Little Black Dress

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
Juan

Little Black Dress

Post by Juan »

Wad Magazine

Photography Bertrand Le Pluard
Styling Stéphane Gaboué

I'm not sure whether Chanel's long-lasting, versatile, affordable "little black (cocktail) dress" was intended to go with beards, but, thanks in part to her very efforts, things are slowly changing. Here the French photographer Bertrand Le Pluard has reinvented the term, using himself as a model and posing in a garment no quite resembling Madame's, but a black dress all the same.

More pics at my blog: http://newmalefashion.blogspot.com/2010 ... dress.html
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Little Black Dress

Post by SkirtedViking »

Not bad but totally inappropriate shoes.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

That guy looks like "Ivan the Terrible" wearing a summertime shorter black robe. What is that he's holding, an axe case??

I see nothing wrong with the shoes, the heels are no longer than the average pair of cowboy boots and they're color coded for the outfit. :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:That guy looks like "Ivan the Terrible" wearing a summertime shorter black robe. What is that he's holding, an axe case??
Ha! That could have been me a few years ago before my beard went grey and white. (Save for the hair, that is.)

He's carrying a skateboard.
I see nothing wrong with the shoes, the heels are no longer than the average pair of cowboy boots and they're color coded for the outfit. :D :D
Seconded. They come up a bit high on the ankle for my tastes, but that's neither here nor there in the overall scheme of things.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

About the shoes I meant heels(yes not "masculine" shoes). And that is my personal opinion - some people will share it,some people won't.Otherwise I like the style with the beard, I am bearded myself.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Skip:

That guy looks like "Ivan the Terrible" wearing a summertime shorter black robe. What is that he's holding, an axe case??

Me thinks this guy (???) is a bit overdressed for using the skate board (axe case) !

rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Right!

Also I've replaced my LBD with a LRD from Kensie.

Dawn
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Dawn wrote:Right!

Also I've replaced my LBD with a LRD from Kensie.

Dawn
Let's see a photo of you in the LRD please.
Davy

Post by Davy »

I never did much care for black, and this photo sure reinforces that particular prejudice of mine. [Love the Ivan the Terrible analogy!]
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Well heck, here I am in my "little black dress" (size "M"). It would be interesting to see other guys' versions on this thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guyinnadress

Post by guyinnadress »

I have not owned a dress, have tried them on though and I would love a little dress of any colour. They do have to be the right shape and cut though.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

....and therein lies the problem for us menfolk. For my sins I'd take UK size 20 upstairs and size 14 from the waist down, which rules out all off-the-peg offerings and points directly to the tailor's shop.
A shoulderless design might work, but then I'd have to wear a jumper or jacket with it to cover hairy arms &c. I fear that whole exercise would be treading into femme territory and counterproductive to boot.
Jack Williams manages to make long dresses work for him after he's dyed them glue-brown or treacle-black. I'm personally not into the monk-look, though.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

It is a bit difficult with colours. Can you see me in red, pink, green? Purple might work, also camo. I do have blue denim of course.
Actually what about red? An excellent red dress I could make, at great expense though, from two of NZ Nature co's red double silk nightshirts ($110 each), and a Silkbody mens short sleeve crew ($135). Far too expensive methinks!
By contrast those knit dresses were $50, and the excellent light denim ones $75. The button through cotton shirt dresses currently available are $70 and I'm getting more of those. Some sewing will be done on those. See "Sewing" later when I get them.
Red is a very good dress colour though, and there are lots of different reds. One of the "natural" coloured $70 cotton shirt dresses would probably work well in a red. It has got me thinking.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

guyinnadress wrote:I have not owned a dress, have tried them on though and I would love a little dress of any colour. They do have to be the right shape and cut though.
Welcome to the site mate.
Yes, have to get/tailor them for a good fit. I set to and alter them!
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I have a little black dress. It looks like an athletic shirt (tank top) but it comes down to just above my knees. Very comfortable around the house in warm weather.