As girly as it gets

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
Juan

Re: As girly as it gets

Post by Juan »

I understand this forum is about men wearing skirts in "a masculine context", that is, not about "cross-dressing" or about trying to "pass" as women, but rather about us wearing un-bifurcated garments as legitimate menswear. Nevertheless, I really think that the afore mentioned "masculine context" is getting more and more blurry as years go by.

More and more "feminine" features are now socially acceptable for males (like long hair, earrings, and bold colors) just as almost every single "masculine" garment you can think of has become part of the womens wardrobe. A day might come when the term "cross-dressing" will become obsolete. Regardless of your biological sex, you'll wear a "power-suit" if you need to project self-assurance, competitiveness, boldness; or you'll wear laces, frills or delicate flower-patterns if you feel unassertive, submissive, fanciful or simply particularly creative. Or you'll dress in whatever clothing is appropriate to your trade: a female mechanic should wear denim overalls, but a male baby-sitter can show up in an ample, colorful blouse and pink leggings!

As always, creative artists live ahead of their times: Fashion designers are already experimenting with that possibility, and, as it frequently happens when creative imagination is unleashed, things tend to go the extremes.

Take the utmost feminine article of clothing, for instance: the brassiere. There's obviously no need for us males to wear a bra, because (most of us) don't have anything to fill it with. It's a ladies only stuff. Right? Well... there's also an aesthetical aspect to that undergarment, which is frequently ornamented with attractive laces and macramés. A male breast is also very appealing, and that charm can also be enhanced. I've seen strapless tops (at times not covering your belly) in several runway shows (I remember some stunning ones by the late Alexander McQueen). Even if they are manfully sewn in thick denim, raw linen, or black spandex, what are they if not "male-bras"?

[Dead image-link removed]

So, there's no need to worry. This is not becoming "transvestite" forum. On the contrary... it will become less and less so by the hour.
Last edited by crfriend on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed dead IMG link
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Juan wrote:More and more "feminine" features are now socially acceptable for males (like long hair, earrings, and bold colors) just as almost every single "masculine" garment you can think of has become part of the womens wardrobe. A day might come when the term "cross-dressing" will become obsolete. Regardless of your biological sex, you'll wear a "power-suit" if you need to project self-assurance, competitiveness, boldness; or you'll wear laces, frills or delicate flower-patterns if you feel unassertive, submissive, fanciful or simply particularly creative. Or you'll dress in whatever clothing is appropriate to your trade: a female mechanic should wear denim overalls, but a male baby-sitter can show up in an ample, colorful blouse and pink leggings!
Some of this has come at a price, and, moreover, a lot of the notion seems to wax and wane -- at least when it comes to guys trying to express themselves with what they put on their bodies. Long hair has followed that trend, as has heeled shoes, tattoos (no, I don't have any), and other assorted body-piercings (I haven't any of those, either). Most, if not all, of the above are "out" in what passes as "conservative western society" (at least where I live) which, in effect, means that earrings on guys must be no more than studs (or none at all), tattoos must be covered when at work, heeled shoes simply are not available in men's sizes, and long hair -- whilst technically accepted -- is rather frowned upon.

The above having been said, I sport a waist-length hair (albeit thinning up top as I enter my next half-century) wear skirts very openly -- including at work -- and I actively modify my attire to suit the audience I'm expecting. If I'm trying to drive home a strong point, or am trying to "sell" something, I'll opt for the "traditional" "grey man" look so as not to draw attention to me but rather the point I'm trying to make (recall Sapphire's commentary on garb when she was invited to testify on Capitol Hill in Boston). If I'm in a strong position and I'm still trying to make a point, or even woo another party into certain things, I'll very likely opt for a skirted "power look"; I have done this to good results at work pairing off silk skirts with neckties, dress shirts, and waistcoats. For everyday looks, I'll wear my more casual skirts and, in the summer, Hawaiian shirts, or dress shirts. The potential range eclipses what I had in my "toolkit" when I was constrained to trousers only.
Juan wrote:Take the utmost feminine article of clothing, for instance: the brassiere. There's obviously no need for us males to wear a bra, because (most of us) don't have anything to fill it with. It's a ladies only stuff. Right? Well... there's also an aesthetical aspect to that undergarment, which is frequently ornamented with attractive laces and macramés. A male breast is also very appealing, and that charm can also be enhanced. I've seen strapless tops (at times not covering your belly) in several runway shows (I remember some stunning ones by the late Alexander McQueen). Even if they are manfully sewn in thick denim, raw linen, or black spandex, what are they if not "male-bras"?
Have you ever tried to do laundry that's contained a brassiere in it? The blasted things tear up everything else in the wash, and what they don't tear up they get ensnared in or tangled around! I wish the designers of the blasted things would give up on hooks and go back to buttons or forward to zippers.

I'll have to admit that the "male bustiere" isn't something I'd wear; for one, I suspect it's look daft on my frame and, second, the fur I have up top is as patchy and (seemingly) moth-eaten as that which I used to have on my legs (which I now keep down with heavy machinery). For me to wear "strapless" garments (or anything that'd bare more than a touch of shoulders or back, would mean removing the growth, and I can't reach those spots. Personally, I draw the line at having somebody else remove hair. :shock:
Juan wrote:So, there's no need to worry. This is not becoming "transvestite" forum. On the contrary... it will become less and less so by the hour.
Thanks for the occasional tweak on the nose, sir. It possibly helps keep us in line, and even if we occasionally recoil from the runway imagery puts our brains in gear. For that, I thank you.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

Juan wrote:
So, there's no need to worry. This is not becoming "transvestite" forum. On the contrary... it will become less and less so by the hour.
For me transvestite is a man(the term is not applied to women nowadays) using fake parts on his body and putting fake name.If a guy is wearing just the "female" garment,the shoes or accessories THIS is fashion equality - see women and their "masculine" apparel for reference.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

crfriend wrote:Have you ever tried to do laundry that's contained a brassiere in it? The blasted things tear up everything else in the wash, and what they don't tear up they get ensnared in or tangled around! I wish the designers of the blasted things would give up on hooks and go back to buttons or forward to zippers.
To offer a handy hint: any garment with hooks and eyes just needs to be hooked together before washing... it will behave better.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

skirtingtheissue wrote:
crfriend wrote:Have you ever tried to do laundry that's contained a brassiere in it? The blasted things tear up everything else in the wash, and what they don't tear up they get ensnared in or tangled around! I wish the designers of the blasted things would give up on hooks and go back to buttons or forward to zippers.
To offer a handy hint: any garment with hooks and eyes just needs to be hooked together before washing... it will behave better.
And placed in a closed, mesh bag intended for such garments. :wink:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Oh heck. I'm not against "cross dressers". They get a lot of fun out of it and are not necessarily "gay". I would say, much as I try to avoid it, there would be people on the street who would think me a crossdresser because the unbifucated look would click their "CD" or, heck, "gay" button. Not much I can do about that.
Dug up these pics, what do you think? I wear these up to the shops etc.
In the top photo on the screen, that is me just before, outside in the same outfit!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Jack,
You could be accused of a lot of things, but "girly" isn't one of them.
Steve.
RavenTao

Post by RavenTao »

crfriend wrote:I may be alone in this regard, but somehow I find the imagery above slightly disturbing, and I can't quite put my finger on why. But my primary reaction was one of visceral recoil. Introspection is required.
You are not alone.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Wearing a skirt is a full time thing for me. I do not want to be a woman or even to try to look like one. Some if the images were as far as I am concerned (and this is my opinion) not what I would buy or wear. As for getting all up set at having seen them :lol: :lol: :lol: It does not bother me at all. I have been exposed to much worse live at the scene. :pukel: I say we as men need to push harder on the envelope and stretch it as far as possible. Wearing what ever we please, when we please and where we please. :cheers: :cheers:
So to all of my fellow skirt wearers keep up the good fight and don't let the naysayers tear you down.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Juan wrote:Most probaly these looks'll never reach the "mainstream" but, what the heck! That's precisely what creative artist are supposed to do: push the envelope a bit.

I've selected only those pics depicting garments that, in my opinion, could be actually worne by men in "real life". Other images of the show are on the brink of "cross-dressing", but equally beautiful. (The complete gallery is at "The Fashion Spot": http://forums.thefashionspot.com/showpo ... tcount=693 ) Why not? Isn't blurring the frontiers between the sexes one of art's ever-reviving efforts since ancient times?

Artist Solve Sundsbo photographed models Josh Bitelli, Luke Worrall, and Danny Fox ("Three boys" is actually the collection's name) styled by Katie Grand.
To me the models expressions are more out of place than the clothing. I don't see these photos as being anywhere near cross-dressing in the way I use the term in that they are making no effort what to ever to look like a female.
It looks to me to be nothing more that photographic art, not too unlike some of the art photos that I take from time to time.

:ugeek:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:and long hair -- whilst technically accepted -- is rather frowned upon.
I'm starting to notice a lot of comments about my hair getting longer now. It's actually longer than it's ever been before. My boss takes no issue with it, but another supervisor (not my boss) has been going on and on about it to the point of starting to get on my nerves. (he is one of the ones I expect to give me a VERY hard time when my skirt wearing is outed)

I will admit... the hair is in that "weird" stage. Long enough to look shaggy, yet still not quite long enough to style any particular way. A pony tail can be achieved, but it's very small. The wearing of the full brimmed hat has helped give my hair somewhat of a carefree look I think.

But mostly, it's been friendly comments and some playful teasing.

One guy said to another in regards to me as he laughed.... "what.. you going for the Caitlyn Jenner look?"

I can already see, Caitlyn is going to be my work name when the full story surfaces... better get prepared now. :|

I can roll with the punches at work, but it still kind of bugs me.... they just can't playfully tease the style... no we've got to degrade transgendered people in the process. I find it somewhat offensive.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I will admit... the hair is in that "weird" stage. Long enough to look shaggy, yet still not quite long enough to style any particular way. A pony tail can be achieved, but it's very small. The wearing of the full brimmed hat has helped give my hair somewhat of a carefree look I think.
Congratulations. You have reached what's known as the "Awkward Stage" that every male who has ever grown his hair out has had to pass through. It's enough to test the resolve of many, and more than a few give up during this phase; however, if you can persevere through it, it does get better on the other side as once it gets longer you can actually do things with it. Just as sublime as what a skirt feels like for the first time is feeling the sweep of your own hair against your back in a breeze (this means, obviously, being shirtless).
But mostly, it's been friendly comments and some playful teasing.
That's encouraging. When I was growing mine out I received nothing but grief about it.
One guy said to another in regards to me as he laughed.... "what.. you going for the Caitlyn Jenner look?"
Watch that one, that may not have been a joke.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote:I will admit... the hair is in that "weird" stage. Long enough to look shaggy, yet still not quite long enough to style any particular way. A pony tail can be achieved, but it's very small.
Mine is going through that stage in reverse; as I get older, the longer hairs are falling out. If I put it straight into a pony tail after washing it, the shorter side hairs fall out of the 'scrunchie' and dry in a position where they keep getting in my face and mouth. If I wear an Alice band while my hair is drying, the side hairs are held back over my ears and then stay away from my face.

Remember not to answer the door when you are wearing an Alice band.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm not sure how long my hair will get, I believe it will reach a point of maximum length as I'm pretty hard on my hair. I've read if you want to grow it, it's best not to wash it too often as it's hard on the hair, but in my job, even with really short buzz cuts I've been known to come home with my hair matted up with coagulated chicken grease, and daily showers with thorough head washings are a MUST, sometimes twice per day.

I have found conditioner helps with the tangles, but I do notice I loose quite a few strands in the shower. Wearing the hat helps to keep the hair in place while driving and doing other task. I'm not much on ball caps, but love full brim hats. Wouldn't mind getting one of those larger weaved hats like women wear a church this summer. But the brown one I've been photographing myself in lately is nice because the brim isn't really wide and doesn't tend to get in the way.
crfriend wrote:Watch that one, that may not have been a joke.
It is what it is. Personally I'm one of those "Caitlin supporters", in so much as she's not hurting anyone.... just leave her alone and let her be what ever she wants to be. Sure, she's prancing about like a flaming peacock, but then again, that's what's all celebrities do. Hell, that's what I do, and given the number of selfies I see posted on social networking sites.... most everyone does! Her biggest crime is she "spreads ideas" *gasp*. :shock: Every tyrant knows that's a BIG NO NO!

I only take it as an insult because that was the context of the remark. If someone were to tell me that I remind them of Caitlin in a friendly context, I'd take it as a compliment.

But regardless, what are ya gonna do? People gonna hate. We just have to keep on pushing on and not worrying about it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Couture doesn't get a lot of activity does it? My post is the latest one and it's over a month old. :o
-Andrea