2019 male fashions.The Tunic or Robe

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

2019 male fashions.The Tunic or Robe

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have just been looking at some of the random male fashions which are neither male nor female.....Perhaps a random male skirt or
tunic which is so oversize that it has to be belted at the waist or worn with a shirt or waistcoat to be practical to wear.
Perhaps a tunic which is designed as a circle shape from the shoulder seams and belted at the waist......or a tubular cylindrical
skirt with a 90 inch waist band and hem, drawn into say 30 to 40 inches with a draw string or an elasticated waist band ....
A garment which is free and full but constrained within the male shape....This is what I understand is called a free size garment.
the concept is to use a material which will perhaps naturally form unpressed sunray pleats.
The South Eastern European Fusinella ? was probably made in this manner ....claimed to perhaps be a male circle skirt
with a possible 30 to 40 inch waist and 40 pleats.....This would give a hem of something like 40 x 22/7 ...say 120 inches.
It is likely that this type of free rolled pleat would taper from 3 inches at the hem to 1 inch at the waist.

I wonder how far this style of male skirt will advance in the next year......................weeladdie.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 2019 male fashions.The Tunic or Robe

Post by weeladdie18 »

The Traditional Scottish Highland Kilt appears to hang vertically from the male hips.....The hem is 8 x 36 inches including
both aprons which are both approx. 18 inches on the hem....the garment usually has 29 or 30 pleats.....so check the dimensions
for yourself................originally the pleats were not steam pressed and hand stiched from the hips to the waist......weeladdie
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

weeladdie18 wrote:The Traditional Scottish Highland Kilt appears to hang vertically from the male hips.....The hem is 8 x 36 inches including
both aprons which are both approx. 18 inches on the hem....the garment usually has 29 or 30 pleats.....so check the dimensions
for yourself................originally the pleats were not steam pressed and hand stiched from the hips to the waist......weeladdie
Not necessarily, my best kilt is 12 * 36 inches at the hem, it's also very heavy!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

B and B....I have seen a 9 yard Kilt , but not a 12 yard Kilt....What is the waist band of your Kilt....It may depend on the pitch
of each of your Pleats...and the number of pleats.....It may depend upon the regional style of the Kilt and perhaps the Pitch of the
Tartan set.....Please also remember that 20 oz cloth was more commonly used than the modern 16 oz... by 8 yard.

This gives a weight of approx. 8 oz x 8 yards this gives 1/2 a pound per yard by 8 yards ....or 1/2 x 8 ..equals 4 to 5 lbs ....

with the older 20 oz cloth the Kilt was 10/16 x 8 equals 5 pounds weight.......There is an American Kilt Maker who uses this cloth
as 1916 Re enactment WW 1 Kilts .................One of my 20 year old Military Kilts is heavier than my 2013 Locharron material
8 yard by 16 oz dress Kilt , pleated to the stripe....so the whole Kilt Design is relative to the region and the supplier of
the Tartan Cloth.....Some laddies complained that their Boys Kilts were cold , others suggested that their Kilts were warm and were
thicker than my modern 8 yard x 16 oz Kilt.....I will have to renew my search for a heavier traditional material.............
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

My waistline is something like 44 inches, never actually measured the kilt waistline, but my kilt belt is too tight so I am using my jeans belt which works with 44" waist jeans so it is around that size.The kiltmonger measured me up and recommended a twelve yard kilt for my size so it would swing better. I have had it quite a few years now but from memory it was also made from the heaviest wool they used.
Daftest thing was that after six weeks, when the kilt was ready, I had lost weight and shrunk a bit, so they had to alter it, a few more weeks till it was finally ready.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Big and Bashful wrote:My waistline is something like 44 inches, never actually measured the kilt waistline, but my kilt belt is too tight so I am using my jeans belt which works with 44" waist jeans so it is around that size.The kiltmonger measured me up and recommended a twelve yard kilt for my size so it would swing better. I have had it quite a few years now but from memory it was also made from the heaviest wool they used.
Daftest thing was that after six weeks, when the kilt was ready, I had lost weight and shrunk a bit, so they had to alter it, a few more weeks till it was finally ready.
Thanks for info B & B Nothing like a new heavy weight Kilt with plenty of pleats...keeps the Kilt stiff with plenty of swing...........Well done.....

My Kilt lasted me for Thirty five years before I replaced it...I had a new one made in Inverness...I went up there on the train from Penzance for a measurement
by my Kiltmaker
This 8 yard Kilt should last me until I am over 100 years old........I love a good heavy weight traditional Scottish Kilt....Good value for the Money
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is said that the lassies go wild when they see a man in a Kilt...One day an elderly lady's curiosity got the better of her and she asked the usual
tiresome question......So I gave her the stock innuendo as a reply....Her reply was.... " Oh really ? ...Thank you very much..."

Her two younger companions smiled at me and started laughing.......One of the ladies said " Well you did ask the question and he did give you a reply "

She then continued ....." You look rather shocked ...Come on Auntie . Let us go and have a cup of tea .....You certainly look as if you need one ."

The two lassies were trying to retain their composure as they lead their elderly relative away.....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I had a personal guided tour of the Famous Scottish Castle which was the residence of the Old King of Scotland and his pride of lions .
My Guide was one of the N.C.O.s who trained the raw National Service Recruits how to wear their Kilts with pride when they joined one of the
Old Kilted Highland Regiments for their basic training ,including care and maintenance of their Kilts.

He showed me the door of one lecture room which was used to prepare the recruits for their Kilt Inspections by the Regimental Sargent Major.
One day the recruits were waiting to enter the room and a strong gust of wind blew all the recruits Kilts up around their ears.....

This N.C.O. considered that it was useful to perform his own Kilt Inspection of the Recruits before The arrival of the R.S.M.