London Fashion Week 2013

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: London Fashion Week 2013

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Boob tubes, WTF?
:rofl:

OK, that one had me (as a Yank, mind) for a moment. Here, "boob tubes" (aka "the glass teat") are [electronic] things that folks watch for enjoyment or stress-inducement. The "tube" bit is a throwback to the days of cathode-ray tubes.

It took me a moment to make the jump to apparel (and a recollection of the term from a book on Dr. Who that I have on a shelf of mine).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I'm still in the dark here.

Martin
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Martin, a boob tube fefers either to a television set(and we, unlike nearly everyone else, are still using crt tellys with set top boxes as the picture is still at least as good as the modern thin things, and we're loath to toss something that still functions perfectly) the other description refers to the double barrelled catapult worn by people with boobs to keep .em defying gravity as they age :mrgreen: :hmmm: :hide:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Sarongman wrote:Martin, a boob tube fefers either to a television set(and we, unlike nearly everyone else, are still using crt tellys with set top boxes as the picture is still at least as good as the modern thin things, and we're loath to toss something that still functions perfectly) the other description refers to the double barrelled catapult worn by people with boobs to keep .em defying gravity as they age :mrgreen: :hmmm: :hide:
To me a boob tube is neither of those...

...it is a single tube garment designed to cover the area from the top of the bust to somewhere below the bust. For example the top in this (rather odd) outfit.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Oops, sorry! I didn't realise that was a purely British expression. A piece of women's fashion from the eighties. Like Ian says. Not worn by men, I mean, why would you have a top that ended just there? But once they became popular, they were worn, rather pointlessly, be prepubescent girls as well as the older ones who had the necessary body parts to hold them up! A fine example of people wearing something because they are in fashion, not because they are suitable - reminds me of something - what was it now? No, it was on the tip of my tongue, but it's gone. :lol:

Boob tube = TV?

??

???

You live and learn!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

skirtyscot wrote: Boob tube = TV?

??

???

You live and learn!
No, no no.... You've got it wrong. A television is a Beeb tube, surely! :lol:
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Stevie D wrote:A television is a Beeb tube, surely!
In Australia, we have referred to a telly as a boob tube, possibly because anyone addicted to the thing is a bit of a booby! ( even though our ABC (aunty) gets a lot of it's material from the "beeb" back there in Pommyland. :P :P As an example, someone whose entire conversation revolves around what is, or was on television is a bore to be fled from IMHO.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod