patrick mcDowell

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

patrick mcDowell

Post by Gusto10 »

Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: patrick mcDowell

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, well Gusto, thanks for that but it's not street fashion, it's fantasy, pure fantasy. Can't see anyone walking down the High Street or in the average Mall so dressed. Unique but not something I'd see in Tescos.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Not main street or the mall for sure, but boy would it be cool if everyone dressed in such wild and extravagant ways...

It seems with western culture, styles come down to two categories:

1) Boring

2) Eye candy (sexual attraction)

And for some reason, men usually fall into category (1) as oddly enough, "boring" is "eye candy" for women... :?

The styles in the article are works of art, and I admire the imagination that conjured them up.

I'll be honest, if I thought for a second I could get away with something like that, I'd love to have my day strutting around like a wild peacock.... :mrgreen:

The only one that jarred me was the one with the enormous red bow in the front. The red bow behind the head was kinda cool, but I just couldn't get on with the one in the front. I thought that looked silly.

That one sparkly guy dressed in that off white open front gown... now that was mighty cool!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:39 pmAnd for some reason, men usually fall into category (1) as oddly enough, "boring" is "eye candy" for women... :?
It's down to conditioning. Women typically are needy/greedy creatures and want a guy that can produce a reliable income -- and any bit of frivolity on the part of the guy will reduce the "attractiveness" of "reliability". See my commentary about architecture and its similarity to sartorial style over in Personal Stories.
I'll be honest, if I thought for a second I could get away with something like that, I'd love to have my day strutting around like a wild peacock.... :mrgreen:
Men have largely forfeited their "peacock birthright" on the altar of boring/reliable. One of the things I do not, and never will, understand about women is why they put up with abusive partners (that cuts both ways, actually).

Bows: I love 'em. Two of my dresses have belts that tie in fairly large bows on the front, and I have several barrettes with large bows on 'em for restraining my hair.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Some Sci-Fi films have toyed with those sorts of look. The film Demolition Man flirted with it, as I remember.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:39 pm It seems with western culture, styles come down to two categories:

1) Boring

And for some reason, men usually fall into category (1) as oddly enough, "boring" is "eye candy" for women... :?

Some guys have been slowly pushing the boundaries for a while now. The tiny box is opening up a little bit with color, and fits that show some muscles (if you have them). Girls notice, and being the guy who pushes whatever boundary, however subtly, gets you noticed. Some people react positively, some negatively. A few guys have decided that in certain situations, one positive reaction is worth a dozen bad ones. I ran into a guy once who openly talked about "peacocking" when going out to bars and clubs to get girls' attention. And all he was doing was wearing a bright pink shirt or something similar.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There was a Guiness advert that pushed the clothing boundary of men's wear somewhat: #https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1fbUbDoGnA. I think there was a brief glimpse of a man with a woman's hair style. I especially love the yellow suit worn by one of the men among some other of the bright colours. An awesome advert.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

3 times, the first is around 1:05, there is a man in a Red Kilt :D

The third time is at the end of the clip and it shows the kilted man
the 2nd from the right. Even wears a sporran :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Guinness is renowned for the creativity and quality of their advertising and this is no exception.
However, The Congo appears to have a very conservative attitude to the LGBGT community so I am guessing that a man in a skirt might be less than welcomed everywhere.
Before I get jumped on, "The Kilt" in the ad. would not be perceived as a skirt as such.
Still a great piece for the Black Nectar.
As for Mr McDowell, fine if you would be comfortable in any of the creations but otherwise, nah!
Steve.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:39 pm Not main street or the mall for sure, but boy would it be cool if everyone dressed in such wild and extravagant ways...

It seems with western culture, styles come down to two categories:

1) Boring

I don't want to be either.

Boring is well boring. It does seem like men's fashion is very boring, neck ties are about the only item where anything is possible, colours, patterns, bold, pastel, comic characters, flowers, you name it it's on a tie somewhere.

And I am definitely not nor want to be eye candy.
And that's regardless of what I am wearing.
I definitely don't make a skirt look good.
I don't want to attract men, and lets face it currently women don't exactly line up to date/marry/hang out with a man in a skirt.
I guess I try for a third category.

Maby Call it it light hearted style.

Dignified but with fun in it, cute but not baby doll cute. a little bit of color but nothing too loud. (A tartan kilt is a little loud for my tastes, but It's currently the acceptable men's skirt.)

let's face it a nice knee length skirt is fun to wear. Way more fun than boring trousers.
And with skirts there is way more variety. I'm very picky about my skirts, and I have way more than I need now, I have been binge buying. I Easily wouldn't have to wear the same skirt twice for two months. They all are different except for one where I bought 1 liked it so well, then they went on sale so I went back and bought two more.
I'm banking on or really hoping that skirts for men becomes common place.
I just might take all of my trousers and donate them to a woman. Here, I don't need these anymore.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I was going to say I'm fine with boring so long as I have choices (some skirt options, warm weather not all buttoned up, etc.), but maybe your lighthearted style is more what I'm going for.

I do like a bit more color, though I'm not all in on patterns. But some simple plaids, a splash of some fun colors, and a few skirt (and leg and footwear) options, and I think I'd be happy as a clam. But all that is more personal preference than anything else.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Nowt wrong with colour - bright blue, purple, bright red, yellow. I would wear them all the time.