Keeping a flat front

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Keeping a flat front

Post by Coder »

I have a few denim skirts (or denim-like) that have a zip and the way they fit the zippered part waves. It's is totally on the fabric, and nothing underneath is causing the issue. Is this a matter of hip to waist ratio? I bought one of these used:

And while it fits perfectly, when walking around it tends to form a wave in the front, and this isn't the only one. You can see in the pic there's a subtle wave at the zipper. Is there some sort of stay that can be used to keep the fabric straight? Non-zippered skirts don't seem to have this issue.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Keeping a flat front

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Coder
Just wear it and don't worry about it. It is just one of those things that happens.
Dick
2-19-22Aweb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Coder,
Don't worry about it. All of my zippered skirts do the same thing. it is caused by the way the zippers are sewn and the way the fabric lays.
Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I agree with others: don't worry about it. I don't have any demin skirt but have it with most of my trousers, almost nodoby did say anything about it (or will do). The rare people saying anything (I think I have had remarks about it less than 10 times), I reply them that it's the textile which does that, and if they don't believe me I show them by grasping it and showing that there is no [biip] causing that effect. I had once a bonus reaction of someone asking if I was a woman disguised into a man, it was funny :lol:
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I've seen the wave in the fabric on women when they wear this type of skirt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The problem could be the tightness of skirt across the hips putting stress on the zipper panel.
This of course does not occur with a skaters type skirt no zip panel but ample hip room.
A pencil skirt is taut across the flat front with no zip panel but there can be bunching of the fabric depending on molding to the human body frame.
You won't find that with nzfreestyler whose clothing fits impeccably !

And then there is the bastard mispositioning of the fabric remnants for the jean conversion to skirt.
So what did you expect a perfectly symmetrical dimensioned with no flaws ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, don't worry about it, although what is assumed to be a wave on a woman may cause suspicion of budgie smuggling on a man.
I have aquired a few denim skirts without the front zipper fastening, not only for the reason you mention but also the fact the it looks too much like a traditional fly which is totally unnecessary on a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Thanks for all the replies - just going to live with it. As for the hips - the hips on this skirt are pretty expansive. The waistband is perfect. I tried pulling at the hips and shifting it around - didn’t help too much. Also tried stretching from the back to see if it needed more fabric in the front. No real change, might be because of how it’s pieced together.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Depends on the type of skirt and I find the type of underwear / hosiery also helps.
t2.jpg.120df01ddd1433562498619717524390.jpg
I wore this suit to an interview last year :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Well, update of sorts. I ended up wearing the skirt, and overall the zipper behaved properly during a 4-hour walk downtown. I think I was making a bigger deal of it than it was.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

There is a double standard that we are supposed to hide our natural bulge while women don't have to hide their natural body parts. While it would be inappropriate and distasteful to accentuate the bulge, men are given the message that the bulge is a threat to women and must be artificially attenuated. This is a sexist attitude and we men must not succumb to it. There is no shame in having male genitals.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't worry about it. The bulge may be there when I wear shorts/trousers so why should I worry about it when I switch to a skirt? OK, I don't try to emphasise it but then I don't try to minimise it either. It's a fact of anatomy and size.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I second Sinned's (Dennis') posting:

We have a male bulge when we wear trousers or shorts. Why should it be any different for skirts.or dresses?

John
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Male bicycle riders don't seem to worry.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

In fact, to say that a lot of guys participating in the Olympic Games are not worried would be an understatement.