Small bag to attach to skirts

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Small bag to attach to skirts

Post by Spirou003 »

Hi,

I started speaking about it in my introduction topic (here), I found a picture of a skirt embedded with a bag and I loved how it's done. Here's the picture.

I will definitely try it (one day, when I will have motivation for it, on a 36 february, over a rainbow unicorn, etc). But I'm not sure how I will make the attach part. I don't have these steel pieces right now thus I will have to be creative if I do it in a "not too long time". And also I think it could be useful to somebody else than me now or in the future, in this case it will be easier to find here than somewhere in an obscure introduction topic.

I'm thinking about something similar with some velcro. Each steel piece will be replaced by a velcro system. It would be a classic (strength) ribbon with grip velcro near from the bag and non-grip velcro at the other end, and I will pass it throught the fabric pieces which usually serves to keep belt in place. There will then be two ribbons with velcro, that will work independantly from each other.

What do you think about this idea? Sounds it feasible? Would you prefer using another attach-system? Should it be any problem with adding fabric pieces to hold the bag? Which color looks best suited for all sorts of skirts?

I'm quite enthousiatic with this because it seems to be a nice way to solve the skirt-pocket problem. While for some skirts it's easy to add pockets (open one seam (not sure about this word), add the pocket and eventually a zipper to close it), there are skirts with which you can't do that (unadapted fabric or not enough skills), you can eventually add an external pocket but it's often ugly particularly when you don't have original fabric to use for. As opposite, a such bag with well chosen colors, will be universal, will fit with all kind of skirt and won't require to have similar fabric than the skirt (which is often when you buy it in some shop, and buying two skirts to have it is not compatible with "think green"). It will probably requires to add small fabric pieces to skirts to allow attaching this bag, but it's a small task to be done and even without the bag it can stays at least a bit stealth.

Keep in mind it have to be strength, as it will be a floating bag holding most likely important things, I don't want it to be ripped off by somebody else. The only way it could be (even if I hope it won't ever happen), is if the skirt is broken while ripping off (which implies to try very powerfully) (Yes, I'm a bit paranoid)

Thank you and have a nice week-end :)
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Small bag to attach to skirts

Post by trainspotter48 »

Spirou,

The clips that attach the bag to the belt loops are probably available as keyrings, and are also commonly found on the end of dog leads. Other than that, the remainder of the bag appears to be a 'simple' (0) piece of sewing (or fabric technology if you prefer).

(0) I have placed the word simple in inverted commas because much of this will depend on one's personal skills with fabric, scissors and sewing machine (or needle and thread).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

trainspotter48 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:20 amThe clips that attach the bag to the belt loops are probably available as keyrings, and are also commonly found on the end of dog leads.
Indeed, never overlook the hardware store for interesting ideas.

When looking about for a strap for a custom-made purse that my late ex- did for me she opted to use a length of chain from the hardware store and had me fit small clasps to the ends of the chain so the strap would be removable so I could either carry it as a clutch or wear it cross-body. It worked brilliantly and looked pretty good, too.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

trainspotter48 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:20 am Spirou,

The clips that attach the bag to the belt loops are probably available as keyrings, and are also commonly found on the end of dog leads. Other than that, the remainder of the bag appears to be a 'simple' (0) piece of sewing (or fabric technology if you prefer).
I think what you’re looking for are called lobster clasps. There’s plenty of sellers in UK on eBay If you put that in the search on your own country’s then doubt loads will come up You can choose for yourself
:roll:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

And before you know it, you have re-invented the good old sporran. ;)

There are also carabiner clips. Just check the hardware in your DIY store. You also have to take into account the width of the belt loops. Some are small (1/2") and some are wide. The clip has to be able to get around the loop.

If you want to go the macho route, buy a webbing pistol belt. The webbing has holes where you can hook-on a pistol holster but also some ammo pouches. Maybe one of those pouches will fill your need.

https://www.lofty.com/products/ww1-1918 ... re-1-hxyyj

And you can hook-up a water bottle.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

[*]
beachlion wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:09 pm And before you know it, you have re-invented the good old sporran. ;)

There are also carabiner clips. Just check the hardware in your DIY store. You also have to take into account the width of the belt loops. Some are small (1/2") and some are wide. The clip has to be able to get around the loop.

If you want to go the macho route, buy a webbing pistol belt. The webbing has holes where you can hook-on a pistol holster but also some ammo pouches. Maybe one of those pouches will fill your need.

Weird isn’t it. I never considered before that’s what I’ve been doing when dog walking. Received several compliments from ex military types about my interesting reuse of a gas mask bag.
:roll:
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

thanks for the giggle BeachLion :bom:
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Hi guy,

Sorry to not having answered earlier, I was somehow busy, combined to the overhead I have by writing in english, which is not easy for me.

Thanks for your comments, I take note of the ideas!
In fact I realized on the first night after posting that my idea could only result in something bum. Belts (in leather or any other fabric) look nice on skirt/pant because they are flattened. In my use case it would have been regular fabric, suspended to the loops, causing ugly folds. When I'll have more time I will post a photo to illustrate this, it will maybe be clearer.

Regarding sporran, it's not really what I thought about because when it's attached, it's like a slack belt with a bag somewhere. I was speaking about a bag hanging the same way than in the photo I referred in my first post.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

If you use a belt than your problem is more or less solved. With a fabric bag make a wide loop or two smaller loops on top and put your belt through.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have a military looking shoulder bag the looks masculine and has velcro flap compartments for cell phone, credit card case, etc. I have had two smart remarks about it. I just say it goes with my panties. That stopped it.