Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
papato14

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by papato14 »

Yesterday I was out running errands in a frilly skirt with small flowers. Not something I get to do very often since my wife is normally with me when I'm out and about. I dropped off a package a UPS, picked up an order at Home Depot (got a lot of stares there but nothing said positive or negative). While looking in the women's department of Walmart an associate asked me if I was looking for anything in particular. I said I was looking for skirts, so she helped me look around. She found a few (some with a top that went with it) but nothing that I liked. Of course at a specialty shop or dress store you'll almost always get help, but that's the first time for it to happen at Walmart. While talking to her I said it would great if they started selling skirts in the men's department so they would put decent pockets in them. She laughed at that. It was great day.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

In a busy week, I almost forgot to post about my experiences last weekend. I was singing in a choir concert Saturday morning. We were told to wear something summery, but I thought given the age group I was singing with, the khaki utility kilt with short socks might not be appropriate, so I opted for the Heritage of Scotland tartan with white hose & black shoes. Unfortunately, none of my plain summery shirts would match the colours in the kilt, so it was a plain white linen blend short-sleeved number with an Austrian straw hat. I got some positive comments, including from a cyclist paused at the traffic lights (mentioned in the Compliments thread)

Sunday after our morning service I switched from official garb to the dark khaki utility kilt with short white socks and bright orange boat shoes from Clarks. Up top I wore a shirt from Cotton Traders with images of boats, desert islands and palm trees. The over all cloud is shades of grey and blue, but the island had brown highlights that matched the kilt and the sails had orange highlights that matched the shoes.

When MOH spotted the outfit she went quiet. She was in a red and white dress that I’ve described somewhere else. The journey to one of her bricks was very frosty. I think she was worried about the reception. However, as expected, there were no comments either way. The neice was wearing a pink Ralph Lauren polo shirt dress (if you get my drift) and her husband was in full t-shirt and shorts. (They are generally quite casual at home, they they dress up for their work)

The return journey was much more amicable, in part I suspect due to the lack of reaction. Another small victory.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Yesterday I ventured into town in a full length black skirt (Incerun) with a slightly cropped black top (BothAnd). As it was sunny, and I was shy about wearing a crop top, I put a long-sleeved shirt (grey monochrome pattern) loosely over the top for most of the journey. It seemed to work fine: if I got any looks, I don't know whether it was for the skirt or for the black fedora! Next time I'll switch the high-top navy blue trainers for something more black.

Today I was in a more summery plain pale beige calf-length skirt with a man's yellow shirt and white trainers. No comments, or even pointed looks, at my usual supermarket, where the staff were as pleasantly unconcerned as ever. Also no visible reaction when I dropped my son off at the Scout hut for a rifle shooting evening.

I feel I have got to the point where a skirt below the knee feels almost as natural as a kilt. I'm still a little more self-conscious wearing a skirt shorter than a kilt, but I'm working on it. Sunglasses help: they make me feel more invisible!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Keep on skirting,

Alastair
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Had a funny experience yesterday. I'm practicing by wearing a skirt while walking to the local shops for lunch whenever I'm working from home. Basically no reactions, except yesterday in the supermarket there was a guy who first did a double take and then after I passed actually turned around to look (saw from the corner of my eye).

What makes this funny? When this guy was a 2m balding guy with tattoos over most of the arms and legs and face and possibly even more unusual clothes than my skirt. He didn't say anything, but I think I blew his mind.

(I figure some people would've felt threatened in such a situation, but I've never felt unsafe in a skirt. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe naive, or blase.)

For reference: the skirt I was wearing was this one with a black t-shirt.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

rode_kater wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:12 am ................... except yesterday in the supermarket there was a guy who first did a double take and then after I passed actually turned around to look (saw from the corner of my eye).
I have noticed a few people taking a second look, discretely, which I must admit that I would too as so far I have not seen another man in a skirt and would be an unusual sight.
rode_kater wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:12 am What makes this funny? When this guy was a 2m balding guy with tattoos over most of the arms and legs and face and possibly even more unusual clothes than my skirt. He didn't say anything, but I think I blew his mind.
It sounds like you might have taken a second look at him :)
My name is Anthony, please accept me for the person that I am.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

The interesting thought here is that a guy with tats all over his body and face would find a guy in a skirt to be strange and possibly threatening. It shows that anything goes as long as it's not feminine.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

rode_kater wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:12 am
What makes this funny? When this guy was a 2m balding guy with tattoos over most of the arms and legs and face and possibly even more unusual clothes than my skirt. He didn't say anything, but I think I blew his mind.
Wonder also if he wasn’t just jealous of your courage. For all we know he’s been trying to garner up the courage to wear a skirt.

I can tell you the two people I’ve seen skirted made me do a double take. I regretted it later cause I hope I didn’t make them feel uncomfortable. I’m just so interested in seeing another man wearing a skirt for comfort/fashion/fun that I don’t think I could be discrete.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

jamie001 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:33 pm The interesting thought here is that a guy with tats all over his body and face would find a guy in a skirt to be strange and possibly threatening. It shows that anything goes as long as it's not feminine.
Jamie's response, and some others strike me as speculation without any factual basis. My guess would be a guy loaded with tats would not be threatened or jealous at all -- he too has demonstrated the courage to wear what he wants; and the more likely explanation for a his 'double-take' is just curiosity since so seldom do any of us see another man wearing a skirt in public. Heck, if I see anyone in something that seems unusual, I'm likely to take a glance, perhaps even more than once if the opportunity arises without being boorish. Let's not attribute negatives without evidence--it may not be 'our' style, but tats, piercings, nail & hair coloring, and any clothing out of the 'approved norm' is helping us all break the barriers and climb out of the rut of regimented conformity.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Faldaguy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:09 am Let's not attribute negatives without evidence--it may not be 'our' style, but tats, piercings, nail & hair coloring, and any clothing out of the 'approved norm' is helping us all break the barriers and climb out of the rut of regimented conformity.
Well said sir! We really have no idea what’s really going on between another’s ears regardless of their actions or words. Giving everyone the benefit of the doubt that they’re not negative about it is a nice way to act.

Love the phrase “regimented conformity.” Seems like a wonderfully redundant phrase that conveys a wicked emphasis.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Spent one day this week wearing a Purple Rain skirt and button-front, collared short while running errands. Went into Walgreens, a bakery, grocery store, local burger place, coffee roaster, picked up packages and mailed two items at local post office, fueled up the van, and dropped off stuff at Goodwill. Also met an insurance adjuster. Received no insults or bad comments, and rarely did I notice any double takes. Saw two boys at the burger place - probably 10 to 12 - pointing at me. The Walgreens checkout lady smiled and said “nice blue” about my stellar blue skirt. This experience is what I am finding more and more, just doing normal things. Some people smile, and most don’t notice.
Last edited by SkirtedWalker on Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Sounds like a normal day to me! :D
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

SkirtedWalker wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:18 pm The Walgreens checkout lady smiled and said “nice blue” about my stellar blue skirt.
Nicely done. Do you believe the checkout lade wanted to say something after the word “blue” and just couldn’t think about what word to use? Like she wanted to say “nice blue skirt” but didn’t know if she could say the word and not hurt your sensibilities. Wearing a kilt one time I had a passing woman state “nice…kilt” with a noticeable pause between the words. It was a traditional kilt so I don’t know why the pause but it was there. Just curious. Glad you’re wearing what you want and feeling it.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

ScotL wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:01 amNicely done. Do you believe the checkout lade wanted to say something after the word “blue” and just couldn’t think about what word to use? Like she wanted to say “nice blue skirt” but didn’t know if she could say the word and not hurt your sensibilities.
Thanks. Don’t know about her adding “skirt” to her comment. Interesting thought.

I thanked her, saying “It’s one of my favorite.” She was probably in her 50’s. I saw her stocking a shelf near the checkout, and she walked with me over to the register. She was personable, and she pleasantly surprised me by her comment. She had a big smile on her face as I walked away.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

SkirtedWalker wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:57 pm
ScotL wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:01 amNicely done. Do you believe the checkout lade wanted to say something after the word “blue” and just couldn’t think about what word to use? Like she wanted to say “nice blue skirt” but didn’t know if she could say the word and not hurt your sensibilities.
Thanks. Don’t know about her adding “skirt” to her comment. Interesting thought.

I thanked her, saying “It’s one of my favorite.” She was probably in her 50’s. I saw her stocking a shelf near the checkout, and she walked with me over to the register. She was personable, and she pleasantly surprised me by her comment. She had a big smile on her face as I walked away.
You both may remember this encounter for awhile but I suspect you’ll remember it longer and with greater fondness.