Inspiration

For those do-it-yourselfers...
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Inspiration

Post by sapphire »

Well all of this talk about converting pants and overalls into skirted garments has inspired me.

I got this mad idea about making a gardening/work kilt out of bib overalls, so I went to the local Wal-Mart and got myself some overalls. Then I found this heavyweight cotton print in shades of blue that coordinated perfectly with the denim of the overalls and was CHEAP, $2.44 a yard.

The basic plan is to salvage all those lovely pockets and whack off the legs and use the print to make a kilt and then reattach the lower pockets that I had saved.

Then I thought "What the heck?" and went to the Goodwill store. I found a pair of black lined linen pants with floral teal beaded embroidery around the ankles. I knew I'd have to add a splice and guess what? I found a silk shirt in a coordinating shade of light teal.

Soooo, I can use the front of the shirt as a buttoned/unbuttoned splice and use the back as a solid splice.

AND..... I found a layered cutwork skirt in a dark coordinating teal. I could wear it as a skirt on its own or as a petticoat with the other piece.

So I walked out of the Goodwill store with my treasures and only spent $8.50
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Most of my storebought items other than socks and underwear come from Value Village.... What doesn't fit can be altered, but I'm a pretty easy guy to fit being skinny...everything fits except ARMS which are invariably 2-3 inches too short on any garment made in the world... :roll:

Its fun playing around with stuff like that. If it doesn't "work" then who cares?
Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

This sounds like a lot of piecing together. I admit that after you mentioned the second or third garment my imagination began to get a bit lost... (my mind just can't hold that many cards in it's hand at one time... it's a bit butterfingers...)

I would really love to get photos up of the process of what you're working on, though! It may seem odd to you, but actually seeing the whole original garments, then watching them being chopped to pieces, reassembled, and finally seeing the finished new garment will be a thrilling process for me, if you'd care to photograph it and share it online.

(Please, please, please!)

Emmy.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I'll try to get some pics before I go much farther. Last night I ripped the inseams of the embroidereded pants, but you can still see what the pants look like