LED skirt

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

LED skirt

Post by Coder »

https://www.instructables.com/Neopixel- ... Triggered/

Would be fun to wear - but not sure I could endure all the attention.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: LED skirt

Post by Dick Ackerman »

I love it. I want one. I think it would be fun out and about.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

What a brilliant idea. A truly amazing project. I think I would start with the LED's first as that could be the most problematic and with the most learning curve due to its unfamiliarity. I'll bookmark this site for future reference. As for the skirt an existing one could be used and the additional layers added.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

One of the more intriguing designs I've seen in that regard was a skirt with 8 LED strips spaced equally radially and vertically which were controlled by a flux-gate magnetic compass so the strip most closely aligned with north would illuminate.

I'm just not sure of the robustness of the "wearable electronics" and their performance in the laundry.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Novel Idea :D Great for a stage performer or a night
at "The Club" :D After watching the clip, the list of
components was given and that they are removable
for washing.

However, not my cup of tea. My Peacock days are
long over and done with :)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

That should be very funny to wear, I love it! :D
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Cute, funny but not something I would wear. How ever the electronics look like they could be fun to build.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Looked a bit more into this. She says that the led strips and so on are removable for laundry hence the velcro fixings. The whole assembly is not cheap! Going on her list of items the strips are about £17 per metre and 2m are required. The rest of the components are about £19. I've just done a first pass search to get a feel for the cost so a better search or alternatives may reduce the cost somewhat. Add in the extra layers of material and you are talking in the £60 range plus time and labour. Hmmm, need to consider further whether it is still a good idea as this area would be a completely new venture for me. The electronics and programming should be just up your street Carl.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:04 pmThe electronics and programming should be just up your street Carl.
The use of Velcro bothers me a bit because nothing can shred delicates like hosiery faster than Velcro hooks.

As far as the controller goes, the size of it would be in direct proportion to what you want to have the LEDs do and what the power-source needs to be to drive the lot. Back when I was in junior-high school in the '70s I designed and constructed a digital counter tie-clasp. All the electronics were on the clasp, but the power-supply had to be off-board and carried in a separate pocket thus leading to one being "wired".

I managed to lose it, likely in the Debacle of 2015.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Sinned wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:04 pm Looked a bit more into this. She says that the led strips and so on are removable for laundry hence the velcro fixings. The whole assembly is not cheap! Going on her list of items the strips are about £17 per metre and 2m are required. The rest of the components are about £19. I've just done a first pass search to get a feel for the cost so a better search or alternatives may reduce the cost somewhat. Add in the extra layers of material and you are talking in the £60 range plus time and labour. Hmmm, need to consider further whether it is still a good idea as this area would be a completely new venture for me. The electronics and programming should be just up your street Carl.
I think the Neopixels (WS2812B LED strips) could be sourced much more cheaply - Adafruit's prices are reasonable for small projects but not great when you want to make a lot of something. As for the other parts... probably stuck paying those prices unless you source a cheaper Accelerometer/Gyroscope and arduino board... which probably can be done - though if I were to build this out I'd probably just use the Adafruit boards as it simplifies having to engineer my own solution (yeah, I can be lazy sometimes).

This LED skirt - with its interaction with how the wearer moves - is far more interesting than the few LED skirts I've seen in person. Not to say the other attempts were poorly done - they were just decorative and didn't change when the wearer walked, etc...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The led strips are where the bulk of the cost is so alternative and cheaper alternatives would be better, I don't suppose that the make of the strips matters so much. As to the velcro then put the loops on the garment and hooks on the trips or put a temporary patch on the garment patches after removing the strips.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Sinned wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:04 am The led strips are where the bulk of the cost is so alternative and cheaper alternatives would be better, I don't suppose that the make of the strips matters so much. As to the velcro then put the loops on the garment and hooks on the trips or put a temporary patch on the garment patches after removing the strips.
I can’t vouch for the quality, but just search out WS2812B on eBay or aliexpress and should be able to find cheaper alternatives