Nightgown Suggestions?

For those do-it-yourselfers...
gshubert

nightcaps

Post by gshubert »

As I have become increasingly follicularly impaired (bald) I have found nightcaps to be a nice way to keep my head warm. I keep my house cooler at night to save energy; when the furnace does run, there seem to be cool downdrafts down the walls past the head of my bed (and my head).
--G. Shubert
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

DEleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

SkirtDude wrote:I periodically think that I should get a 4 poster bed with curtains to protect from cold drafts.
Funny, I was thinking the same thought recently. 8)
Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

BrotherTailor wrote:
SkirtDude wrote:I periodically think that I should get a 4 poster bed with curtains to protect from cold drafts.
Funny, I was thinking the same thought recently. 8)
Ohhhhhhh, yes! That sounds so romantic! I've always said I wished they'd bring back the good old-fashioned FUNCTIONAL kind of four-poster curtained bed! The kind with good, thick velvet curtains that you can draw tight and snuggle up inside like a cat in a private little hidey-hole.

Obviously I'm not the claustrophobic type! :)
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Well, you can make one (posters for the bed and the curtains) but then would you ever get up for work?
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

I helped set up the framework for a large four poster recently. It was king size and there was frame rails around the top on all four sides and cross rails from side to side that a canopy was stretched on, the side rails were what the curtains were hung on and I suppose is one wished they could buy some drapery fabric and completely enclose it as in Mediaeval days or whenever they were used in drafty old stone houses. It really would be a little world all its own if the drapes were drawn...private.

The bedposts were standard height, and then there were long extension posts that screwed into the base posts, so the bed could be used as a normal bed with a headboard and foot board, or a tall poster. It was 8 ft tall or so.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Ahhh, but would you ever get up to go to work if the heavy curtains were drawn?
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

I've resolved the nightgown issue.

Something else I've made for myself is a bit of an experiment that is working well in the lines of thermal undergarments. I picked up several yards of a soft and strong thermal ribknit fabric, the kind that comes in tube form on the bolt, and it is grey. All of my longjohns were down to nothing, just rag material, and I find it hard to buy anything that has long enough legs with a small enough waist, so I decided to try something new.

The tube fabric was just the size of a T-shirt in diameter, and I'm sure that a company buying it for this purpose would love it for making undershirts. I made myself a garment that is essentially a full slip, or tunic, that comes to just above my knees. I stitched the shoulder seams leaving a neck hole, and cut the arm holes 8 inches down each side from the shoulder seams. I trimmed out the neck hole to fit me and then simply zigzagged around these openings. I made a center slit front and back that goes from the bottom up to approx 2-3 inches below my "vitals".

I now have a combination undershirt and thermal "drawers" that do not bind or crush delicate parts, and they work well in trousers and coveralls. There is enough fabric that tends to fold in between to protect things from rough trouser seams and zippers etc. It took about 20 minutes to make. Just thought I'd share. It is very comfy and warm.
Donald

Post by Donald »

BT, that sounds like a good choice. I just joined today so my suggestions would have been after the fact. But I have a few satin nightgowns myself that are purchased. I chose satin because under the covers on my bed, it slides better when I roll over. Also, while keeping me warm, I do not sweat as much in satin as I do with flannels and the like. The satin on all but one of my nightgowns has a very thin velvety surface on the inside. I take hot showers which is never the best thing to do in cold dry weather yet I still prefer a hot shower. That soft lining sure makes the resultant itching much better than flannels. And my one nightgown that is satin but does not have a velvety feel to the inside (It feels the same on the inside as the outside) still is much more comfortable for itchy skin.

So I was going to suggest a satiny type material but as I said above, your nightgown has already been made. But if you ever wish to make a second one, you may be able to find some nice satiny material.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Thanks Donald.

I wear the thermal slip every day.

I find it very very comfortable to sleep in a nightgown - really ANTHING other than stupid pyjamas. I haven't woken up with my circulation cut off and parts of my body "asleep" for a long time, but I used to always have this issue with very long legs and arms. The only disadvantage with wearing and sleeping in a nightgown or similar is that it is depressing to have to take it off and don your male grubbies to go to work...Nothing better than lounging around the house in your nightie and housecoat...freedom :)
Donald

Post by Donald »

BrotherTailor wrote:I find it very very comfortable to sleep in a nightgown - really ANTHING other than stupid pyjamas. I haven't woken up with my circulation cut off and parts of my body "asleep" for a long time, but I used to always have this issue with very long legs and arms. The only disadvantage with wearing and sleeping in a nightgown or similar is that it is depressing to have to take it off and don your male grubbies to go to work...Nothing better than lounging around the house in your nightie and housecoat...freedom :)
I could not agree more. Nightgowns are also nice if you are a person who, like me, rolls over a lot. Nothing binds up at all.

I always use this example to point to instances where it proves men have worn nightgowns. One of my favorite Christmas programs from my childhood (and still is today) happens to be Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol. When he is at his home, he is clearly wearing a nightgown of sorts. And to quote from the actual Dickens novel of A Christmas Carol,

"Quite satisfied, he closed his door, and locked himself in; double-locked himself in, which was not his custom. Thus secured against surprise, he took off his cravat; put on his dressing-gown and slippers, and his nightcap; and sat down before the fire to take his gruel."

So...if men wore nightgowns 164 years ago, they can wear them again. Besides, I have seen men's nightshirts as I actually had one. But they still are not as comfortable as a nightgown. And BT is so lucky to be able to make his own. :)
ashtree

Post by ashtree »

Hi, Donald and all,
I fully agree with your opinion, that men;s nightshirts are not so comfortable as floor-length nightgowns. After all, Victorian nightgown models are very similar for men and women. Both have lace and similar decorations, etc.
I order custom-tailored nightgowns with a local Bulgarian lingerie company - Version Ltd. Here is a link to English version of their website:
http://versiontouch.911.bg/a2/firm.asp?id=5407&lang=eng
They work with quality South Korean satins and perform any orders you like. Just click "Special Orders" link on the left of the page. You just have to contact Mariana at info@versiontouch.com and send her a photo of the model you like, say, taken from other website and your measurements. Usually they need length from neckline to hem , shoulder width and sleeve length (preferebly in centimeters). They will make it 1 to 1 from satin. They have different colors and patterns of materials, just ask Mariana for sample photos. I can guarantee, that confidentiality is kept 100%- I personally know Marianna and she knows, that things I order are for me. Payment may be performed via bank account , I'm not sure about Paypal, it works in Bulgaria just from September 2007 and many people still do not know about this system. I have about 10 nightgown and robe sets, made by Version, most of them Victorian-style models, taken from vintage lingerie websites.
Prices are really reasonable. Just try and you won't regret.
Best regards
Yassen
ashtree
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nightgown Suggestions?

Post by rick401r »

I have a closet full of nightgowns. My wife turned me on to the idea when she let me have one of hers that was too large for her. Now I have many nylon, cotton, and satin gowns. I wear them every night. unfortunatly, I have to remove them before I leave the bedroom since my daughter and her children have moved in with us. Before that time, it was a joy to sit out on the deck in my nightgown and have breakfast and read the morning papers.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nightgown Suggestions?

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Since you know your situation best, rick401r, I won't argue that you should keep your nightgown on despite the family but perhaps you could swap the nightgown for a male styled nightshirt or robe during deck reading and breakfasting. It sounds like such a lovely way to start the day and comfort should go along with it.