figuring out whether skirted garments are for them or not, and they'd like to discuss it, it's possible to do so with some level of anonymity that future potential employers (who might think the applicant is "unbalanced") or love interests (who might think the concept too weird for their taste) can't link with the individual involved. I think this is a good thing when it comes to discussion in what, for most parts, is an open forum, and has definite benefits for the participants.