DIY "Utilikilt"...

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

I've made a number of kilts in the past and the biggest challenge for me was fitting the pleats to fit my body. At the time, there was a 12 inch difference between my waist and hips, so forming the pleats to fit while maintainin the lines of the plaids I worked with was a bit of a fuss.
Since the kilt is generally a men's garment, one would normally not encounter as much of a problem here in making a kilt for a man.
MarkReaves

Re: DIY "Utilikilt"...

Post by MarkReaves »

I know this post is old, but is the original poster still around?

If so, have you made anymore Utility kilts? If so, got anymore pictures? Better pictures?

Also curious why this board is so dead...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

MarkReaves wrote:I know this post is old, but is the original poster still around?
BrotherTailor sticks his nose in every now and then, but isn't really one of the "regulars". We'll see if he chimes in.
Also curious why this board is so dead...
As I see it, it's a problem of "critical mass". Plain old blokes who just want the ability to add skirted garments into their wardrobes seem to be in somewhat short supply -- or at least those willing to talk about the matter in public where the search engines are watching. We're pretty thin on the ground, as it were. Of the 440-odd registered users, only a couple of dozen are really active, and a couple dozen more are occasional posters -- and that's on a world-wide stage, too. So, SkirtCafe is both "cutting edge" and a "niche" board at the same time -- and we have a complete range of tastes amongst ourselves, which sometimes leads to "interesting" discussion.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

I'm still around. Kinda busy with other things.
I've not made any more kilts. I'd like to make one in tartan though. No better pictures either...
If you lived near me we could meet and I could show you the kilt in action. Anyhow best wishes. :)
HotDebraG

Post by HotDebraG »

Is the kilt wrap & snap or is it a "one-piece" waist? Sorry, I don't know the proper terminology. Would you consider custom making working kilts. Are you near Calgary because I was kind of shocked to see the store that sold the Utilikilt there.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi -

You might try www.Stillwaterkilts.com as they are a good alternative
price wise. I have 3 and quite happy with the product.

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

wow, someone revived this old thread.
I would custom make a kilt, but I doubt being so far away would work.
My main apparel now in the skirt-like genre is cassock, alb, surplice......

Dominus vobiscum... :pray: