If SkirtCafe were to give out medals......

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

If SkirtCafe were to give out medals......

Post by FranTastic444 »

I'm sure these guys would stand a chance of gold.

I came across these two on Instagram, but they also have a presence on the wider www, so fear not you Social Meeedja refuseniks.

Terry Sing NYC I think this is the guy who owns the fashion company and is the main model on the web page.

Jack Sivan is the guy who designs and makes these fabulous garments

jack.sivan_official Instagram

Terry Singh Instagram

For me, this clothing is the more accessible end of what you might see on a fashion catwalk. With maybe one exception, I think that every outfit looks fantastic. I am now incentivized to buy more lottery tickets (for you will surely need a healthy bank balance to purchase one of these outfits).

The short jackets ( would you call them tunic / bolero? style?) paired with long skirts (often pleated) is just such a winning combination. In all of my skirted years, never before have I looked at an image and so strongly thought I *need* an outfit just like that.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: If SkirtCafe were to give out medals......

Post by r.m.anderson »

The short jackets ( would you call them tunic / bolero? style?) paired with long skirts (often pleated) is just such a winning combination. In all of my skirted years, never before have I looked at an image and so strongly thought I *need* an outfit just like that.

TUNIC - differs from a BOLERO in hem length

Tunic below waist usually hip length or a bit more
Bolero think of a short jacket ending at the (navel ?) waist

Commonly neither of these is worn buttoned or fastened closed

As for awarding medals for styles of clothing - - -

"ME THINKS THEY WILL CLASH WITH THE CONCEPT" !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

They look really good, I am not a fan of pleats but apart from the pleats those looks are mostly excellent.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:44 pm The short jackets ( would you call them tunic / bolero? style?) paired with long skirts (often pleated) is just such a winning combination. In all of my skirted years, never before have I looked at an image and so strongly thought I *need* an outfit just like that.
Me likes a lot...

https://www.terrysinghnyc.com/images/hp/IMG_6263.png

It's probably a thousand dollar outfit... but man, that is DAPPER.

Though I'm betting Carl likely has the components in his closet to assemble something like that....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:19 pmThough I'm betting Carl likely has the components in his closet to assemble something like that....
I need to find someplace to get what's known as an "Ike Jacket" (named for Gen'l Dwight D. Eisenhower) which is that short waist-length style. This especially was up my alley but with the other textured skirt.

The linked image definitely got my attention, and is something I'd proudly wear if there was anyplace that demanded something truly fancy. Sadly, I think the days of formal looks are going the way of the dodo.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Those jackets remind me of the military Blouse (blouson) worn by the British army in WW2.
Personally, I prefer long line jackets but I like that look too.
I have never tried a floor sweeper dress or skirt and no immediate plans but never say never.
I really like the design of the pleated one but not the length.
Steve.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I would go with Xander Zhou. His 2019 collection had some totally wearable and cheap-to-produce items, like this:

Why can't I buy these in my local store????
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

You can - from the other side of the aisle.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:19 pm
It's probably a thousand dollar outfit... but man, that is DAPPER.

Though I'm betting Carl likely has the components in his closet to assemble something like that....
My guess is that this kit is going to be multiple thousands of $$$. The designer talks about making use of "rare and deadstock fabrics" which I automatically assumed meant "expensive". I've learnt a new word today :-)
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Xander Zhou 2020. A mix of borderline mainstream and Ziggy Stardust :-)

FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I wonder if Mark Bryan has the industry connections to get access to these guys (Singh and Sivan) and to model some of their kit?
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

FranTastic444 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:24 pm I wonder if Mark Bryan has the industry connections to get access to these guys (Singh and Sivan) and to model some of their kit?
Some of those are fabulous. Why can't we buy those from local stores?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:55 pm Some of those are fabulous. Why can't we buy those from local stores?
Agreed that they are fab looks but your "local" store wouldn't generate enough lucre to warrant bringing them into stock.
They will do well enough with the alternatives from the opposite aisle regardless of who is the purchaser end user.
I doubt that even Mark Bryan's influence would be likely to alter things anytime soon.
It is only when money talks that business really listens.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fabulous looks indeed, but in what modern setting would the average stiff ever be in that would call for such opulence? I fear that we're now in the terminal phase of jeans, leggings, trainers, and t-shirts.

One would think that formal events like weddings and funerals might be places, but even with those you're likely going to outshine the participants at the former and distract attention from the real matter at the latter. I do not want to go to a wedding and be better dressed than the bride and groom.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The skirts in the first set of links I wouldn't give hanger space. Very definitely A-list wear. Shudder.

In the list of pictures the skirts looked good except the long ones which aren't to my taste. Some on this site would like them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.