Heavy denim skirt

For those do-it-yourselfers...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Heavy denim skirt

Post by beachlion »

After two black twill knee-long skirts I liked and one in a light grey fabric I did not liked that much I made one in a heavy denim. Because of other jobs it took me quite long to finish. But it is still on time to wear it because spring is nowhere near. I don't know if grey or black tights will be better with this skirt. I have to try.

The shoes have heels of 3 1/4". I ordered them last September but they needed some stretching. The shoes went into the shoebox and were stored on a shelf and disappeared from my radarscreen. A week ago I was looking for black pumps with a 3 1/4" heel but I found no appealing shoes. So I checked my orders from Amazon which brands I had ordered before. And there I found my order of September. I had forgotten that order. I'm getting old I'm afraid. Now they are stretched and brought into circulation.
IMG_0146qq.jpg
IMG_0148qq.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Heavy denim skirt

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi Beachlion,

Wow - what a neat job. You made that skirt. Well done!
I am terrible - I buy all my skirts etc, have never tried to make one.
I do hem repairs etc on some of my dresses and skirts (as you do) but thats it for me!

Hosiery - I would recommend a neutral stocking/pantyhose - whichever hosiery style you wear. This is particularly of you are going to wear a high heel pump - a neutral stocking will profile the shoe better, and black stockings don't pair so well with navy (in my opinion).

Forgive me - you must have large feet - my feet are up quite a bit higher in my heels - or the angle of my foot is steeper if that makes sense?

And they're a neat pump because I see they are not too pointy - which if you're not really used to the pointy toe its nice to have a less aggressive toe shape.

Its a great look on you! Well done.

cheers
NZF
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:43 am..... Forgive me - you must have large feet - my feet are up quite a bit higher in my heels - or the angle of my foot is steeper if that makes sense? ..../quote]

My European size is 42,5 to 43, my US male size is 9 and the US female size is 11. If a heel is higher, the same size shoe will be steeper. This heel is 3 1/4" so if you compare it to your 4" or 5" heels I'm 3/4" or 1 3/4" lower in the heel section.

I have 4" heels (picture) but they are pointy and too tight in the toebox. I keep them just for decoration. ;)
The scars from my motorbike accident in 1976 are still visible. That accident also made my right ankle less flexible.
IMG_0101q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

nice pumps!!
Personally I prefer a pointy toe - although I must admit I do have round toe heels too!

I wear 39EU to 40EU - and B width because my feet are narrow. Typically the higher heels are smaller sizes for me.
I am quite high up in 5 inches.

These pumps are a newer pair but thats my angle in a 4.5 '' heel. Its supposed to be 4 inches but measuring the back of the heel its higher.

These are my favourite 5' (measured 130mm) - not my pointiest - but the highest I can wear for a day. I have them in yellow and black as well.
I generally wear them to match and 'pop' a colour in a dress or skirt - eg a multicolour floral dress can work with bright shoes.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I wear skirts for comfort but also shoes. With the 3 1/4" chunky heels I can walk for a 10 to 15 minutes. After that I have to change shoes for a short period and than change into the 3 1/4" again. With the 3 1/4" I did a test run to the mailbox late at night. It is a 20 minute walk one way and I had change to other shoes around the halfway point for a short period.

I think you have to start young to be able to walk on those spikes. As I live near an airfield, I need to wear a red flashing light on my head in your shoes. ;)

But I find it impressive how you walk on those shoes.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I can do all day on my feet in any of my high heels. ok - perhaps not some - like the heel-less high heels are easy to walk in but hard to stand still in - so I wouldn't want to spend all day standing in them! As for regular heels though - I find them fine for all day wear.

I have worn heels for at least 15 years now, and I have almost never worn a flat in the last 5 years, so I am a pretty serious wearer I suppose.
I just find them more comfortable and I can still do everything in heels. I don't have to think about my heels anymore - it just sort of works for me,

I prefer how the shoes look, and I like that they lengthen my leg and make my feet look smaller. A high heel adds some refinement to a dress or a skirt.

nb. I don't drive a car in high heels mainly because it damages my shoes! I can drive in heels but I put flats on in my car.

cheers
NZF
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

If you shop on amazon < I wear a US men's 9 I find the Brinley co ladies 10 a very comfortable fit.

Because I am a little bit heavier I usually stick to the clunky type heels I find the Maryjane style with a strap easy to wear especially if you are going to wear them for an extended period.

The skirt is very nice and the heels enhances the look
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

All shoes from the ladies side are ordered, most of them through Amazon. Most shoes just fit if ordered in US 11. Some had to be stretched a little to feel comfortable. Smaller than 11 would be impossible for me to even pull on. In Europe I went from 42 to 42,5 over the years because your feet seem to expand in time. The last years in the Netherlands I bought Mephisto shoes, a French brand with high quality shoes. Those were very durable and a good fit. They were labeled as EUR 42,5 US 9. Before the French shoes I had Italian shoes and they also had a great fit. For me a good fit is when you feel supported all around without the slightest pinching when walking.

I don't like the mary jane type of shoes because in my optics it breaks the flowing line from your legs down to your feet. I bought one pair to proof it for myself. ;)
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I tried the outfit with (a) grey panty tights and I think I can pull it of going out in the cold (at least above freezing).
IMG_0159qq.jpg
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi Beachlion

Well done - the grey tights do coordinate ok. I reckon a grey pantyhose or stockings would look better - more polished than a tight/opaque - but its a personal choice. I see you heels have changed - I preferred the thinner heel, but again its a style preference.

I'm with you on ankle strap theory - they cut the ankle/leg in a line - and the advantage of high heels is lengthening your legs, yet an ankle strap will shorten your legs with a horizontal line at the ankle.
As for fit - well I wear bare feet mostly and sometimes sheer stockings, so I like a very snug fit. Often the patent high heel pumps take a bit of breaking in because the patent is stiff but a good quality shoe softens and molds itself to the wearers foot. Certainly need a good firm fit to control the heel easily, loose high heels are an accident waiting to happen.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

The gray tights look fine they are a good match

pumps do look nicer with the skirt. when I wear a pair of shoes for a full days office work I tend to forget what I have on and the strap and clunky heels to me are easier to wear because I don't have to remember I have heels on . If you understand what I mean