Edwardian skirt

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Mercury

Edwardian skirt

Post by Mercury »

I just wanted to tell you all about a project I'm working on and really excited about. I found a book in the internet archive. It was published in 1895. In it there's a pattern for a walking skirt. It's mostly flat in the front and very full with lots of pleats in the back. I had to draft the pattern. I chose a medium weight teal solid cotton fabric. I used lightweight muslin for the lining. I have all the pieces sewn together, and I'm in the process of hand felling the seams. I think I'll use slightly stiff fabric for the hem facings to give it more of a bell shape. I'm making it almost floor length.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Edwardian skirt

Post by crfriend »

Mercury wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:34 pmI just wanted to tell you all about a project I'm working on and really excited about. I found a book in the internet archive. It was published in 1895. In it there's a pattern for a walking skirt.
You're going to have a gem once that's done. I have a few "walking skirts" that I bought and which look like they were made from period patterns and they're fabulous. You want it just a shade longer than ankle-length -- definitely not floor-length -- as these are designed to be practical "out and about" skirts, not fussy gowns that can drag on a clean floor.

If it's not full enough, add a petticoat to it; not only does that add body, but also warmth in the winter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mercury

Re: Edwardian skirt

Post by Mercury »

crfriend wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:21 pm
Mercury wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:34 pmI just wanted to tell you all about a project I'm working on and really excited about. I found a book in the internet archive. It was published in 1895. In it there's a pattern for a walking skirt.
You're going to have a gem once that's done. I have a few "walking skirts" that I bought and which look like they were made from period patterns and they're fabulous. You want it just a shade longer than ankle-length -- definitely not floor-length -- as these are designed to be practical "out and about" skirts, not fussy gowns that can drag on a clean floor.

If it's not full enough, add a petticoat to it; not only does that add body, but also warmth in the winter.
I'm planning to make it 36-38" which is a little less than floor length for me. I had planned to wear it during warm weather, but it's turned out to be heavier than I thought. That's fine. I guess it's a good idea to start thinking about my winter wardrobe anyway. I'm planning to make a few petticoats so that I can layer up for the winter. I would like to use the same skirt pattern and use lightweight wool, but that's not cheap. I also thought about using some rickrack close to the bottom edge. I don't know if that's period correct, although I guess I don't have to be too rigid about historical correctness.