Coming Soon: Gucci’s Gender-fluid Collection

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Coming Soon: Gucci’s Gender-fluid Collection

Post by Grok »

But on the other hand, there is an actual Tranny group, which I believe is distinct from transgender.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I think that there was a miscommunication between pelmet and me. I meant "Tranny" as derived from "Transvestite". I was not trying to make reference to Transgender.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Sorry, I misunderstood.  The word has been used to include both groups in the past (and sometimes misused to imply they are the same thing).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Stu wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:37 pm
I am not pessimistic about this, however, as I might be wrong and it may open up possibilities.
I think what is more likely to show results...is a retailer deciding to boost sales of one of their skirts by marketing to men. Slap a "gender fluid" label on a product originally intended for women.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Or just an outright challenge: "Give a skirt a chance. Your manhood will not fall off."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Grok wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:52 pmI think what is more likely to show results...is a retailer deciding to boost sales of one of their skirts by marketing to men. Slap a "gender fluid" label on a product originally intended for women.
Maybe. The acid test will be how the skirts are marketed. Will they be depicted on male models in advertising, and even male mannequins in shops?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Yes, Stu, this has been mentioned before. Skirts that are supposedly "unisex", but all the models are women.

It seems to me that it would be relatively simple to add an image of a male model to the web site, at a minimum. The Macabi web site has a token male model, though their products are marketed mainly to women. I was thinking that another business could do similar; focus on a skirt that was originally intended for women but could be useable by men, and include in the web site at least one male model.

At this point I expect somebody to comment that this is free styling by another name.
Last edited by Grok on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:02 pmYes, Stu, this has been mentioned before. Skirts that are supposedly "unisex", but all the models are women.
The term "unisex" won't work because it's a code-word for "masculinising" women. It always has been.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Looked at Etsys collection of "gender fluid" skirts. So far as I can tell, all the models are women. So I suspect that "gender fluid" is just another gimmick.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Of course it is. There isn't a major designer/manufacturer/retailer with the b*lls to come out and market a skirt for men. Oh, some have pussy-footed around at it but they're afraid of the negative response to a full-on up front marketing campaign. That's because they have the same instinctual image that most of the western female/male population have - that skirts are just for women and any man that wears a skirt is .... well, you can fill in the gap. We here do our best but really we're not even a drop in the ocean. For men skirts to become popular it will probably occur through some obtuse event that none of us will foresee. Let's face it - it took one little virus to turn the world to mush or one man leaning on another man's neck to create havoc. Bring it on. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Sinned wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:46 pm There isn't a major designer/manufacturer/retailer with the b*lls to come out and market a skirt for men.
There were a couple of half-hearted attempts around 15 or 20 years ago who I recall did try. The first was H&M and theirs was basically a rectangle of cloth with a couple of bits of Velcro, the idea being that the wearer would fasten it around the waist over trousers. It was garbage. The second, about a year or two later, was Topman, and they brought out a men's sarong. I bought one from the Sheffield Meadowhall branch and, while it was a bit flimsy, I actually quite liked it (I like sarongs!) and it lasted me for several years and I always took it on holiday. Neither H&M nor Topman have done anything similar since, and I am guessing that's because they ended up with stock that wasn't selling. That suggests men's skirts is a risk they are not willing to take.

On the other hand, of course, if a mainstream outlet were to offer a simple skirt designed for men and depicted suitably masculine-looking male models wearing it in their marketing, that would give them a massive amount of publicity. Just imagine Marks and Spencer or Macy's offering a plain A-line denim skirt, depicted for example with a bearded man in the forrest with a chainsaw - a similar approach to Utilikilts' marketing. I reckon that would attract massive free advertising for the stores and probably a positive response.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Yes, Zara did try it some years ago but I didn't noticed that because I really started to care about what I wear, let's say, since 3 years ago (probably a bit less) (and skirts, one year only). There are two pics on a french forum here: https://asso.i-hej.com/forum/magasins-d ... pour-homme

I was thinking to something. Maybe could it be worthy to try a more proactive approach? I mean, actually we can notice that there is no marketing campaign about men in skirt. That's a pity. But maybe there is not such marketing, just because... they don't know what kind of skirt to show? Or maybe because they don't find masculine models to show themselve skirted? Or another reason we're not aware about?
In this forum, we are a lot of men to wear (or to wish to) skirts and also, some of us look great while looking masculine (maybe what they're searching to). If we are proactive and take contact with big retailers to propose our help, it might be easier for them to have something to show and someone to show that "something". And more important, something already validated by some men, not paid men, but volunteer ones, men showing what they would want to find in clothing stores or eventually what they already wear. Additionally it would have the benefit to show "normal men", not selected models with some awkwards/mysterious criterions that don't match real population (if it's a problem of finding people to show).

I will maybe try that in a few weeks/months, I don't think I'll get any answer but it's not harmful to give a try. If everything goes well I will have left my father and btw the only reason why I could not show myself skirted, and I have no issue about being shown in marketing campaigns. People could recognize me in the street? Waaah such a problem, actually a lot of people already recognize me in the train (I almost never get out of home if it's not to go to work) because of all crazy things I already did, like wearing a Pikachu cap with big ears everyday for 4 months. Additionally, it can be a cool experience, useless for work but still cool. (Or maybe not fully useless, if I'm shown publicly in skirt, it might helps my hierarchy to accept when I'll ask to wear skirts at work, but I'm a bit off-topic now)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Something I've been thinking as a more pro-active approach: a fund-raising for male-fertility issues.

It would work like this: you sign-up as a guy and get people to sponsor you to wear a skirt/dress for a day. Cause, you know, tight pants are bad for fertility. It ticks all the boxes: you're raising money for a cause, it's daring (which could attract the younger crowd), and you get plausible denyability. And people could bonus-dare you to do things like visit the supermarket, or go to work in a skirt. By giving it an element of fun, you can normalise it. Repeat annually.

I guess it's sort of related to Movember, except it's something more for the spring/summer. It's also something that'd need a bit of a marketing machine behind it, or maybe not, I've no experience with fund-raising. But if it catches on you might get stores marketing specifically for it, who knows.

We can dream, right?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

This thread has drifted...the topic now seems to be how to sell MIS to the mainstream of society.

(As I recall there was a thread about MIS and subcultures).

Kilts, of course, are a special case-accepted as mens wear by the mainstream, but uncommon.

There may be a very few candidate designs that might become-not so much a part of the mainstream-but part of the fringes of the mainstream.

Stu's idea might fit into the fringes. I believe somebody else said that kilts and denim are the only things that aren't automatically viewed as feminine. So a denim skirt on a man might be, not so much accepted, as tolerated.

Something similar might apply to sarongs. I recall a post about men in sarongs, at a beach, being just barely tolerated. If anything, sarongs would be even more fringe than denim, and rarely seen.

Denim is not my favorite fabric, but if I tried to promote MIS to the mainstream I would choose a denim skirt.
Last edited by Grok on Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I think it would be a great project to try and normalise it somehow.

I reckon a denim a line skirt - above knee would be the style - or perhaps a earthy toned heavy cotton in a similar shape/style too. Either way a standard classical shaped skirt.

And normal guys need to wear them. I would expect that it would not be the likes of a skirt I would want to wear because I am not that market - but I think I can understand what would work.

The only thing I am not sure about is what shoes you would coordinate it with to be trendy? My choices would all be heeled - but thats not going to work - and thinking about it I'm actually not sure what would be right? Perhaps some type of slip on shoe?