Stylist in a dress

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
Juan

Stylist in a dress

Post by Juan »

Stylist and fashion blogger Jujiin Samonte (http://www.jujiin.com) recently attended the Philippine Fashion Week.
I'm sure his outfit, published by Style Bible Philippines, didn't remain unnoticed.

More pics at my blog: http://newmalefashion.blogspot.com/
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Stylist in a dress

Post by SkirtedViking »

Cool style -coordinated outfit.It is a good thing that he is not wearing the typical and rather (according to me) boring so called men's shoes.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

He's got to be the most stylish stylist there is.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

That's overt CDing. Far too obviously femme. Those white details are quite clearly meant to fit over and emphasise boobs.The black shiny tights, shoes and hair adornment say it all, too. I'm surprised 'he' doesn't have a designer handbag to go with it.

Looking again....'he' DOES have a handbag!!

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
N0HEQ

Post by N0HEQ »

How about a much more masculine looking yet stylish denim shirt dress? There are many dresses for those of us who are manly men with no desire whatsoever for a sex change. I have three African themed safari dresses with several deep pockets. Might not even look too bad with a tool belt. :)
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Interesting find Juan. Conversations with female friends of mine of Philippine birth leads me to think this type of gender ambiguity is more acceptable there than in the "western" world.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

It is unnecessary to moan about being too feminine and the CD bullsh*t - the fact that you wear a skirt is enough of a statement that you do not give a f*ck about stereotypes and traditional narrow-minded views about men.The guy looks cool and the equal principle is no different to a woman in masculine apparel, saw many of them today though it is quite hot outside.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Anyone is free to wear what they like, of course, but I like men to look like men and women to look like women. Jujiin Samonte looks to me like a woman. If he likes that look, then good for him but, in my book, that is crossdressing and not extending genuine male fashion choices.

Stu
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hey SV,

You're always really sharp at jumping down other peoples throats when they say something is too far over the line for them and have regularly told us how freestyle you are, but (as far as I recall) you have never shared a picture of your style. How about showing us how good you can look so that we can all learn from you?

Have fun,

Ian.

PS I'm with Stu, the image presented is more feminine than male or even androgynous. If that is how he wants to dress fine, it's his call, but it's not for me.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

Milfmog wrote:Hey SV,

You're always really sharp at jumping down other peoples throats when they say something is too far over the line for them and have regularly told us how freestyle you are, but (as far as I recall) you have never shared a picture of your style. How about showing us how good you can look so that we can all learn from you?

Have fun,

Ian.

PS I'm with Stu, the image presented is more feminine than male or even androgynous. If that is how he wants to dress fine, it's his call, but it's not for me.
That is an answer to Stu,too. Well, try to reason this statement,that I posted earlier: "The guy looks cool and the equal principle is no different to a woman in masculine apparel, saw many of them today though it is quite hot outside."Especially the last part of the statement - just reason it.if you keep on thinking about men as being crossdressers...that is not the way things could work and so far the results in man's fashion freedom is a clear example of that.Many women are even mascuiline in hairstyles, try some bodybuilding and no one questions them as crossdressers.Get to the principle of equality on the first place. About pictures as I have already mentioned in previous posts: I do not fancy my pictures in the internet, do not like the idea.That is just my character.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtedViking wrote:About pictures as I have already mentioned in previous posts: I do not fancy my pictures in the internet, do not like the idea.That is just my character.
Well, there we have it -- another poster who professes to a very "off-normal" (like we're all not "off-normal" by varying degrees!) sense of style and refuses to actually show us what it looks like. That's a fundamental problem with clothing style -- it's a visual medium and to communicate it properly so others might draw their own conclusions requires imagery in precisely the way that style in music requires recordings or attendance at live performances.

Sorry, SV, your credibility just went to zero in this author's opinion. Seriously, if you want to present a cogent argument when it comes to visual matters like style you need to present imagery; that's why things like fashion and style magazines exist. Ranting on and on about "double-standards" (yes, they suck; no, they're not going to go away because we whine about them) and advocating "full fashion freedom" (whatever that is) without visual examples is like asking whether a tree falling in the forest makes a sound if nobody is around to hear it.

My personal take on "full fashion freedom" is that if one is not very careful with it one can make one horrific idiot out of one's self very, very, easily. That's why imagery in these cases is called for; imagination, based on limited clues, is worse than useless: pictures do not (usually) lie.

As far as the designer in question is concerned, that's all-up TV -- and pretty good TV at that because he can "pass". That's fine if that's what "floats his boat" but it's not what SkirtCafe is about.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Carl, you might have also pointed out that the Pics and Looks section of this board is off limits to search engine bots and non-members if SV is worried about who sees his pictures.
Last edited by skirted_in_SF on Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

SkirtedViking wrote:
Milfmog wrote:Hey SV,

That is an answer to Stu,too.
Except that Stu:
a) Does not claim to go far beyond simple "manly" denim skirts and
b) has previously posted a picture of himself in a denim skirt (I don't recall if it was on this site but I do have a copy sitting in my archive at home).

I agree with you about the desireability of full gender equality, but do not believe this will happen in fashion unless men are prepared to be seen wearing clothes that are currently beyond the norm.

SkirtedViking wrote:I do not fancy my pictures in the internet, do not like the idea.That is just my character.
You regularly claim to go out and about in the real world in whatever you choose without compromise over the way you appear to others, but you are not prepared to put your picture in a generally supportive, closed area of cyberspace? Sorry, but the credibility gap in your postings has just become a yawning chasm, into which you seem intent on falling.

If you are going to berate others for their compromises, you must expect them to push back and ask for an example of what you claim is accepted in your society. (Have you even told us where in Europe you live? I don't recall).

Have fun, but please don't waste our time with "holier than thou" posts that you are not prepared to support,

Ian.

EDIT: I should point out that the above is posted as an individual member of the forum, not as a moderator.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

I live in Eastern Europe.If you are calling that guy a TV/CD on the picture,not that I care so much but the same definition shall be probably given to me by some of you.I view myself as a freestyler and pro-gender equality.The only difference is that I am with a masculine body and beard with the Asian guy on the picture.Search for masculinity not in the objects is my advice, clothes and shoes do not have sex as women well present that example.About my credibility it is up to you to believe me or not to, I do not force anyone.
MSpookshow

Post by MSpookshow »

This seems as good a time as any to say this. I think this forum is far too obsessed with keeping things "masculine". Freestyle fashion is all about breaking preconceived gender stereotypes on style. Consistently calling men who wear more than just a boring denim skirt crossdressers is not exactly promoting fashion freedom. The blurb at the top of this site seems to indicate a more open-minded spirit than I regularly see from posters here. It just seems that anything even a little adventurous is shunned or otherwise mocked a bit too quickly, and I think ultimately that's harmful to fashion freedom as a whole.

Carl, I usually find your posts very well thought out and enlightening, but I've got to disagree with you on this one. Who exactly gets to decide who does and does not look like a "horrific idiot"? Obviously, the answer is that it's entirely subjective, but in that case why should anyone limit themselves based on other's opinions at all?

Anyways, I think the man in the picture looks great. Sure it's not for the faint of heart, but that's what makes it stylish in the first place. Does he look masculine in a lumberjack sort of way? Certainly not, but I hardly think that's down to the outfit. Let's be real, this boy would look delicate in even the most outrageously stereotypical masculine attire. So once we strip out the unnecessary gender labels and ask if the outfit as a whole looks good and works on his frame, I think the answer is a solid yes. Then again, when I think of fashion I don't see denim skirts and crocs, so your mileage may vary. :P